“Marvelous Mirko's”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Marietta HWY
Reviewed June 28, 2012

We really like this place, and this summer they are doing some nice specials, including $1.75 Stellas on Tuesdays, and, here's a good one, you get a whole bottle of wine for the price of a glass on Mondays. How's that for a deal?

On a recent visit, we had a very good experience. The service was good and the food was great. The portions are pretty big, so you might want to split your entree if you get an appetizer. We took food home. Afterwards, you can get cupcakes or yogurt and the two places next door, so save room for dessert!

Reviewed April 17, 2012

We've eaten at Mirko on a number of occasions and the food is consistently good. My particular favorite is the four-cheese ravioli with funghi sauce. Salads are good as are the rolls with white bean dipping sauce. Service can be very inconsistent though -- sometimes your server is fantastic and other times they seem too busy or distracted. The last time we went, our server forgot both our drinks and our bread -- we had to remind them and then had to ask multiple times for the check. This was lunch time on a Saturday and it wasn't that busy either! Honestly, I would prefer a counter ordering system like you see at Figo and other Mirko locations.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I was looking forward to fresh pasta but was very disappointed in this restaurant. My pasta was overcooked and lacked flavor. My meatballs were also overcooked and rubbery. My daughter's pasta arrived cold. Very disappointing experience and we won't be returning.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

My wife and I have eaten at Mirko on a few occasions, most recently with a large group of friends (8 of us, in all). We typically enjoy the experiences, but there's always something that sours the experience. This last visit was a 50/50 of the good and the bad typically the balance is closer to 85/15, respectively.

We tried to call for reservations, but were told they only take reservations for 10 or more, and there's no call-ahead seating. This place is tiny, so the no reservations is a major surprise.
We arrived a half hour before our party to put our name in, and it still took them 50 minutes to seat us. Most people won't stick around for that long with all the other options in the area, so I assume they'll change their reservation policy once the 'new place' crowd dwindles.
Once seated, things started smoothly. Drinks served, orders taken, appetizers delivered, and pasta explained. The appetizers seem to always be well done. My wife and I love the Caprese salad, which is a simple dish of roma tomato slices, topped with basil and fresh mozzarella with a splash of fresh olive oil. Its always great! Someone else got the mussels as an app, and all who tried said they were quite good. Though, there were a couple that didn't open that were on the plate. A more scrupulous place would pick them out.
The meal is where things turned. 7 of 8 of us were served, but one dish was forgotten. However, NO ONE came over to apologize/acknowledge the mistake for a good 5 minutes. That's no exaggeration either. It was noticed by the server, but our waitress never came over to apologize until the manager came over and gave the guest who's dish was overlooked some complimentary soup to hold him over (which he didn't even like/want). They didn't even comp his meal. Worst of all, all our meals were cold as we didn't want to be rude and start before he was served. Terrible handling of the situation by the staff. Once we started digging in, I found some of my pasta to be, um, super al dente (read: hard to chew), though the taste was OK. Another diner was missing the mozzarella in her dish, and another said their dish didn't taste all too great.
After we finished, as we were wrapping up, without asking us, they said they were giving us a complimentary dessert for our troubles. Nice gesture, but NONE of us wanted the dessert because we had plans to go elsewhere for dessert. Just comp the original missed meal or take 10% off all our checks. That's the best remedy for the situation. Not forcing food on us that we don't want.

Again, we've had better experiences there, but as I said, you shouldn't expect a great dining experience. Why such the high score you ask? The value is good. Prices are reasonable for fresh made pasta, and when things are prepared well, they taste very good. Its just that this isn't always the case. We will most likely go again, but if the consistency doesn't improve, I fear Mirko will fall off our consideration lists.

Reviewed March 22, 2012

We tracked the progress of this restaurant as it went into Merchants Walk.. ready to have some where new to eat. It opened and we tried it.. to our disappointment. A salad we ordered and its description on the menu were not the same.. the menu salad and this salad did have one thing in common .. something green.. the pasta was not hot.. so with other choices around we can say we have been here 2 times the first time and the last time