“Cozy & Quaint”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakemont
Atlanta, Georgia
“Cozy & Quaint”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Lake Rabun hotel is a real gem if you're looking for an affordable bed and breakfast experience in north Georgia. The staff is very attentive and the property is beautiful! It's driving distance from Tallulah Gorge where we hiked the next day.

Be aware that the rooms are very small! We were in the Moonshine Room. There's no TV in the rooms and the bathrooms are kind of cramped. This is not a boutique hotel experience. It's truly an inn or lodge. So don't expect a garden tub and spa inspired bathroom. You can hear everything in the hallway outside the rooms which leads me to believe that people in the hallway can hear everything inside the rooms.

We ate dinner at the hotel and were impressed with the seasonal and local menu. We enjoyed the salmon and the shrimp and grits for dinner. It was very good, but the chef was a little heavy handed with the salt. Breakfast was much better! We loved the hearty breakfast that consisted of eggs, grits, bacon, fruit and toast. If you do choose to eat at the restaurant, try to get a table on the porch. It's a great atmosphere.

We live in Atlanta and love to get out of the city and stay in boutique hotels and inns. We're glad we were able to enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
We very much appreciate all of our guest who let us know all about their experiences (both positive and negative). The Lake Rabun Hotel is certainly a throwback to a time before TV's, cellphones, and the hustle and bustle of everyday life. There are some aspects of the hotel that cannot be helped in trying to keep with the traditional style of the building (i.e. bathroom sizes). We loved having you as our guests and look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 29, 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to plan a day trip to hike Tallulah Gorge. We spent most of the morning and early afternoon exploring the park and then had a late lunch. We ended up having a longer lunch than planned (we were chatting away with the owner of Overlook BBQ - highly recommended!) and contemplated staying the night. I live in Atlanta, so we decided we would only stay if we found a nice place for a good price. We pulled into a gas station and started our search - Lake Rabun Hotel was my first find - it looked quaint, clean, and even better, we would get a discount for booking within 24 hours of our stay! Although I wouldn't risk this, I heard the hotel usually fills up quickly, we just happened to be there on a random rainy Thursday.

We made the approximately 15 mile drive from Tallulah Falls to the hotel and were excited to check the place out. The houses surrounding the hotel were amazing, so we had a good feeling about the hotel and it surely didn't disappoint. We checked in, got a tour and went to the room. The room was small in size, but that didn't bother us as we were only there for the night. They also explained to us that the rooms used to be larger, but they had communal bathrooms. I'd take a private bath with a smaller room any day!

Next, we went to the front desk to try to book a ride on the starlight pontoon boat cruise but unfortunately, it was already full. We took a seat at the bar and ended up staying for hours talking to the nicest bartender, Clare. We didn't have dinner at the hotel restaurant because we were craving something a little less "fancy", but we heard nothing but great things about the food. People came to the hotel just for the restaurant - one woman that lived nearby even called in a to-go order.

We were pleasantly surprised with Lake Rabun Hotel and would certainly return. We were the youngest guests there, but still very much enjoyed it. I don't know if I would suggest the hotel for families with young children, however.

