“Discrimination”

Chanticleer Inn Bed and Breakfast
Reviewed October 26, 2007

We called and resevered the largest room available only to find out that they needed the ages of our children for the family stykle suite. Then they told us we were not welcome. I asked why they advertise for a family style suite with no mention that children are not welcome only to be told that they only want adults contarary to their website advertisment.

Stayed: October 2007
5  Thank corymc
ChanticleerOwner, Owner at Chanticleer Inn Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2007

In January of 2006, we decided to cater more to adults and less to families with small children(under age 10). While we love children (we have 4 boys), we found that small children can disrupt a peaceful breakfast for others. Since making this change, we have had almost no complaints from our guests about noisy children. If a group wants to book the entire Inn (for example a wedding party), then children are welcome.

Reviewed October 19, 2007

My boyfriend and I were passing by and stayed for one night. The location, room and main house is very cozy. The hospitality was wonderful, everyone was very friendly and the morning breakfast served was delicious. Rock City was only a few steps away from our B&B, very close. You can tell with the details in the room that the owners take pride in what they do. We will definitely return when given the chance!!!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travelb4udie
Reviewed June 17, 2007

My husband and I stayed here two nights on a weekend. The room was clean, elegantly decorated, and pleasingly quiet. The location of the inn is ideal for sightseeing on top of the mountain and only a few minutes drive from other attractions in Chattanooga. The bed was soft and slept well.

The breakfast however was very disappointing.

We emailed before booking about the breakfast and were given a varied menu of what sounded like delicious fare. BOTH mornings however, we were faced with the choice of two baked casseroles, very similar in their ingredients, the most common being cheddar cheese. (blech!)
The variety was lacking to say the least. We were very disappointed, especially being that both nights we stayed were weekend nights. I will end with a compliment: perhaps what was most dissapointing about the breakfast variety was that the elegant charm and atmosphere created a high expectation in our minds of what would be served in the inviting breakfast dining area.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank niniandjb
Reviewed June 14, 2007

We have stayed at Chanticleer 3 times now and sent our daughter and her husband there for their honeymoon. All 4 trips have been beyond wonderful. We ALWAYS get room 12 and I recommend it to anyone. It has a huge comfy king bed with tons of pillows, gas fireplace (in season) tons of window, very private, sitting area with books and magazines and couch and a huge modern bath with a lovely large jacuzzi. The room is decorated very prettily and has a TV and phone and lots of good lighting for reading and just plain relaxing. It has a private little sitting area outside under the trees with chairs and tables on the little cobblestone walk and the place is landscaped beautifully. The pool looks nice, but we always go in the winter and spring so it's always been closed when I was there. It's a nice size though. The breakfast are always filling, I think we have waffles, fruit and muffins one morning and I definately remember the sausage/egg/cheese breakfast casserole with fruit and grits! Convenient to the mountaintop cafe and Rock City, just a drive down the mountain to Chattanooga. It is a charming place and charming people.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MorningMuffin
Reviewed February 10, 2007

My best friend, her husband, and I visited the beautiful Chanticleer Inn in mid-October. The Chanticleer Inn is one of the most breathtaking, peaceful, and spectacular places I have stayed.

We arrived late in the night and our rooms were ready for us. After a peaceful and restful night in the cottage, we went to the main in for breakfast. Judy and Kirby, the wonderful inkeepers, welcomed us with open arms. It was so peaceful and quiet, we felt like we were eating in our own kitchen!. We had a delicious, home-cooked breakfast in the beautifully decorated dining room. Every morning the breakfast was a special treat. The pumpkin muffins were especially delicious!

Judy and Kirby took special care in helping us plan our stay. They told us when to visit the attractions and recommended the most amazing restaurants, which we never would have discovered otherwise. The Melon Patch was our personal favorite.

We had the pleasure of staying in Cottage 1. It is luxiouriously decorated, with all of the amenities required for a week-long stay.. We had the privacy of our own cottage, with the service of a full-service establishment. Each night, we returned to clean rooms and fresh ice.

Situated on Lookout Mountain, we were in walking distance of Rock City and quick drive to all of the major attractions. The historic community of Fairlyland is enchanting and the views of the Chattanooga Valley are amazing. I never felt so serene as I did in the week we spent at the Chanticleer Inn.

I hightly recommed the Chanticleer in for your next vacation. It would be perfect for that special trip or honeymoon!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
2  Thank shulamit
Reviewed February 10, 2007

The views on the way up the mountain to the inn, more than speak to the beautiful natural setting in which the Chanticleer is settled. The inn itself, located across the street from one of Georgia's finest natural wonders, Rock City, comfortably fits into its environment with a stone cottage motif on each unique building. We visited for our honeymoon, and found the staff both courteous and accommodating. Our room was better than anticipated. Overall, we had a lovely time and look forward to visiting again soon. Maybe a first anniversary...

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jermlm
Reviewed July 16, 2006

This inn was rather a disappointment, after seeing the website and reading other reviews. The setting was lovely, but we got off to a bad start when I handed the innkeeper my
confirmation and he said I had been given the wrong price, that it should be
$170 instead of $150 per night. He was going to change it until I asked for an explanation. He said I should be paying the weekend rate. I pointed out it was for a Thursday night, and he back-tracked. The room was pretty and well furnished, although the bathroom was tiny. The main problem was with the breakfast situation. Apparently, a large family group (with baby) was also booked there and completely took over the breakfast room, the noise
level was unbelievable, they were all shouting instead of just talking. Fortunately, there was a table at the far end of the living room my husband and I could use, but since their website even states "peaceful breakfast setting", it was a letdown, and the food situation was even worse. If there is a "gourmet chef" on the premises, he was not working that day, as breakfast consisted of a line of coffee cake, bagels and fruit along a sideboard
like you would find at any Days Inn. You also served yourself coffee and juice. A girl did come to our table and ask if we would like scrambled eggs. We said yes, and that is what
we got - a plate with plain scrambled eggs! I feel when a breakfast is made part of a feature of a place to stay, it should be a bit more out of the ordinary. The innkeeper's wife apologized for the noise as we were checking out, but it seems to me they should step in and attempt to make the situation comfortable for all guests, even if it means asking the offenders to quiet down. And since when do B&Bs allow babies, I thought the idea was for them to be an "adult" retreat?

• Stayed: July 2006
#39 of 96 in Chattanooga
Hampton Inn & Suites Chattanooga / Downtown
Wingate by Wyndham Chattanooga
Hilton Garden Inn Chattanooga / Hamilton Place

Been to Chanticleer Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!