“Beautiful, southern getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Madison B&B and Inns
Watkinsville, Georgia
“Beautiful, southern getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

I surprised my husband to an overnight stay at the James Madison Inn and it was beyond my expectations. I worked for a luxury hotel company for several years and I felt the service and rooms here were equivalent. The room was very nice; in fact, I took pictures to use as a guide for the bedroom we build in our new house. The bed was comfortable. The decor was transitional and very fitting for the inn. It was a perfect, quaint and romantic getaway for his birthday. We had dinner at Town 220 Bistro and it was so good! Just steps from the Inn so very convenient. Madison is a lovely town and offers great shops and antiques. We also stopped at Perk Avenue for a glass of wine and yummy coconut cake bites. We will be back. Oh, and we only live 20 miles away and we felt like we were a world away.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
jamesmadisoninn, General Manager at The James Madison Inn, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear lgarrett0811,
Your experience with us at The James Madison Inn, is our expectation and goal in standard of guest service. We often have couples escaping to Madison where there is a surprise involved. With our intimate number of rooms, we can provide the attention to detail in guest experiences such as your own, and this is fun for us too. It's special when you feel like you've truly escaped and only live 20 minutes away!

The fact that you worked in the hotel industry yourself and spoke of your experience so positively is music to our ears. Thank you again for sharing your experience at our Inn, and we can't wait for you and your husband to return as our guests.

Until then,
Jake Grant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Covington, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I had a great time on our getaway to Madison! The James Madison Inn and Town 220 restaurant were the main reasons we went but the spa, Riccardo's, and the vintage shops were awesome too. The rooms are so cozy and comfortable. We will be back.

Cumming
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

We did not know what to expect when when we arrived but was thoroughly surprised. What we loved was the place matched the pics. The upkeep was very good. Diane showed us the suite which was right across .from our room. and we were amazed. The fireplace is such a great added touch.
There were 2 things which kept it from being excellent. When we arrived we could not find teh handicap entrance as it was not highlighted in plain sight. The vending machine was not working. It did not keep our money but also did not dispense the product.

Room Tip: Try and get a second floor room to possibly have a better view and maybe miss some the 1st floor roa...
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I was traveling for work and someone recommended this hotel. Let's say I know recommend this hotel to everyone! Words cannot describe how lovely it is. The rooms are immaculate, beautiful, charming. My bathroom had glass French doors and my room had a gas fireplace. Perfect for warming up in the mornings and winding down in the evening. The lobby is warm, inviting, with local artwork spread throughout. The service is unbelievable – personable and friendly, I received a hand written thank you note from the inn after my return home. I will likely not have a business reason to be back in Madison, GA but would absolutely take a trip just to stay at this lovely inn! The beds were so comfy, I wish I could give the sleep quality 10 stars!

Room Tip: upgrade to the suite
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Wrens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We went to the James Madison Inn for our 15th wedding anniversary and were very pleased with the wonderful accomadations and very friendly service. The rooms were beautiful and the fireplace, and chairs really set their rooms apart from other places we have stayed. We enjoyed a couples massage at the Spa right next door, and the food and shopping were a welcome experience we hope to enjoy again soon.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Julie H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Following a difficult start, making our booking from the UK was initially quite challenging, but on our arrival we were pleased that we had persevered, The James Maddison is delightful. A beautifully appointed new building but displaying good old fashioned elegant charm. We were directed to a second floor room overlooking the park. Well presented with beautiful bed linen, a most welcome large gas fire and glorious double basin bathroom, don't be put off by a previous reviewers report on the glass doors! They're well frosted and look and work absolutely perfect! We were not troubled by either the noise of the train, in fact when you've listened to it a couple of times you accept it's part of the charm of the town, or noise from the road or park. I acknowledge that we did stay in Dec/Jan holiday period when it's probably quieter but having said that we did sleep with the balcony door open for fresh air! Similar to previous reviews, there was noise from the upstairs occupants, the clomping about on the above wooden floors not the best of design ideas! The wooden hallways are not really an issue, I think it's fair to expect most guests to be considerate when tooing and frooing from their rooms. There are no coffee making facilities or refrigerator, we put our bottled water out on the balcony to keep cool, but I can imagine in warmer weather this would not be viable, but there is coffee and tea making facilities downstairs along side a fridge so it's not really an issue. Moving on to the breakfast, well being critical yes it doesn't match up to expectations. The fruit offered is limited choice, and the morning I wanted to try the waffles the lady serving disappeared so there was no one to request them from! I don't recall bacon being available and personally I prefer my eggs poached rather than scrambled, but hey a change is as good as a rest.I must note that my husband really enjoyed the cinnamon bread. The Maddison would benefit from a few little tweaks and it could easily move into the excellent category.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2013

If you are looking for a good dose of southern charm and hospitality, look elsewhere. My business colleague and I checked in on a Wednesday evening and the surly front desk attendant greeted us with an efficient, "credit card and driver's license." She seemed like she wanted to be somewhere else and couldn't be bothered to welcome us. A friendly "hello" and "welcome" would have been too much for her. We were told the hotel was not full, but when I realized my room was on the side of the hotel facing the road and had considerable traffic noise, I asked if I could have a room on the side of the hotel facing the quiet park. "No." I was told. "There are no other rooms." It might not have made a difference because it turns out most of the noise in the hotel was coming from adjacent rooms. I believe Japanese rice paper might be all that separates the rooms, and the clatter of large dogs walking on the wood floor overhead (we were on the 2nd floor - there are residences on the 3rd floor - and they have dogs) kept me from getting to sleep. An odd clanging noise behind the bed of my colleague kept him awake all night (along with the dogs), and if you stay there, pray the party in an adjacent room does not snore. The breakfast was mediocre at best, but if we had needed anything it would have been hard to ask for since the breakfast room attendant apparently had some vitally important matter to tend to that required her to spend most of her time in the hallway, on her phone, texting through the matter. We were booked for two nights but checked out after the first. We felt getting a good night's sleep was more important than enjoying the quaintness of the inn. We travel to Madison often on business and will definitely opt to drive to the next town where there are other hotel options and see if we can't find some of that southern charm there.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank RoderickG754
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Holiday Inn Express Madison
#5 of 6 in Madison
Hampton Inn Covington
Hampton Inn Covington
#1 of 9 in Covington

Been to The James Madison Inn? Share your experiences!