Room Tip: We stayed in "Tallulah" - a room without a lake view. We weren't in the room very ofte...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hillary B
We are so glad that you were able to come and join us for a spur of the moment getaway! Between the food, hiking, wineries, and various other activities, the mountains will certainly keep you busy. The Lake Rabun Hotel is the perfect spot to come and relax after you have been adventuring all day. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review. You definitely need to come back to try a meal with us!
Talmo, Georgia
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Actually, the title of this review should have been "The Best Getaway in North Georgia, Any Day of the Week!" I love the Lake Rabun Hotel. I spent two nights here in March 2014 (the Andreae Room, with a cozy fireplace I very much enjoyed using), and two nights in April 2014 (first night in the Andreae Room, second in the Lakemont Room, which has no fireplace, but a larger bathroom with larger windows). Although the handful of rooms in the LRH are not large, they are more than adequate for most of us, although there are no closets and limited space for hanging up lots of clothes. Each room has exposed wood walls ceilings, each one individually and tastefully decorated. Very comfortable queen beds, too. I was made to feel "like family" as soon as I announced myself at the Reception Desk on the occasion of my first visit, and a month later, on my second visit, I knew that I was indeed part of the Lake Rabun Hotel family. By my observation, the "royal treatment" is extended to everyone. The ambiance of the place is sort of ""upscale rustic," a warm and inviting atmosphere, with lots of wood, lovely colorfully patterned rugs on the wonderfully creaky hardwood floors, Adirondack furniture, stone walkways outside and surrounding the hotel; outside, there's also flowing water, a Koi fishpond and lots of lovingly tended flowers all around, with the main historic building nestled in a stand of hardwood and pine trees, just a stone's throw from the extraordinarily beautiful Lake Rabun, and just a short and easy walk to historic Hall's Boat House and Marina. (And, as a dining option, Louie's Italian Restaurant, popular in the summer months, is located just across the street from the hotel.) Now, keep in mind that the rooms don't have televisions or telephones, but count this as a big plus! The hotel does have complimentary WiFi, so you can easily connect to the "real world" using your iPad, smartphone or similar. (I would note that there is a large widescreen television in one of the main floor public rooms, just off the lobby, where you'll also be welcomed to play the upright piano which is located here. Actually, you'll discover another piano, this one a baby grand, situated just forward of the hotel's main entry door, quite near the large lobby fireplace.) There are several "packages" which are available to you, depending on how you would like to spend your vacation, and it's also possible to book a massage right in the hotel, or take out a boat on Lake Rabun. Many local sightseeing and activity options from which to choose. You'll find the staff at the Reception Desk and around the hotel both knowledgeable, outgoing, friendly and helpful when seeking information about what to "see and do" in this part of North Georgia. Two wonderful cats (Chloe and Meow, the latter quite aptly named!) pretty much have the run of the place, and are quite sure, in their "cat minds," that they own the hotel, graciously allowing you to stay with them for a few nights. You'll love them, I'm sure. I don't think you'll find a better restaurant in this part of the State; in fact, you would probably have to head to Atlanta or Athens to find the equal or better. The three dinners I had at the LRH Restaurant were exceptional, with great, friendly, unpretentious professional service, with the food locally sourced. Depending on the weather, you may certainly dine outdoors, on the (heated if necessary) outer deck. Next to the restaurant (which is itself located just beyond the entry lobby and the Reception Desk) is the hotel's small, but more than adequate, full-service bar. A great place for an afternoon beer or cocktail. The bartender maintains a well-stocked bar and can make, I am sure, any beverage or specialty drink you would like. Great wine list, too! I should also point out that both the restaurant and bar are frequented by many of the local "lake people" who have had permanent or summer homes on Lake Rabun for many years, as well as others living in nearby Clayton and other surrounding towns. These locals love this place and have been dining and drinking here for years. You will also enjoy the "for sale" framed paintings, photographs and other artwork which adorn the walls of the main floor, all by local artists, and often portraying / depicting scenes of the hotel, the lake, Hall's Boat House, and even the hotel's two cats! A hearty breakfast is included for each morning of your stay. Please BRING YOUR CAMERA to photograph the beautiful breakfast which is served to you, as it is enormous. If I've stayed in my travels in 8-10 other bed and breakfast establishments, I can say without hesitation that the LRH breakfast is the biggest and the best of them all. I enjoyed a total of 4 breakfasts here, and not once was I able to eat everything on my plate. You'll also appreciate that Lake Burton, Lakemont, Dillard, the Foxfire Museum and Heritage Center, and Tallulah Falls / Tallulah Gorge are only short drives away. Well, this is my take on the Lake Rabun Hotel. Short of actually living on the lake, I'm quite sure this is the next best thing, keeping in mind that the hotel has been a permanent fixture of Lake Rabun for almost 100 years, lovingly owned and maintained, with a recent renovation in 2008, I believe it was. (I am certain that the staff I met are very proud to tell their family, friends and acquaintances that they are working for the Lake Rabun Hotel.) Finally, if you are looking for a super-friendly, relaxing comfortable getaway from the pressures of the real world for a couple of day, or even a week or longer, I don't think you can do any better than the Lake Rabun Hotel in this part of North Georgia. I am already planning my next trip, and will hope to see you there, too! --- Scott Kinney, Jackson County, Georgia

Room Tip: I think all the rooms here are quaint and charming, but in the main hotel building, only the Andreae...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
5 Thank MainStreetScott
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
I cannot begin to tell you how much we appreciate your kind words. You are indeed a member of the Lake Rabun Hotel family! It is so wonderful that you were able to partake and enjoy every aspect of what the Northeast Georgia mountains have to offer. Guests such as yourself is why we do what we do and why we continue to go above and beyond for everyone that walks through our doors. We sincerely look forward to seeing you soon.
anderson sc
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed at the LRH for two week-days in May. We had been regular visitors back in the "real rustic" days back in the late 70's and were curious about the renovation after the hotel fell on hard times.

The new owners did a superb job of fixing the sinking foundations and sagging roofs without compromising the look and feel of the original lodge/retreat atmosphere. The addition of bath rooms for each room and the air conditioning was a very welcome improvement!

