Thonga Beach Lodge, where my wife and I ended our South African honeymoon, was a dream. If you want to get away from it all, to pristine beaches and unspoiled nature, this is the place. If you’re more interested in pristine linens and being spoiled by Michelin star meals, you might want to think again. It is luxurious, but in more of a rustic or “beach bum” sense. The staff couldn’t have been more friendly or accommodating, and we were impressed by the extra effort they gave to make our honeymoon special (e.g., a welcoming champagne bottle with flowers, beach-side dinner under the stars reached via a candle-lit pathway, another special dinner table just for us, etc.). We liked that the food had something of a healthy aspect, and considering how isolated the spot is, it’s especially impressive how tasty and varied the meals are. We had rough seas during our stay, but I still managed one dive, when I was impressed with the amount of undersea life in the area. Sunset on Lake Sibaya is also not to be missed and I’m not sure I’ll ever see as many stars at night as I did on the Mabibi beach. We liked the activities that were offered and enjoyed all the ones we participated in, but Thonga’s real draw is as a place to unwind, relax, and do nothing but enjoy the pristine setting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This intimate, luxury lodge is nestled on the pristine coast of Northern KwaZulu-Natal, within the Isimangaliso World Heritage Park. Its clear, warm waters offer superb snorkeling and unspoiled off-shore scuba diving, arguably the best in South Africa. Air conditioned suites, mouth-watering cuisine, romantic candlelight dinners on the beach and relaxing Sea Spa treatments. Guided forest walks, kayaking, sundowners and seasonal turtle tracking. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline and Hotel.de so you can book your Thonga Beach Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thonga Beach Hotel Mabibi
- Thonga Beach Lodge KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa