“O'Hara's is now Maggie's on the Square” 5 of 5 bubbles

Got a photo?
Add it.
Maggie's on the Square
Tampa Bay
“O'Hara's is now Maggie's on the Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2010

It was a slow afternoon (rainy March weather) in this vintage building on the main drag in beautiful Madison. The young new owner, who is also the chef, gave us personal attention. We had previously selected our dishes from the menu on the Web (still www.oharasrestaurant.com) and we were not disappointed. The chef is imaginative in preparation and creative in presentation. He gave his own interpretation to a wonderful she-crab soup with thyme, oregano, cayenne and lobster oil, and the fried green tomato stack with red onion, goat cheese and red pepper remoulade was fantastic. My husband's pot roast was meltingly tender. We scraped our plates.

Columbia, SC
“OVERRATED”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2009

I found this restaurant to be overrated. The food is overpriced for both its quality and its portions. The service was extremely poor. I had to ask for the manager due to the lack of attention, length of time to get a sandwich, and just plain rudeness by the staff. This was not at a time when they were overly busy. The staff just seemed more interested in paying attention to their friends than other customers. I won't be back!

Fillmore, California
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

We travel with our small dog so it poses a problem in finding a decent place to eat since we need to find outdoor dining. While in Madison we stumbled across Ohara's and decided to give it a try. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and the low prices. The menu varies daily and the selections are not typical bar food. I enjoyed a great salad and my husband had a wrap that was delicious. We ate their twice, once on our way to our final destination and once on the way back. I will definitely eat there again the next time I pass through. The only negative would be the traffic noise. According to one of the other diners, the city council is working on eliminating the large trucks driving through the historic district. This would definitely help the overall appeal of this beautiful town and the dining experience

2 Thank JoeyDog

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
atlanta, GA
“Can I steal the chef?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2007

As I took my first sip of the comforting sweet tea, my mind skipped down the sidewalk of youth lined w/white picket fences to grandma's front porch on a warm spring day.

Soon after, I was given a nonassuming present, encased in a beautiful white jewel box of a napkin. Your tonge tingles as you realize this is no ordinary bread. The spices dance on your tongue as the jalapeneo tangos with the sweet kiss of homemade strawberry jam and a flower of whipped butter.

When the assitant waitress came to take away the stomach-warming concoction, I glared her away. My basket, now safe, was my new companion for the night....for now.

My very own garden delight was brought to me. A mix of greens topped with crumbles of fresh blue cheese and crunchy pine nuts. All this, coated in a slightly sweet brown glaze, of what, I don't know, but it was heaven.

My entree, my entree...the wait was excrustaing, but I was to be handsomelly rewared for mýpatience. My waitress with a warm smile brought over a white swimming pool. Filled before me was a wine broth circled by a black ring of mussels centere by a white target of just as beautifully shelled clams. The shells were filled inside and out with a generous sprinkle of chopped tomatoes and fresh corn kernals tipped black from the hot flame of the grill. All this frosted with a light snow of cheese slightly melting on the warm surface.
Tangy, sweet, crunchy.
Heaven.
The mix of flavors was a sin. The drool was hidden by the wine broth entering my mouth as my tongue begged each forkful of delight.

So sad. It was over. I resisted the devilish impulse to bring the pool to my head and down the remaining broth flirting before me.

As I conspired with my waitress on how to kidnap the chef to Atlanta. I realized dessert awaits.
The creme brulee was no more, but they had a "touch of sweetness" special each day, for which I asked.

I was given a warm pre-made soggy pastry unevenly filled with a strawberry and chocolate cheescake-like filling. This was saved by a partner of vanilla ice-cream striped with chocolate bands.

My stomach was happy none-the-less as I skipped across the street and wondered if a 5'2" food magician could be neatly folded into the trunk of a Z.

2 Thank aphotog