Duke's Head Hotel Wallington
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
All reviewspork bellyincluded in the room pricebreakfast servicemissed breakfastgreat pubbooked last minutegood sizean updateclose to shopsfixtures and fittingsan iron and ironing boardstayed here for nightsafter midnighthuge bedgood nights sleepsticky toffeecomfortable bed
Reviewed November 16, 2011

We would like to thank all the staff at Dukes Head.Excellent in anyway the rooms the food the pub.We normally as we check out we start to talk about the bad things but at the Dukes Head we only have good things to talk about as we have had bad experiences in the past. Thank you once again for making our stay A MEMORABLE ONE .

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul F
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I have to Echo what what everyone else is saying about the Dukes Head .... great place to stay and very comfortable. I was born and raised in the UK so my expectations of a "pub/hotel" were pretty low to be honest ... so when i saw the room and the pub itself it really exceeded what i was expecting.

The location:
Easy to get to the train station (10 Minute walk up the road) so traveling around is not a problem. There is a convenience store across the road where you can buy wine and beer at a reasonable price ( a bottle of wine in the pub was £17-£23.. whereas in the Off Licence it was only £6.95 or so.. there is also a very tasty Kebab house just around the corner, that i highly recommend.

The food:

The food there was excellent, the breakfasts came with the price of the room ( for us anyway) and were very good .... we had one meal there and that was very good as well.. although I have to say Brits rarely get cooking a medium/rare steak correct as was the case here .. but it was close enough for me not to send it back.. my GF meal was perfect. (The best steak I have eaten by far was actually in Corfu a couple days earlier it was a T-bone cooked on a 400°C Hot Stone Grill.. i cooked it myself!!)

The room and amenities:

The room was good and the bed comfy had everything we needed, free WiFi was much appreciated, especially when the Holiday Inn wanted to charge £10 or so for 24 hours "continuous" use ...

The Pub:

Nice place and friendly people, thanks to the locals who helped me out .. there was a wake there the friday we arrived so it was a busy place and it was hard to get served initially but some nice people gave the nod and things started happening LOL ... thanks...

Summary:

All in all this was a great place to stay and talking to the manager he was saying that the brewery (Youngs) is going to do a major overhaul of the place next year ( and it does need it) ... .. sounds great but just remind them not to take away that quaint special "olde worlde" feeling about it as that the thing we loved the most about the place. Also your staff are really good ... I have to say a big thanks to the waiter in the morning, he was very helpful and made sure were we ok.

Thanks also for the couple bar mats and the Rammy toy.. that was much appreciated as I was leaving ...thanks again

Roy Bruce

Room Tip: All rooms are good in my opinion .. its going to be a little noisy .... it is a pub after all :)
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Everything about this place is good. The accommodation, the breakfast and the rooms. Great bar food and a little Frank Sinatra for the evenings entertainment. Fantastic value for money!! And nice friendly people too!!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2011

Stayed at the Dukes Head as it was the venue for a wedding reception we attended, we stayed for 2 nights and I'm so glad we decided to stay here. We paid £79 per night, which was probably a little more than I would usually spend but overall it was well worth the money we spent. It was very easy to find (using satnav) and has a carpark which can accommodate approx 25 cars. Parking is free, they take your car details when you check in. The pub itself has a lovely feel about it and is very comfortable, you do pay London prices for your drinks though. The weekend we stayed it was gloriously sunny and sitting outside overlooking the green was so relaxing. All the staff we met during our stay were lovely, very helpful and would go out of their way to help with anything. The rooms were incredibly clean, with modern facilities. Our room overlooked the carpark and was close to the beer garden but it was still very quiet. There is a good size wardrobe, drinks facilities, iron with ironing board and complimentary toiletries. Lovely, lovely rooms. Breakfast was included in the price and was wonderful. A good selection and everything was clean, fresh and delicious. The man serving our table was so helpful and offered even more tea, coffee and toast. Nothing was too much trouble.
There are lots of small shops and places to eat within walking distance and the train station to London Victoria was approx 10-15 mins walk away on the same road as the hotel so you won't get lost. Ticket into the city including zone 1-6 underground day ticket was £8. If you want a bigger town than Wallington, then Croydon is approx 3 miles away. I would definately recommend a stay here and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Claire_Lancs
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Wedding party group. Staff were super-friendly, went out there way to explain where anything was. The food quality was quite good for a pub. Very clean hotel. I'd happily stay there again should I ever return to the area. Good real-ales to be had there. I paid £75 for a family room with the group discount. Good value for Surrey.

• Stayed: October 2010