“Appetizers & Dessert ROCK”

Marietta Fish Market
Ranked #15 of 753 Restaurants in Marietta
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Visited last night with my husband and son to celebrate my birthday. This was our first visit to this restaurant though we have often enjoyed meals at their sister restaurant, Marietta Diner.

The first thing to know is that every item from the appetizers through desserts is ENORMOUS! Ordering 'lite' may not save you from feeling you have enough leftovers to feed a small country...but it will help. Better yet, order and share because there is some amazing food here.

Hubby had a shrimp cocktail appetizer and the fisherman's platter for dinner. His opinion of the app was that the shrimp were properly cooked (not rubbery), had good flavor and texture and were served icy cold. His opinion of the cocktail sauce that came with it was that it was rather bland. They might do better to offer horseradish extras for those who like their cocktail with a bit more zip. His dinner platter was huge - more like a serving platter - and loaded with fish filets, shrimp, scallops, stuffed crab and stuffed clam. The stuffed crab had plenty of crab in it - not a crouton with a crab waved nearby like some places. He very much enjoyed the hush puppies and the slaw. He chose fried okra for his side and was a bit dissapointed with that. He brought home a full takeout box of seafood which he and my son had for lunch today!

My adult son ordered 2 appetizers thinking he'd eat a bit lighter. The first was a shrimp/scallop/oyster fondue. Again the portion was HUGE. Served in what I would consider a serving bowl at home, this item was rich and flavorful and loaded with seafood, mushrooms and spinach. Cheesy, creamy, with a bit of sherry this goody came with a toasted garlic bread. The challenge here was that the huge bowl came with 4 tiny slivers of toast. We asked for more and the waitress, Shannon, quickly obliged. Son ate every bite of this (except the ones we swiped from him!). His 2nd app was the fish tacos. He expected 2 small tacos and a little cup of corn/black bean salsa. The platter arrived with 4 tacos, a soup bowl full of the salsa and a yummy sauce for the tacos. He finished one of them and some of the salsa and said it was delicious. Again a full box of 3 tacos and a pint container of salsa came home as leftovers and were enjoyed as his dinner tonight.

Finally, I ordered a small serving of the Zuppa de Pesca (fish soup). Again even the small was Giagantic...but I'm not complaining because again it was delicious. This soup has a tomato base and was loaded with both seafood and veggies. Fish, scallops, shrimp...yummy! My dinner was order from the "Senior - Lighter Version" at the back of the (also HUMOUNGOUS) menu. I did a choose 2 dinner and picked grilled scallops and fried clam strips. The clam strips were perfect and sweet. The scallops were large and perfectly cooked, but someone had a bit of a heavy hand with the old bay giving them an odd flavor. I removed some of it by scraping with my fork and ended up using a bit of tartar sauce to tame it - sadly that took away from the sweet taste of what seemed to be good scallops. My dinner came with hush puppies as well - I admit I like mine more cornmeal-y and after 2 bites passed mine along to hubby. I also had slaw which I agree with hubby was very good. I chose broccoli for my side and cannot comment on how it tasted as my plate arrived with slices of undercooked squash instead.

If we had the opportunity for a do over on this meal, we would all have stuck with just appetizers (or if ordering entrees would have chose baked sweet/potatoes for our sides and brought them home as well).

We finished up with a single slice of 7 Sins cake for dessert. Honestly, another HUGE serving and had it not been my birthday I'd have passed it up completely like I have at Marietta Diner...but dang my mouth is glad I didn't! The waitress had picked up on the fact that it was my birthday and luckily someone told her not to make a big deal about it...but she did arrive with my cake sporting a single lit candle and wished me a happy birthday as she dropped it off. They do sing if asked but I hate that kind of thing...far too old for the attention of strangers imo. The cake has so much chocolate, cream, cake, mousse, etc. going on I could not begin to guess what all is in it. Suffice it to say it was chocolate heaven and after a few nibbles it came home as well. The draw of this one over the dozens of others on offer was that it had a cannoli on top and that was as delicious as I hoped.

This place is big - holds up to 610 people - and has lots of parking. We saw small groups, families, couples all enjoying themselves. It's appropriately lit for any occasion and the noise level is perfect - neither too loud nor too quiet. We would visit here again and would recommend it to others for any occasion or meal.

Reviewed November 23, 2013

Part of the Marietta Diner chain, this restaurant specializes in seafood. Always fresh and cooked the way you want it. Try the seafood nachos!

Reviewed November 11, 2013

You will not go away hungry! The lunch specials are a good deal. After eating here, we won't go back to Red Lobster where the food is sub-par and over-priced. We have to travel over 30 minutes to get here, but we still go once a month. Love it!

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is definitely a great "go-to" restaurant when friends or family are in town. The hot crab dip is good for starters and table bread is hard to resist. I've not had a bad meal here and would recommend it to anyone who loves seafood.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

They have affordable lunch combos that have large portions with both fried and baked options.
I enjoy their hush puppies, and they have delicious cakes with a wide selection of variety.

Been to Marietta Fish Market? Share your experiences!