“The Greatest Dude Ranch in the World!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Madison
Southern Cross Ranch
Ranked #2 of 7 Madison B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife and I just returned from our tenth year of vacationing at the best Dude Ranch vacation in the world!!! I have been to many Dude Ranches in the World and this is by far the best of the best! If you like to ride horses and eat then this is Heaven on Earth! The family that runs this ranch have such a compassion for what they do and it shows! Southern Cross Ranch does everything humanly possible to make sure you and your family are having a great time! From Evon's homemade cookies (That I think she should package and sell!) to Inga's cooking, to Jim and Noel in the front office to Lance and Neva running the barn, you have the most happy and qualified people working so hard just to make sure you have a great time! Wes is a great wrangler and trail guide! Jim is a great singer, guitar player and hilarious to be around! His bonfires are legendary! My two daughters and family have grown up vacationing at the Southern Cross for 10 years now and hope to keep coming back and back and back for many more years!!!

Room Tip: They have different quality rooms, just ask for one that has things you may want such as a showew on...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ken896777

Reviewed November 15, 2013

My husband and I ranch annually in the US and this was our first time at Southern Cross. The staff were very nice and the horses were beautifully cared for. Food was very good and the whole place was really clean and comfortable. If I had one negative point it would be that choice of horse was done on a first at the barn first served basis. That meant for me, having found a horse that perfectly suited me, a rush to be at the barn far earlier than really necessary. However, I would recommend this destination fully. I also think tea and coffee making facilities should be available in the rooms....hopefully that will happen.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CaptainswifeCannes
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I took my daughter who is 12. She loved the riding. It was a bit quiet the week we went but she still had fun (she was the only child there). I would recommend this to couples and families. I will mention that there were quite a few people there solo. The advantage to the quiet week was we ate meals with everyone else who was there and we all got along great. Shared stories, laughed...
The food was awesome. Buffet style, but don't let that put you off. It was fabulous (and I'm not generous with food reviews).
The staff was friendly and accommodating as well. We had some really great rides, rode some excellent horses (I hope to ride Ballerina next time I'm there) and Big Dave was just the best!!!
So, I do hope to get there again either by myself or as a couple. Perfect for chilling out. Beautiful, quiet...and more.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank reallyobnoxious
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Spent three fantastic nights at this unique horse resort. Our bed-and-breakfast type accommodations were charmingly furnished, clean, and quiet. Resort staff, especially Jim, and even the other visitors were friendly, down to earth, and genuinely kind. Horses are certainly well cared for, gentle yet responsive, and guests have the option to ride by themselves without a guide. Food is phenomenal and plentiful, catering to many different taste levels. While this was our first time as guests at this ranch, it definitely will not be our last!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank tradestar
Reviewed October 20, 2013

What more could one ask for...horses that are very well cared for, cats lying about that want to be petted and a bunch of well behaved dogs..The ranch allows all us adults the ability to be cowgirls and cowboys for the stay..Divine food set out by the owner Inge and her staff and very very nice accomodations. My daughter and I rode twice a day and was pleased with the tempo of the ride(we are the trot/canter bunch) No need to fly to Montana when you have a swell Southern Cross Ranch in our backyard..yes, maam

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank GeorgianaS
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Southern Cross Ranch provides a great memory maker for the city family or the person with country roots who wants to introduce the family to the ways of farm life. The facility is quaint, clean, with a pool and community dining. Stay more than two nights and you are sure to feel like a part of the ranch.

Be sure to venture into town for some small community shopping.

While we were there we came upon a Civil War Re-enactment, complete with canons. Our daughter will never forget it. History lesson and ranch experience all in one!

Room Tip: If you have a little on, the room with the covered wagon is sure to be a hit. And mom and dad get th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at the ranch for two nights in August - one of the highlights of my trip! Everyone was so friendly (especially Jim, thanks for playing British songs on your guitar!) The food was great and it was so relaxing. Didn't want to leave! I only went horse riding once (I'm a beginner) but the man who rode with us - Dave - was so understanding and kept checking whether I was OK. Fantastic place to stay!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Hannah M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Madison
Hampton Inn Madison
#3 of 6 in Madison
Quality Inn Madison
Quality Inn Madison
#6 of 6 in Madison

Been to Southern Cross Ranch? Share your experiences!