“Beautiful colors”

Sweetwater Creek State Park
Reviewed November 6, 2013

We visited in October and the colors were lovely. We hiked the red and blue trails, both are relatively easy. I like that the park is dog friendly.

1  Thank meg g

Reviewed October 25, 2013

Nice scenic park with gillions of miles of trails, a gorgeous river and historic mill ruins. Too bad they charge for parking but sometimes Wednesdays may be free unless this practice has been discontinued. There is also a giant fishing lake in the park. Very close to Six Flags and West Atlanta. Access it off I-20 West at the Thornton Road exit.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have been going to Sweetwater State Park for over 30 years, and I still enjoy the peaceful and tranquil settings that the park provides. Every time I go to Sweetwater I am taken away from all problems and worries that wait for me when I leave the park. I have been coming for years to go on the red trail hike, which leads you down the Sweetwater creek toward the ruins of the Civil War textile mill which made cloth for the confederacy. The red trail is the easiest of the many trails in the park and gives you nice views of the creek and the water as it picks up speed heading toward the old Factory ruins. If hiking is not your bag, then there is fishing, picnic tables, bait shop, Park museum and Gift shop, paddle boats, fishing boats, feeding the geese, and other outdoor activities that would fill up your day. I Highly recommend the Guided Hike/Tour to the Factory ruins, where you will be able to go inside of the ruins for Great Picture opportunities! If you are looking for a getaway in the Atlanta area,I would suggest spending a day at Sweetwater State Park in Lithia Springs, to take you away from your problems, and just to unwind and enjoy nature!

1  Thank E_Bruce_Parks
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I visited this park recently and was amazed at the size of the creek and all the history of the area. The visitor's center contains several depictions of this area and the history connected with it. There is a super display of several animals that still roam in this park. There are several trails with varying lengths and difficulties to hike. The ruins of the New Manchester Manufacturing Company are preserved for the generations. I plan to return when the weather is more conducive to hike.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having visited Sweetwater Creek State Park in the summer of 2012 with my youngest son, it was a trip that I always knew I'd return to with my wife. It was just too beautiful for her to miss. For this trip, however, we decided to get a history lesson on the subject of some of the most beautiful pictures I've ever taken, the New Manchester Manufacturing Company ruins (Civil War). We called ahead and reserved a place for the guided hike that took place at approximately 11:00 am on Saturday morning. The hike itself tood about 2 hours, but I had the feeling that time flew by. Our guide was Mr. George Giddens of the Friends of Sweetwater State Park group. He, in fact, was a wellspring of knowledge! The history that he presented was fascinating; everything from his knowledge of the park before the state took possession, right down to the details of the events surrounding the capture and subsequent burning of the site by the Union Army. Not only did he pour this history out effortlessly, he even provided many pictures (from an album) in order to put a picture to a particular story that he would share. He was amazing!

The park itself is a special place with a lake, hiking trails, boat rentals, and an interpretive center. There are plenty of picnic sites and ample places for fishing. If we lived nearby, this would definitely be a weekend destination.

2  Thank Sonny D