“Wonderful Rustic Lake Lodge!”

Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Lakemont
“Wonderful Rustic Lake Lodge!”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

If you find the amenities in the old, well kept lodges of our national parks (like Yellowstone's Old Faithful Inn or Crater Lake Lodge) to your liking, then you will love the recently restored Lake Rabun Hotel. A charming jewel in northeast Georgia built in 1922, it boasts both a friendly, attentive staff, and a 5 star restaurant! The chef starts with locally sourced meats, vegetables, and fruits to create memorable dishes in taste and presentation. From the Low Country Shrimp and Grits to Shepherd's Pie, the chef's skills truly delight!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your patronage at the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant and thanks as well for taking the time to write your review. With the Adirondack style of the hotel, we love to see all of our guests embrace and enjoy the hard work that went into restoring such a special building. We also take great pride in sourcing locally 90% of everything that comes out of our kitchen. Cannot wait to have you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Summerville, United States
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I did my research on this hotel prior to booking. So I knew what to expect and what NOT to expect, therefore there were no failed expectations! My husband and I booked the Garden Room. It was rustic and charming! We had a small view of the lake and it felt more private then the "shared patio". I was nervous about booking an Inn. I'm used to traveling a lot for business and was looking for something completely different for pleasure. We arrived on a Tuesday afternoon and enjoyed champagne at the koi pond along with the two cats that hung around us. The restaurant was closed, but Jenna the Inn Keeper emailed me prior to the visit of other great restaurants in the area so we were prepared. Had a great dinner at the Universal Joint, which is a converted old gas station with tons of retro charm. When we came back we learned we would be the only guests to late that night! The employee showed us how to turn on the fire place downstairs and left! What fun! We had the beautiful place to ourselves for a while! The next morning we enjoyed and wonderful breakfast and walk around the lake.

To the negative reviews posted, I say this: Do your homework. It's rustic and charming with lots of great touches. It is not a major hotel/chain. If you have an open mind to great experiences this is it!!!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
It was so wonderful to have the two of you as our guests! It is always lucky when you have the whole place to yourselves; there is almost a magical feel in the air when you are away from the hustle and bustle of city life and can just relax and enjoy your surrounding. You were an absolute pleasure to have as guests, and as always, look forward to serving you in the future.
North Carolina
Reviewed April 14, 2014

We loved our two nights at Lake Rabun hotel! The hotel was so cute and charming. I loved the wood furniture through out the property and the quiet nooks available to cuddle with my husband. Breakfast was included with our package. There wasn't a breakfast menu to make a selection; we were served what ever the chef decided to make that morning, which was ok because the food was delicious. We had reservations for dinner and were seated right away, and of course the food and drinks were awesome (and yes, there was a menu to choose from for dinner). Despite the walls being so thin, we were still able to have a good night's rest thanks to the white-noise machine included in the bedroom. The hotel is very clean and smells lovely. I would definitely return to Lake Rabun for another romantic getaway.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 16, 2014
Yay! Thank you so much for taking the time to post such nice comments about the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant. The award-wining restaurant is surely one of the highlights of everyone's stay here, so we are so glad that you enjoyed it. And yes, the walls are thin so we appreciate you using the amenities that we offer in so that you can have a great night sleep without any disturbances (thanks for being such a good sport!). We look forward to seeing you both again very soon.
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Lake Rabun is a charming inn, converted from an old hunting lodge. The breakfast is terrific.

We stayed one night and immediately left the next morning after breakfast, losing hundreds of dollars on a nonrefundable reservation. I've never done something like this before. It took us 5 hours to get there from North Carolina. However, the bed was so substandard that it was impossible to get a decent night's sleep.

Let me explain. First, the bed was small, hard, and caved in in the middle. It creaked every time you moved, which meant anything other than sleeping would create a racket. The quilt was some type of polyester fiberfill, and I suspect the sheets and other bedding were probably synthetic materials. My husband and I woke up repeatedly--hot now, cold now, hot now, cold now. We tried opening a window, thinking if we got the room cold enough it would be okay. It was not. I tried to sleep on the edge of the bed so I wouldn't disturb him when I woke up, but the feeling was like trying to sleep on a cliff. I could hear another guest snoring. Which explains the reason there was a sound machine in the room.

The rooms are so tiny that there is no room for a chair, bedside table, or cabinet to hang clothes. If you look closely at the photo, you'll see what looks like a branch affixed to the wall above the bed. That's where you hang your clothes. The inn has public rooms, so there are charming spaces to hang out with other guests. But if you like a little privacy, you will not get it in your room. And note: we were told, "Oh, you have our best room!"

The bathroom door--which looked original to the house--was mis-hung so that there was a large gap at the top. The door stuck to the floor. Going to the bathroom during the night meant shoving the door closed and creating a loud screech. Later my husband said he figured out that if he lifted it by the doorknob, it didn't scrape across the floor. But he's got biceps like Pop-eye.

Also note that the Lake Rabun Hotel is neither on Lake Rabun nor does it have access to the lake. It never occurred to me to ask if the hotel was on the water! You can get a peek of the lake from the upstairs porch, but that's it. If I'm going to a lake, I'd like to enjoy the water--at least see it!

And speaking of the upstairs porch, be advised that if you have allergies to cats, which I don't, you will not be able to use the porch. The owner keeps the cat's water and food on the porch, which is very small. A white fluffy cat sleeps in the largest rocker, so be sure to brush and pick off all the hair before you sit down, in the event that you are wearing black. The cat is one of 2 that I saw. One of my daughters is highly allergic to cats, and she would never be able to so much as set foot on the porch.

