“Places like this call for one to amend their list of things to pack:”

Magnuson Hotel Lawrenceville
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Lawrenceville
Macon, Georgia
“Places like this call for one to amend their list of things to pack:”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Sealed, Non-Perishable Food? Check.
Distilled Water? Check.
Sanitizer? Check.
Sleeping Bag? Check.
Gun? Check.

You might as well throw in a sterno and tent and just stay in the woods somewhere nearby instead. It would probably be a better experience than paying for this hotel. I've stayed in some bad places, and honestly I'm sure there are worse than this out there, but wow - this thing takes the cake.

The manager starts off by nicknaming me "butterbean" about a minute into my time at the front desk. Wow, is he this friendly with all the guests? The hotel had the classic smell of mold mixed with old curry and garbage. Despite the "normal" amount of cars in the parking lot, it seemed like there were a ton of "guests" just hanging around outside, and by "guests" I mean what looked like an array of skinny crackheads both at the front and side entrances.

The side entrance itself was interesting to say the least. I don't think it even locked or had a card-keyed entry. Anyone could have easily just waltzed in during the night and started knocking on doors. The hotel is actually relatively close to the Gwinnett LEC / Sheriff's Office, within only about 2-3 miles, but don't think that this makes you any more safe. I was glad I had my gun with me.

The room was in an adorable state of disrepair. I immediately knew I wouldn't be sleeping in the bed when I turned it down to see it loaded with stained spots. I argued whether or not it was even safe to sleep ON the bed, but I had not brought my sleeping bag or a tarp to cover the sheets with.

So in the middle of the night: ding, dong - Pizza guy. Literally, a pizza delivered to my room that I didn't order. NOPE - Not opening that door no matter how hard he knocks. Shortly after this, someone decides it's a good idea to start bouncing a basketball on the wall next door. *Thump, thump, thump* for a few minutes. As I sit there awake and wonder whether or not it will stop, I decide that it's pointless to do nothing and jam my pistol in the back of my pants as I go to the front desk. It was probably better to go there and ask them to call instead of banging on the door of the person doing it, since I really did not want to have to meet whoever thinks it is a good idea to bounce a basketball on a wall in a hotel at 1am. At the minimum, the guy at the front desk was kind enough to make the call and the noise stopped.

In the morning I got the hell out as soon as I could. Probably one of the sketchiest places I have stayed, and thank God it was just one night. If you're going to come here, come ARMED. Better yet, save yourself the trouble and just camp out in the woods or something - it's probably a lot safer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Darius B
bwlville, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Lawrenceville, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Sorry you had a bad experience with this hotel. As of January 5th, 2014 the hotel went through extreme renovation and cleaning. The hotel has new Management and Ownership. Please give us a try again next time you are in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Statesboro, Georgia, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I'll admit that I checked into this hotel since it was the cheapest and closest hotel to most of my friends in the Lawrenceville area. However, I wish I had spent a few dollars more a night to save myself the trouble. Where shall I start? There was apparently a nest/colony of brown recluse spiders some where in my room, because I killed at least five of them before the manager finally allowed me to move into another room. He never once actually apologized about it and seemed ticked off that I even suggested moving into another room. He placed in one that didn't have a mini-fridge or a working microwave. A major pain since I didn't have a car and was staying there for the remainder of my 10 day trip. The rooms and hallways smelled of old cheese and Chinese food that was left out. The free continental breakfast wasn't there half the time and when it was, it was a poor excuse, even for a cheap hotel. The food was at least a day or two old! Finally, two days before my checkout date the manager stops me during my "breakfast" to tell me I need to be out by noon. He belittled me in front of other customers, and even called me "stupid" at my rebuttal stating that I had an additional two days paid for. He argued two more times that day, all the while he was threatening to kick me out. Finally, just before I was to be removed he found my paperwork showing that I had, indeed, paid through Wednesday! Never stay here!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Trin802
Walt Disney World, Florida
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Where do i begin. The door would not lock when leaving the roon, when going to the front desk for help staff was sleeping on the lobey sofa, large 2 foot pach on wall not painted, lamp shade craked burned and pieces missing, the exhaust fan in bathroom hanging at a 45 degre angle, window on the next unit to mine broken out, hair on floor of bathroom. Nedless to say I was moved to another room it was a little better. If my wife or daughters where with me I never would have spent the night. On the bright side no bugs.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank rob v
west richland
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Ok, I must start by saying that I am the kind of person that LOVES giving positive feedback in a negative world, so this negative experience had to have been an extra disappointment to warrant my valuable time on a site like this....