Yes, the room are small. Yes, you can hear sounds from other guests. Yes, the internet is spotty. But this is a rustic old time mountain lodge that has been brought up to speed in a caring and gentle way. I loved the people proportioned rooms and the fact that folks had to put away their cell phones and actually engage in conversation with each other ( -what a novel idea! =))

Now for the bonus round. The golden glow of the old wood and rugs and hand carved pillars juxtaposed with a shiny black concert grand piano with a perfect wild flower bouquet perched on top is a feast for the eyes. The sweet kitty giving lessons on how to relax on one of the inviting decks was a feast for the soul. The delicious and creative food served in the restaurant was a feast for the taste buds.

We took advantage of the many day hikes in the area and took out a canoe for a peaceful paddle. We loved the shops and the "grill" at the restored Alley Grocery - I have always been won over by oil cloth table cloths with heirloom flower prints.

Well, we just had a delightful time and will certainly return. If you are one to complain because your lodging does not compare to a Hampton Inn, then do your homework before booking a room. LRH is a cute,quaint retreat with more than enough eye candy to offset any of the adventures of inconvenience associated with the context that the owners have managed to keep from the "old days"

Room Tip: The Garden Room is a little larger.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful and well articulated review. The staff and owners of the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant take great pride in the measures that were taken to update the hotel with modern amenities, and yet keeping with the historical integrity of such a special and unique building. It is wonderful that you were able to experience and enjoy all that the hotel has to offer. We sincerely appreciate guests such as yourselves and are excited for your return
Reviewed May 5, 2014

If you find the amenities in the old, well kept lodges of our national parks (like Yellowstone's Old Faithful Inn or Crater Lake Lodge) to your liking, then you will love the recently restored Lake Rabun Hotel. A charming jewel in northeast Georgia built in 1922, it boasts both a friendly, attentive staff, and a 5 star restaurant! The chef starts with locally sourced meats, vegetables, and fruits to create memorable dishes in taste and presentation. From the Low Country Shrimp and Grits to Shepherd's Pie, the chef's skills truly delight!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your patronage at the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant and thanks as well for taking the time to write your review. With the Adirondack style of the hotel, we love to see all of our guests embrace and enjoy the hard work that went into restoring such a special building. We also take great pride in sourcing locally 90% of everything that comes out of our kitchen. Cannot wait to have you back!
Summerville, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I did my research on this hotel prior to booking. So I knew what to expect and what NOT to expect, therefore there were no failed expectations! My husband and I booked the Garden Room. It was rustic and charming! We had a small view of the lake and it felt more private then the "shared patio". I was nervous about booking an Inn. I'm used to traveling a lot for business and was looking for something completely different for pleasure. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon and enjoyed champagne at the koi pond along with the two cats that hung around us. The restaurant was closed, but Jenna the Inn Keeper emailed me prior to the visit of other great restaurants in the area so we were prepared. Had a great dinner at the Universal Joint, which is a converted old gas station with tons of retro charm. When we came back we learned we would be the only guests to late that night! The employee showed us how to turn on the fire place downstairs and left! What fun! We had the beautiful place to ourselves for a while! The next morning we enjoyed and wonderful breakfast and walk around the lake.

To the negative reviews posted, I say this: Do your homework. It's rustic and charming with lots of great touches. It is not a major hotel/chain. If you have an open mind to great experiences this is it!!!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
It was so wonderful to have the two of you as our guests! It is always lucky when you have the whole place to yourselves; there is almost a magical feel in the air when you are away from the hustle and bustle of city life and can just relax and enjoy your surrounding. You were an absolute pleasure to have as guests, and as always, look forward to serving you in the future.
North Carolina
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We loved our two nights at Lake Rabun hotel! The hotel was so cute and charming. I loved the wood furniture through out the property and the quiet nooks available to cuddle with my husband. Breakfast was included with our package. There wasn't a breakfast menu to make a selection; we were served what ever the chef decided to make that morning, which was ok because the food was delicious. We had reservations for dinner and were seated right away, and of course the food and drinks were awesome (and yes, there was a menu to choose from for dinner). Despite the walls being so thin, we were still able to have a good night's rest thanks to the white-noise machine included in the bedroom. The hotel is very clean and smells lovely. I would definitely return to Lake Rabun for another romantic getaway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Yay! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such nice comments about the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant. The award-wining restaurant is surely one of the highlights of everyone's stay here, so we are so glad that you enjoyed it. And yes, the walls are thin so we appreciate you using the amenities that we offer in so that you can have a great night sleep without any disturbances (thanks for being such a good sport!). We look forward to seeing you both again very soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakemont
Country Hearth Inn Toccoa
Glen-Ella Springs Inn
#1 of 5 in Clarkesville
Mitchell's Lodge & Cottages
Kingwood Country Club & Resort

Been to Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!