“Lovely guest house close to national park office”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gisakura
Gisakura Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Gisakura B&B and Inns
England
“Lovely guest house close to national park office”
Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely stay at this guest house. The rooms were basic but comfortable, we shared two at bathrooms between three rooms something I don't usually like but it wasn't a problem. Sam on the reception desk was really helpful. Lunch was good and the e ending meal was fine although no choice.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at Gisakura guest house for two nights during our visit to Nyungwe National park last weekend. The lodge is well located, right next to the booking office and if you plan on doing the waterfall trail (beautiful highly recommended) you can start the trek directly from the lodge.

We had a triple room, it was clean, ample space, the beds were comfortable and had big mosquito nets with no holes. The bathrooms are shared, but they were always well stocked with toilet paper and soap, kept spotlessly clean and the showers was amazing. Note: you have to make sure they have the hot water heater plugged IN, otherwise you will have a terrible shower like I did the first day (its located on the wall between the two bathrooms).

As for the meals, the manager had some trouble understanding my gluten and lactose allergy, but he really tried his best to make sure I had something to eat. For lunch and dinner they put out delicious buffets, ample servings of rice, potatoes, vegetables and always some form of protein. Their beer was well priced, and their "jinja" tea was my favourite! As other reviewers had commented, the only let down was the breakfast. Two thin pieces of white bread, an omelette and a slice of pineapple is not enough if you are going trekking all day. I was able to get him to cook me porridge (made with water, not milk) and some boiled eggs and fruit, which costs a bit extra but totally worth it to keep me full. Overall the guest house is very nice, the staff were extremely friendly, they had a bonfire on for us at night, and we felt it was good value for our money paid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kampala
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at Gisakura guest house for one night.I sent in an email requesting for accommodation and received a reply after 3-days from samuel.Though i travelled alone,i stayed in a twin room with 2-beds overlooking the tall Eucalyptus trees.

The room was clean,with all bed covers and blankets tidy.the great advantage with the guest was that it is just 1-meter by the road where the buses pass and stop for any budget traveller using public transport from or to Kigali city.

The food was fantastic with all courses, and had a great coffee as it was too cold after the evening rain.The disadvantage for the night was having no power to charge my phone and Netbook Computer.

The lodge seemed to have no power or standby generator,so my advise to any one planning to travel there,is to be prepared for a darkness without power.a kerosene lamp was provided to me and i was promised that the electricity would get back shortly.

I had to leave my lights on just in case power returned which actually worked and got a chance to charge my phone and computer.

The breakfast was not good as i took a spanish omelet and toasted bread which were not so good as the bread was so solid for the money i paid.

All in all,the place was good and quiete for any traveller and would recommend any one to stay there but would ask the lodge to improve the breakfast.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the trees down in the valley are good as there is less noise from the moving cars...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Robert M
Amsterdam
Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed in many budget accomodations in Rwanda and the Gisakura Guest House was the most disappointing.

Although there was hot water and the rooms are simple but sufficient, the whole experience here feels like a rip-off. The reason is that they charge extra fees for everything. The breakfast consists of an omelet with bread only, which is just not enough for us (and probably most other travelers who are preparing for a day in Nyungwe Forest). For additional eggs with toast you have to pay. Also, you have to pay bills for every night and every meal directly and separately.

The people that work at the guest ouse aere friendly and willing to help, but it seems they are just following instructions from the owner. Also I have to say that the guides working at the ajacent Rwanda Tourism Board are very kind and knowledgeable. They did everything to make our Waterfall Trail experience perfect.

Unfortunately there are not many better alternatives for those who want to stay in the near area. We actually found three in Gisakura:
1. Mama Kuku. Sleeping with a local family in the village, hosting up to 3 people. Ask any local how to get there RWF 10,000 for double room.
2. Vedaste. Small and simple guest house in Gisakuru town near the road. RWF 15,000.
3. Top View Hotel. Just opened luxury hotel/lodges on top of the hill with a stunning view from the restaurant, and a client base that is still small. Prices for rooms might be a little higher, but even if you don't stay, try eating here. A 3-course dinner of $15 is a welcome change after days of not so refined Rwandese food.

• Stayed October 2012
Cheshunt, Hertfordshire
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We stayed at the Gisakura Guest House for 3 nights as part of our tour of our Rwanda tour. To be honest our tour company gave us only 2 options; this guest house or the Nyungwe Forest Lodge which was way out of our price range, never-the-less we had a lot of fun while staying here.
We had our own double room which had definately recently been freshly painted (very freshly, the smell was a clue). There were 3 double rooms in total in this section sharing 2 bathrooms. It is a pain to have to share bathrooms but they were kept clean so it could have been worse.
On the first day the hot water was not turned on but once we spoke to the manager it was switched on and we had an unlimited supply of hot water from then on.
The manager Sam is brilliant, he cannot do enough to help and is always friendly and chatty, curious to learn about you and also tell you about his life and experiences. He is only 21 and studying as well as working, an impressive individual.
The food at Gisakura is fine. It is basic and often the meat and fish was over-cooked for my taste but better than it being under-cooked!! The salads and soups were always very nice. As was breakfast. Little tip - ask for your bread to be toasted and ask for ketchup they do have it hidden in the kitchen.
I also recommend tipping as you go for better service. We didnt do this at first but noticed a world of difference once we did.
From this lodge we did a trek into the forest to find Chimps, the canopy walk and went to see the colobus monkeys.
The chimp trek was amazing, though events conspired for us to arrive late and miss them waking up so it took around 3 to 4 hours to find them on very tough terrain. Slipping down steep slopes, climbing back up, jumping over safari ants that seem to find your ankles no matter how careful you are but once we got to the chimps it was worth everything. We saw 12 in total and around 5 on the ground coming to meet the others in the trees. The trackers were amazing and quick to take my backpack from me when they saw i was struggling.
The canopy walk is interesting as it is SO HIGH, not for anyone with vertigo. Also we did not see any wildlife so it depends on your interests.
The colobus monkeys are a short and easy walk at the Gisakura Tea Estate. There are more than 180 and almost 100% guranteed sighting (unless it rains) so they are well worth a trip and great easy photo opportunities.
If I am honest if I returned I would probably upgrade to a hotel with a few more creature comforts but thats just me...... If you are on a tight budget and would like to meet local friendly people and stay in a fantastic location then look no further!!
Little tip: take a walk through the village just down the road to the Hill Top Hotel for a taste of local life then a cold beer with fabulous views.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JojoCC
Kigali, Rwanda
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed 13 nights in 9 different Hotels in Rwanda.
This one is the worst and it's not worth the price:
- small room.
- no energy / no generator at night.
- cold shower.
- shared, dirty bathroom.
- 65 $.

Every youth hostel in Europe is better an half the price!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Gisakura hotels

Reviewed April 4, 2012 via mobile

The accommodations were very basic, with thin walls and shared bathrooms. Think summer camp. The saving grace was Samuel, the kind and friendly manager. He and his staff were accommodating, and the kitchen staff prepared good food. I booked our block of rooms (the whole house actually) through a travel agent in Kigali for $40 per night, which seemed reasonable. But when I went to pay, I was told the price was $60 per night per room. I showed the printout I had from the travel agent, but they insisted our travel agent had quoted the wrong price. The owner wouldn't budge on the price. I was very disappointed that they wouldn't at least meet me half way. As a previous comment said, the owner seems only concerned with money. Beware!

Stayed March 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gisakura
Hotel Paradis Malahide
Golden Monkey Hotel
Golden Monkey Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gikongoro
Red Rocks Rwanda - Campsite & Guesthouse

Been to Gisakura Guest House? Share your experiences!