“Decent place to stay”

Holiday Inn Express Atlanta West - Theme Park Area
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Lithia Springs
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Nice beds - good breakfast. Central location - even clean swimming pool - not bad for $104? The check in staff were very friendly and helpful. Lots of eat out places nearby too. This is a typical holiday inn express but as a place to stay with kids it's perfect

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Expattraveler100
Seema P, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta West - Theme Park Area, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Expattraveler100,
Thank you for your amazing review for us and our future guest to see, we are happy to read that you found our facility a good place for your family to stay. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of having you back out our location if you are ever in the area.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Atlanta West - Theme Park Area

Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed here with my children recently for a trip to Six Flags and a couple of Braves games. The hotel has went through a transformation from a Comfort Inn to a Holiday Inn Express. The hotel's appearance, both interior and exterior, looks new and fresh. The rooms have also been renovated and are nicely decorated. But in my opinion, there in lies another problem; the rooms are still the same size as those in a Comfort Inn (not the Suites) and are small compared to other properties I've stayed at. The bathroom and sink area is very small and cramped. The beds were comfortable and we had a mini-fridge and microwave under the TV stand. The closet is in an odd place next to the window behind a mirror. With only three in our room, it met our needs but may be a bit cramped for any more. On more positive notes, the hotel is a non smoking property that is located very close to I-20. It is about a 5 minute ride to Six Flags and is about a 15 minute ride to Turner Field. You can walk to McDonalds or Chik-Fil-A and there are several other restaurants in the immediate area. It has a nice pool area and decent fitness room. The complementary breakfast was typical for a Holiday Inn, but looked like a cattle call in the mornings. You will need to arrive early! There was not a place to sit when we came down so we just walked to Chik-Fil-A or McDonalds for breakfast. The Hotel staff were polite and helpful for the most part. The hotel advertises it sells Six Flags tickets for its guests at a discounted rate, however, we were advised that they were out of them. Overall, I think the hotel rates better than average but not yet at the next level.

2  Thank AttalaRay

Dear AttalaRay,
Thank you for taking time out of your precious day to right a detailed review for us and our future guest to see, we love all the honest feedback that we get from our guest it helps us improve in all aspects for the future guest. We are happy to hear that you were satisfied with the location of our facility and that it worked to your convenience, we are sorry to hear that you were not able to get our complimentary breakfast in the morning, and also our lack of six flags tickets for the date that you needed them. Hopefully these small inconveniences will not affect your choice of hotels if you are ever back in the area, we hope that you will give us another chance to meet your expectations for your next stay.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We planned for a two night stay here so we could go to Six Flags. I had read reviews that the hotel was newly decorated so that appealed to me. My husband, two kids and I arrived from Orlando at about 11pm. The front desk clerk was courteous and we were in our room quickly. When we opened the door to the room it was neat and tidy but I could immediately see it was going to be cramped. The bathroom door is on an angle so as not to take up too much living space because the rest of the room is small. The closet is not near the door but all the way inside at the farthest corner from the door. The beds have a waterproof liner underneath the sheets so it is a bit uncomfortable. As we were getting settled that evening, we all kept bumping into eachother. I think this room would be ok for three people but works best for two. With a family of four it is a tight squeeze.

The next morning at breakfast there was a sign on the pancake machine apologizing that is was out of order. There were scrambled eggs but absolutely no condiments for them like ketchup (who doesn't have ketchup for eggs?), salsa or shredded cheese. There were hard boiled eggs, but no salt packets to sprinkle on the eggs. We had been on the road travelling the country for 16 days and had a lot of hotel "free" breakfasts so this was disappointing.

We went out to the pool to look at it but could not get back into the hotel with the card key. When we told the clerk we were locked out she said the lock was broken, but no sign was posted on the door with this information.

Returning to our room, we discovered that our toilet stopped flushing. It had been flushing strangely since we arrived the night before. I called the front desk and the phone rang forever with no answer. I hung up and tried again 5 minutes later with the same result. Finally went down to the front desk asking for service for the toilet and the same clerk was there who had checked us in at 11pm the night before. She apologized when I told her that I kept calling with no luck, because our toilet stopped working. She said she would send someone up to fix the toilet. At this point I was quite frustrated with things being "broken" at the hotel and asked if we could check out with no penalty. She looked up our account and said "yes."