I noticed that the other porch, which could be for the Garden Room (?), actually looks out over the parking lot. I felt sorry for the couple I saw seated there when the gas company pulled up. Nothing romantic about being 20 feet from people getting in & out of their cars.

I have traveled widely and am fairly easy going about accommodations. I am not a princess. But I would never recommend this hotel until these basic issues are addressed.

Room Tip: I did not see the interior of "The Innkeeper's Cottage," but if the beds are different...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Writersrock
First, I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of the staff and management at the Lake Rabun Hotel. We are very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. Every issue that was mentioned is being investigated. That being said, I would like to go point by point to address the issues in which you brought up in your review.
The number one aspect about the hotel is our unyielding willingness to make our guests happy. When someone is unhappy, we do whatever is in our power to change that. When a guests leaves without any reason and has not alerted the staff to an early departure, however, there leaves no way in which to make up for any discrepancies in service.
Second, we make it very clear to any guest who contacts us about our rooms, location on the lake, differences in pricing and why, the fact that because the hotel was updated and renovated the size of the rooms were sacrificed in order for every guest room to now have its own bathroom (before the hotel was renovated there were two COMMUNAL bathrooms for guests to use).
Because this is a historic building, there are many aspects of the hotel that cannot be helped (i.e. thinness of the walls and antique door frames). The integrity of such a wonderful building was maintained and therefore certain things about the hotel are certainly not for everyone.
As for our location, we make no secret that we are across the street from Lake Rabun. Because families have been building memories on Lake Rabun since 1915, most of the lakefront property is private and has been this way for almost 100 years. We do, however, offer all of our guests the opportunity to rent pontoon boats, ski boats, canoes, kayaks, etcetera. Just because the lake is the across the street, doesn't mean that it is not seen an enjoyed by all of our guests.
The cats are a part of the Lake Rabun Hotel family and have been here for many years. We understand that some guests are allergic to cats, so we provide several other sitting areas and decks both inside and outside the hotel for you to use.
Again, we apologize profusely that you did not enjoy your brief time here at the hotel, and hope that if such issues every arise and that you do come back and stay (which we sincerely hope that you do), please inform the staff of these issues IMMEDIATELY so that they may be addressed. Thank you again for your comments. We take guest feedback very seriously and work tirelessly to improve service for everyone.
Tennessee
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We absolutely loved our time at the Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant. We stayed in the Andrea room - it's on the lakeside of the hotel & has a fireplace, which we ran several times throughout the weekend as it was cold and rainy on Saturday. We arrived late on Friday (about 9pm) and we were still greeted by a friendly staff who still gave us a tour around the restaurant and hotel despite the late hour and that they were nearing time to go home. The room isn't huge as others have stated but it doesn't need to be...very comfortable. There are noises from doors, floors and furniture but it adds to the charm. Our room was on the first second floor above the lobby/restaurant so there was a bit of noise Saturday night when someone decided to sing "Lean On Me" and play the piano...but the noise was short lived and didn't disturb us too much. The cat who makes her home the porch near the Andrea rooms was very friendly - I'm not a cat person but I enjoyed seeing her there sleeping and she always perked up when you went out onto the porch. The included breakfast was delicious and varied each morning. We booked a romance package that came with a credit for the restaurant so we had dinner on Saturday night - delicious! The credit was enough to cover two entrees (crab cakes and shrimp & grits - yummy!), dessert (strawberry shortcake!) and soda/beer. Our waitress was fantastic and let us know that we were short of using our entire credit so we could order another drink or something to use our full credit. We loved it and will definitely be going back again!

Room Tip: Andrea room is great!!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
It is absolutely wonderful that you were able to take advantage to some of the amenities that the hotel has to offer, from the on-site award-winning dining room to the hotel cat, Chloe. Thank you so much for your kind words, and we hope to see you very soon.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We arrived on Saturday afternoon and were immediately impressed with the gorgeous location and view of the lake just across the street. The hotel was charming, especially the two resident cats (don't worry, they aren't allowed indoors) and the staff were very attentive and inviting. I created a bit of a snafoo by locking us out of our room almost immediately, but management worked quickly to get us into a different room immediately, and then continued to work on the locked door, which was resolved right away and we were able to get back into the room we originally reserved. We headed into downtown Clayton (~15-20 minute drive north of the hotel) for dinner and had a great time at Universal Joint. We woke up Sunday morning and headed down for the included breakfast, which was FANTASTIC. We didn't want to leave, but are excited to return soon. After check out we spent the rest of the day hiking around the Tallulah Falls State Park (~15 minutes south of the hotel on 144) and I would HIGHLY recommend it.

Long story short, great, charming hotel, very friendly staff, excellent food, CAN'T WAIT TO GO BACK!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Minehaha room. The view is of the parking lot, but we were there for such a short t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
We cannot wait to have the two of you back as well! Even with the "snaffoo" of getting locked out of your room, it just adds to the charm that is the Lake Rabun Hotel. There are literally dozens of adventures to have throughout Rabun County, so we are just happy to you were able to partake in a few of them. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.
Anderson, South Carolina
Reviewed February 22, 2014

My wife and I decided to stay here for valentines. We got the Andrea room, very nice with gas fireplace. The food was awesome and the staff was great. This is an old inn that is setup for a romantic time. We will stay again.

Room Tip: Andreas room is the best
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jenna T, Guest Relations Manager at Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
The Lake Rabun Hotel never misses an opportunity to impress our guests, both with our local cuisine and with our award-winning service. Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We cherish each and every one that comes through our doorway.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakemont
Quality Inn & Suites Mt. Chalet
#1 of 7 in Clayton
Rabun Manor
Rabun Manor
#1 of 2 in Dillard

Been to Lake Rabun Hotel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!