“Bad Seed”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Roswell Rd
Description: Seed Kitchen & Bar is a chef driven, modern American neighborhood restaurant by Chef Doug Turbush located at Merchant's Walk in East Cobb. The expansive boutique wine program provides cherry picked wines at incredible values. Mixologists stir up vintage and modern takes on cocktails, and American and International Craft beers are on tap in this vibrant, sleek and modern setting designed by Ai3.
“Bad Seed”
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Until now, we have considered Seed Kitchen to be at the very top level of Atlanta area dining excellence, our favorite go-to restaurant upon any occasion. Until now. It turns out there is a Good Seed and a BAD Seed. Our effort--my wife and I--to have lunch today (Thursday, April 10th) was an absolute disaster. I was engaged in a series of transactions at the nearby branch of my bank, and when we took a break, I invited my wife to drive over from home so we could have lunch together. We walked in, without a reservation, and waited--and waited--and waited. The hostess, alone at her desk, disappeared for a long period. Then she took a long reservations phone call -- while the line grew and grew. Then she walked away to bus tables -- obviously, no bus boy had showed up, because dirty glasses and dishes sat untouched on several tables. As she left, she told the people at the end of the line it would be at least five minutes before she could seat them. We were only second in line, but it already had been 10 minutes for us. The lady in front, also without reservation, had been left standing just as long, on her first visit (--and probably her last) with bad knees. When I went over to talk to a server about the problem, he said there were only three of them there on this day. My wife and I walked out at that point and had lunch--a good one--at another nearby restaurant. I think I did see the chef-owner, Doug Turbush, working in the kitchen. The impression left on this day is either the restaurant is suddenly in financial trouble (--I hope not; we have dined at Seed a number of times, for dinner, weekend brunch, special holidays, and lunch at least once before, and had never been disappointed until now) or else it was very badly managed and staffed on this day. Either way, Turbush, particularly if he were indeed present, needs to address this quickly. As my wife said as we walked away, "Has Seed GONE TO SEED !!"

• Visited April 2014

Woodstock, Georgia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

We were so excited to try Seed after having read the reviews. The place was bustling on a Wednesday night, interesting and affordable wine list, the menu looked great. The server pushed the fish special, with roasted cauliflower and brussel sprouts, and it sounded perfect. So disappointing, it was WAY over-salted. This was a special occasion and I didn't want to make a big deal by sending it back, but probably should have. My dining companion had the chicken schnitzel-it sounded good, but the sauce was much too fussy and overdone. The schnitzel was well-cooked, but the sauce was totally overwhelming. Guess we both think of schnitzel as possessing a bit more of a delicate touch. Have to say that the service was excellent, loved the ambience, and we will give it another try. But next time it will be lunch, not a special dinner. We'll still choose Bistro VG as our "north of Buckhead" dinner choice

Visited March 2014
2 Thank 508traveler
Marietta, Georgia
“Make a reservation. It is worth it!”
Reviewed March 10, 2014 via mobile

This has become one of my husband and my favorites. You have to make a reservation though or you may not get in. They have seasonally changing menus with ingredients from local farms. Everything I have had has been delicious! They have an extensive wine menu and unique cocktails. Some of the servers have seemed a little up tight, but we have been served by Keath the past few times and he was wonderful. On a seperate night check out their wine bar, Stem, as well.

“Fresh and creative cuisine”
Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

The food at Seed is very fresh and the menu changes often. The veggies are fantastic, staff is knowledgable and they provide excellent recommendations. Drinks are unique and the environment is quite pleasant. You won't regret eating here!

“Special treat”
Reviewed March 5, 2014

This was a first time visit but it won't be the last! The vibe here feels more like a California restaurant than East Cobb. When the weather warms, sitting outside will complete the CA feel. Service was excellent with a very knowledgeable server. There is an extensive wine list and also craft beer. My husband had a filet which he said was THE best. I had scallops & pork belly over butternut squash risotto which was delicious. This is more of a special occasion restaurant for me but still on the casual side.

• Visited February 2014

Been to Seed Kitchen & Bar? Share your experiences!