Went back upstairs and told the family to pack. The front desk called and asked if we would like to change rooms but we said "no thank you". Nobody ever came to fix the toilet while we were packing. I had to go to the first floor to use the restroom.

For $5 more a night, we moved to the Hyatt Place/Cobb Galleria where the rooms are much more spacious for a family of four.

Room Tip: Ok for a one night stay for a family of two or three. Cramped for a family of four.
1  Thank Duchess7720

Dear Dutches7720,
We would like to apologize for all of the inconveniences that you had with your stay at our facility, we are thankful that you took some precious time out of your day to write such an honest and detailed review of your stay with us. We look at all the feedback that our guest present to us to improve in the future for our guest. Since the time of your stay we have improved in some aspects and hopefully you will give us a second chance to meet your expectations if you are ever back in the area.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here after we visited Six Flags. It was located close to the interstate and right behind some restaurants including a Mc Donalds. We arrived at night and the area seemd safe enough. The reception is pretty impressive looking due the the recent renovation. The check-in was courteoud and speedy. There were luggage carts available in the front. The elevator looked a little trashed but that might be because we saw a large group of teenagers enter the hotel right before we did. (it still looked the same in the morning though). The room was on the small side, but had everything we needed, including very comfortable beds. The recent renovation was well done and we did have a closet behind a full-length mirror. The breakfast was a normal Holiday Inn Express buffet with cereal, cinnamon rolls, eggs with cheese, and muffins and bagels. The little fridge was broken so I had to ask for yogurt, which was then readily provided. Overall I would definitely stay here again.

1  Thank jajab04

Dear Jajab04,
We are happy to read that your stay with us was satisfactory, and are happy to see that you would consider us for your next stay if you are ever back in the area.

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Since I am the first to write a review on this website for this particular hotel, I will give a broad analysis of our stay in order to give everyone a good idea of what it was like. Let me start off by saying that my husband has been a Priority Club member for quite awhile and so we typically try to stay at Holiday Inns or others from the Intercontinental Hotels Group. However, when we were planning our trip to Atlanta, we were looking for ANY hotel with: (1) a VERY low price, (2) free breakfast, (3) free parking (we had a rental car), and (4) a good location (close to the interstate and/or other destinations). We searched through just about every chain and travel website from hotels.com to Wyndham and Best Western and others. As it turned out, we chose a Holiday Inn Express after all because it just happened to meet all of the criterion. Now I will let you know how it went...

We arrived to the hotel at about noon and since check in wasn't until 3pm, our room was not ready. We were sort of expecting that so we went to the nearby Shoney's restaurant for a quick lunch and decided that we would go to the Fernbank Museum of Natural History while we waited for our room. This hotel is extremely close to I-20 which can take a person just about anywhere in the Atlanta area, which was wonderful and a large part of why we chose this hotel. When we returned after our dinner at the Olive Tree restaurant behind the hotel, we checked in and went up to room #210. When we entered, we became aware that it was an adjoining room which is something that my husband and I truly do NOT enjoy. I am unsure what the room on the other side of the adjoining door looked like or how other non-adjoined rooms looked because we did not attempt to switch. Because of this, not all rooms may be the way which I am about to describe...

THE BAD:
1. There was NO closet. Anywhere! I am a person that likes to take my clothes out of my bag and hang them so they do not wrinkle, but I was unable to do so without a closet. There is a large dresser which I laid my clothes in but most had to remain folded because of this significant drawback. Now that I have doubled checked the hotel's website, it does mention that closets are only available in "some guest rooms" which leads me to believe that only non-adjoining rooms have closets.
2. Since there was no closet, there was no ironing board and iron. The hotel website lists these items as an amenity in EVERY room and that is not the case. Once again, this may be something that is only offered in non-adjoining rooms, but I may never know.
3. There was NO alarm clock! This is somewhat of a necessity for travelers, so you can imagine my surprise when I recognized that it was missing from the room. I found myself constantly asking my husband for the time while getting ready which became quite a nuisance. We used our cell phones for alarms in the morning, but were disappointed with its absence.
4. The bathroom fan was LOUD! I mean, I know what a bathroom fan sounds like. I have heard many in my lifetime, but this one was particularly obnoxious. When I was getting ready in the morning I couldn't hear the news on the tv that was directly outside of the bathroom!!
5. There were issues with the television channels. Comcast provides all the rooms with extended cable and one HBO channel, but they would frequently timeout and say "There has been an interruption in your service." This was annoying but usually went away after a minute. Other channels like the Food Network and the Travel Channel just didn't come in properly so you could not watch them at all. Thankfully, no problems with HBO.

