-it really is in the middle of nowhere and very wild and beautiful
-staff were excellent -friendly, helpful etc. Check that Kevin and Bev are still running it before booking
-room was great and well equipped
-food was first class (NB chef is leaving in 6 months and cooking in this remote location where the food arrives once a week from Durban is not for your average chef!)
What's not good:
-getting there. It takes hours by car from anywhere but the worst bit is the last hour plus being bumped around in the back of an old pick up truck (200,000 km on the clock!) from the car drop off
-the sea is often quite rough (with a dangerous undertow and rip tide). We could neither swim or snorkel (or dive if we wanted to) and it had been like this for at least 8 days! And there is not much else to do! Rough seas are particularly common at equinoxes.
-contrary to the website there is no proper swimming pool only a plunge pool (the photo is misleading). So for us no swimming in either ocean or pool!
-unless you have a seaview room, you have no view! Literally you look straight into a dense forest a couple of metres from the balcony
So the key question is, given the possibility of rough seas and its remoteness (you need at least 3 nights there for it to be worthwhile), is it worth the risk? Do your homework before booking as this place could go downhill very easily.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This intimate, luxury lodge is nestled on the pristine coast of Northern KwaZulu-Natal, within the Isimangaliso World Heritage Park. Its clear, warm waters offer superb snorkeling and unspoiled off-shore scuba diving, arguably the best in South Africa. Air conditioned suites, mouth-watering cuisine, romantic candlelight dinners on the beach and relaxing Sea Spa treatments. Guided forest walks, kayaking, sundowners and seasonal turtle tracking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia and HotelQuickly so you can book your Thonga Beach Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thonga Beach Hotel Mabibi
- Thonga Beach Lodge KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa