“The good and bad....”

The Chicken And The Egg
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chicken And The Egg is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #24 of 748 Restaurants in Marietta
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chicken and the Egg is a neighborhood gathering spot that will serve sophisticated yet approachable American farmstead fare. Our name represents the cycle of life and the importance of sustainability. We want to help minimize the negative impact humans leave on this planet. The menu at Chicken and the Egg features innovative twists on classic American dishes. The cuisine will incorporate seasonal ingredients from local farms and purveyors as well as sustainable beef, pork, poultry and seafood. Marc Taft is the chef/owner and will utilize approachable ingredients that are thoughtfully constructed and highlight what the earth has to offer.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

My husband and I have heard raving reviews about this restaurant, so we decided to go for New Year's Eve. For starters, it is much larger inside that I had imagined. The ambiance is really welcoming.....think about a really big Pottery Barn breakfast room. Simple, fashionable, country chic. One note: It was uncomfortably loud in the restaurant. While it was crowded, there was a definite echo, which magnified the volume. Adding some hidden fabric throughout the restaurant could easily help with this.

Now, to our experience......Our server was wonderful! She was the perfect mix of no-nonsense, funny, and super-knowledgable. Considering she was managing about 7 tables (on NYE!), she was absolutely outstanding!

Our food:

For an appetizer, we ordered the mushroom toast. Excellent choice! Garlic crostini with herbed goat cheese, sauteed mushrooms, arugula and drizzled tupelo honey....delish!! We highly recommend this dish, and look forward to trying it again.

My husband ordered the special of the night: ribeye steak with crab meat, grilled asparagus and garlic mashed potatoes. His steak was perfectly cooked, as was the asparagus. This was definitely a winner.

I ordered the scallops with pimento cheese grits. Interesting dish, with tons of flavor. The dish was topped with arugula, which added another element of flavor. While the scallops and grits were delicious, I was really disappointed in the small amount of food that was served. There were four very small scallops on top of approximately 1/2 cup of grits. To put this in perspective, I have had gastric bypass surgery, and typically eat about a quarter of what is served to me....I cleaned my plate. Needless to say, I'm glad my husband did not order the scallops, as he would have left the restaurant hungry.

So, that was our exprience. Great service and good food, but overall, not as impressive as I had hoped.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

The servers were funny, helpful and outstanding! Steven made my day with sense of humor. I had the mushroom toast and would definitely go back for more. There was never a time was in need of anything. Everything I had heard about Chicken and the Egg was true!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Had southern stroganoff and the braised pork consisted of 3 crouton sized pieces of meat. The meat was very greasy, just nasty. We had a large group of people so the gratuity was included but we could not get drink refills. They removed the baskets do bread after everyone had 1 piece, no more was offered. My meal was $16.50! Would never go back.

1  Thank TammyLee h P
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a great place that will surprise you. It is in an 'upscale' strip mall, we have been there a dozen times and it always amazes us how large it is inside. The service is always great and the food is well presented and prepared. The menu changes fairly frequently so there are usually new things to try. Easily the best contemporary restaurant in Marietta.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

Food was ok. My husband didn't like his food at all. He stated the meat tasted like it was not clean and from the bad part of an animal. I enjoyed my entree. The cocktail was pretty good and I don't care for dark liquor. If I was to go back (hubby said he is not going), I'll ask them to leave off the sauce from the fried liver (aptzr). The dessert was not good.