“Up close and personal”

37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Up close and personal”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We were staying at a private game reserve but decided to drive over to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park. We paid our entrance fee and bought a map book and were on our way in our rented car. Immediately we began seeing giraffes and zebras on the side of the road. We had to wait while a giraffe slowly walked down the road in front of our car. On another occasion we stopped because we thought we saw something move in the the trees. It was a herd of elephant coming across the road. The park recommends that you stay 50 meters away from the elephants. We had to back up quickly (while taking pictures, of course!). We saw a mother and baby rhino, buffaloes and crocodiles eating a buffalo that they pulled into the water. There were also baboons playing in the road in another part of the park. Sadly the lions proved illusive. We were told that since it was winter there, that the lions were probably lying in the brush somewhere. We'll have to return to see them. We stopped at Hilltop Lodge for a snack. It seemed like a lovely place and if I were to return, I think I'd just stay there and take a sunset tour. The park closed before sunset which was around 6pm when we were there.

1 Thank WintersR4beaches

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Keep your eyes open”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I have been here several times and each time have either seen many animals or very little! It is also weather depending!

This last time I went I saw 3 of the big 5! It made my heart very happy to see so many rhino!
I did not see lions this time round ( none of the cats)! We saw elephants and many cute warthogs and the usual buck etc! Just before we were leaving we had not seen giraffe and this is what you normally see early on in your journey..but luckily we got to see a few at the end!!

The only thing I can complain about is the roads! The tar roads in the reserve have many pot holes some which you can't even avoid!
It would be great if other people could respect the rules of the reserve and drive slowly!

Makes my heart very happy to come and visit the reserve which is close to home and see these animals in their natural environment!

1 Thank Ninakins9
Durban, South Africa
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Exiting Game Drive with 1st Zulu Safaris”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We went to Hluhluwe-Umfolozi Park with 1st Zulu Safaris. I must say I ejoyed the exiting drive in their Land Rover, it drove easily on any type of road especially on the gravel roads in the game park. I t was exiting seeing different types of game and Mr Sotiris made sure we got to see as many different types of animals as we could. I mostly enjoyed seeing the beautiful Rhino's. We also got to enjoy a picnic at the park and after that continued with our search of wild life. It was lovely watching the sun set in the backdrop as we drove on through the park. What a lovely experience, thank you 1st Zulu Safaris. It's a game drive definatly worth doing again.

London, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Great Safari”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This place is located north of Kwa-Zulu Natal. My partner and I travelled in Feb 2013 and it was low season. This park has the big 5, we managed to see all except for the cats, we where told that it was not alway possible. Anyway it's a wonderful amazing place, I suggest that you buy a safari tour to get the best out of the safari. They also have lots of other activities that one can do. The next time I am inSouth Africa I would most definitely spend a longer time here. It's a must experience, the closest you will ever get to wildlife.

Visited February 2013
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Umfolozi Explorer Trail”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I did the Primitive Trail in Umfolozi last year - the Primitive trail is 4 nights under the stars in the Umfolozi Wilderness area. I have just done the Explorer trail which is 4 nights in total but the first and last night are in a tented camp- with warm showers!!! ...although I must admit my evening baths in the Umfolozi River was a huge highlight for me. In winter the bush can be quite dry and there's nothing more liberating than going bare before the bush ...and whatever creatures may be lurking out there- there was always enough time to do this before the sun went down...because the wilderness experience is shorter on the Explorer trail we did more walking than on the primitive trail - but the awesome guides are able to gauge the group and their energy levels. And then you had 2 evening to ease in and out of the bush...fantastic coming back to camp where warm freshly baked bush bread was ready for us and a delicious braai to follow ...dont forget to bring a bottle of wine! All food and gear is inclusive.

Visited June 2013