When arriving to the Magnusson, I waited in the lobby for almost 10minutes for someone to come help me (this is no exaggeration). I must mention the STENCH of the lobby was horrendous. It was somewhere between a non-ventilated bathroom and an old-man's breath who smoked most of his life... The only life I could see at the 'hotel' was a party of what looked like the 'owners' and their family outside.

Finally when someone came in to help me, I was disappointed to find that she didn't speak much English. We forged ahead however.

When getting my family and I checked in, I asked if there were any 'suites' that we could upgrade to and the lady appeared to offer a yes somewhere in the confusing communication we were having. So I took her up on the offer. It was only a few moments later that a man took her place to continue helping me. Within a minute of him 'helping' me, he asked why I lied? Now this man spoke perfectly good english. So there was no mis-communication in his question. I was completely caught off-guard. He point blank asked me directly, 'Why did you lie to her?'. I asked him what exactly he meant by that?? Apparently the first lady didn't make the connection that my family and I already had a reservation, so I suppose he somehow thought I was trying to take advantage of her, but I have no idea just how that could be... He asked me 2 more times why I lied and at that point I was livid. I let him have it and to make matters worse, he did this in front of another customer that was awaiting their turn for 'service'. After letting him know what I thought about his accusation, he told me to 'get out'.

I would have just walked out, but he amplified matters even more by kicking out a paying customer that just wanted to get his children and wife some rest during a family vacation. Not only would I not recommend this place, but it certainly is a scar in our minds now about the city of Lawrenceville as it is our sole experience there.

BEWARE!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank AFamGuy_11
Brij P, General Manager at Magnuson Hotel Lawrenceville, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
This guest was not paying for the room. ITEX barter was getting this room for free for this guy. This guy walked in the hotel trying to get a free upgrade. He told the lady he has a suite reserved. So basically let me get all the free things possible. Also there were no other guest in the lobby at that time. This guy somehow managed to have a conversation with another customer (that wasn't there) and found out that his family was on a vacation and just wanted them to rest. Sorry but I don't think anybody will kick out a paying guest. This is this guy's 2nd review. He wrote one earlier, this happened in May, I wrote back apologizing and offering him 25% off, but he wanted it FREE. So now he went back rewrote this review and added an extra customer story. I hope trip advisor notices how bogus this guy is. As a Manager it really bothers me when people try to hurt my hotel's image just cause they did not get FREE stuff.
Cartersville, Georgia
Reviewed June 2, 2012

we checked in at about 11:00 at night. I am pretty sure I woke the guy up that was working the front desk. If I had not been so tired, I would probably have immediately left! The beds were rock hard. The complimentary breakfast was a joke! Stale store bought pastries. This place truly left a bad taste in my mouth!!!!

Room Tip: the only good room would be at another hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank mlm68
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Man behind desk was rude, beyond rude, called my business a bunch of cr-p after complaining that the room had a funny smell and the tv did not work. Rooms were smelly like mold, tv did not work, wi fi did not work and the morning had a cockroach on the mirror in the bed room. Would never stay again. Would not take my AARP card for discount.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank mtyndall2
USA
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I made a reservation online for this hotel and, since I didn't receive confirmation, decided to call and check on my reservation. FIRST, there was NO ADVERTISED TELEPHONE NUMBER on their website. That should have been the first "red flag". SECOND, I called the hotel for FOUR HOURS on a Sunday afternoon (not off, evening hours); and yes, I said FOUR HOURS, before anyone answered the telephone. When I finally got an answer, the woman on the other end of the phone informed me she did not speak English and I need to call back!!! What respectable hotel does not have front desk service in the middle of a weekend day for hours at a time? Then, to be told to call back? AND NO ENGLISH???? I'm sorry, it's not worth the risk to me to make a long trip and hope there is a room at the other end! THE WORST RUN HOTEL I HAVE EVER BEEN EXPOSED TO....and I travel extensively. This was my first experience as Magnuson as a "brand" and my experience here has all but destroyed my opinion for other hotels in the "family". There are too many other hotels that have far better customer service, for a comparable price. LEAVE THIS ONE ALONE!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank Travel4LessUSA
Brij P, Manager at Magnuson Hotel Lawrenceville, responded to this review, April 4, 2012
Hello,

I apologize for the trouble. There was an emergency at the hotel, and we were not able to get any front desk staff to work. Therefore we had to have the housekeeper to look after the front desk. That day it was very windy and the phone lines were out. As you can see with other reviews the hotel and the rooms are in good condition and guests have enjoyed their stay here. Please understand what kind of impact this one review can have on our business.