THE GOOD:
1. The room was VERY clean, which is something we appreciated as frequent travelers who have had some "encounters" of our own in other establishments.
2. The price is very low compared to those inside the city but is very accessible because of its close proximity to the interstate.
3. The beds were very comfortable and we particularly enjoyed the padding on the headboard so that when you sat up in the bed, you could lay against a comfortable back rather than a hard piece of wood.
4. It had a BIG mini fridge! I know that is sort of a contradiction but it was one of the largest "mini" refrigerators that I have ever seen in a hotel room.
5. The room had a large full-length mirror. I always think this is something great to have in a hotel room.
6. It is close to lots of restaurants and stores. The Olive Tree is right on the other side of the hotel's parking lot and has some pretty good Greek and Italian cuisine. They also provide room service to hotel guests between certain hours in the evening (costs a little more than eating inside). Also on the other side of the parking lot is a Shoney's. Waffle House and McDonald's are also quite close. There is even a Wal*Mart a few blocks away for those things you may have forgotten or snacks for the hotel and drinks for the big mini fridge.
7. The continental breakfast! One of the best I've had for free at any hotel. There were bagels (plain and cinnamon raisin), muffins. juices, coffee, yogurt, milk, eggs, bacon, sausage links, and... PANCAKES! Yes... pancakes. There is machine where all you do is press a button and it automatically cooks you 2 perfect and delicious pancakes. We were very impressed with it.
8. This hotel has very recently been completely renovated because it used to be a Comfort Inn. All new furniture, paint, carpets... EVERYTHING! It is also now completely non-smoking.

We saw all the main attractions during our 3 night stay and I would recommend them all and say that getting the Atlanta CityPass (http://www.citypass.com/atlanta) is certainly the way to go, especially if you have kids (we don't but we had a blast!). This Holiday Inn is called "Theme Park Area," but we stayed here and didn't even go to Six Flags! Overall, I think we would stay here again if we stayed in a different room that was non-adjoining because that would solve problems 1, 2 and 3. I only recommend this hotel to those travelling with a car because there is no airport shuttle and public transportation would probably be impossible for you to achieve. You should also print out the directions to the hotel before you get there or have a GPS. It will be very hard to find without these since it is sort of behind a main road.

Room Tip: Avoid adjoining rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank dignug
bob2822, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Atlanta West - Theme Park Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write down and share your experience at the Holiday Inn Express Atlanta West - Theme Park Area.

I want to start off by apologizing for the problems you incurred during your stay. I wish you had notified these problems you had to the front desk agent. Some of the problems you encountered would have been corrected immediately. First, we do have closets, irons, and ironing boards in all of our rooms. The full length mirror you loved is also the closet door which houses the iron and ironing board. Also, we keep extra alarm clocks, hair dryers, irons, etc at the front desk for guests in case one breaks or is missing. We would've gladly brought up an alarm clock immediately.

I promise you, our maintenance staff will go through the room and fix the noisy bathroom fan and complete the preventive maintenance tasks. Also, we will contact Comcast to make them aware of the signal issues you encountered.

I have shared your valuable feedback with the appropriate team members, and I guarantee you that I will follow up to ensure that the problems you had do not become recurring problems at our hotel.

dignug, our guests are indeed our first concern and it is always our #1 goal to provide every guest with excellent service in every respect. We apologize for failing to serve you in this manner.

Once again, thank you for your comments. We certainly would appreciate the opportunity to restore your faith in our property and hope that you will continue to choose Holiday Inn Express for all of your lodging needs. I hope you will give us another opportunity.

Bob Patel

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lithia Springs
Hampton Inn & Suites ATL-Six Flags
Hilton Garden Inn Atlanta West/Lithia Springs
Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta/Six Flags Austell
Candlewood Suites Atlanta West I-20
Candlewood Suites Atlanta West I...
#4 of 10 in Lithia Springs
Springhill Suites Atlanta Six Flags
Baymont Inn & Suites Lithia Springs Atlanta

Been to Holiday Inn Express Atlanta West - Theme Park Area? Share your experiences!