“Great help and great service for storm-tossed, weary travelers!”

Lafayette Garden Inn & Conference Center
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in LaGrange
Greenville, South Carolina
“Great help and great service for storm-tossed, weary travelers!”
Reviewed April 14, 2011

If I'm out and about and just have to stay in a hotel, I've never thus far been steered wrong by Best Western. This time was no different.

A good friend of mine and I had been out to Auburn to see some folks we know out there, had a thoroughly enjoyable stay, but by the time we got back on the interstate, we were both tired...and discovered we had a squall-line of intense storms riding our back door, with winds becoming unbearable for driving. Before too long, we started looking for a hotel, and on signs for Exit 18, I saw "Best Western", and looked up their number on my Blackberry. Explained our situation to Terri, the lady on the desk that night, and she was EXTREMELY helpful in getting us accommodated. We were ready to pay full rate, but she reminded me and asked if I'd ever signed up for a BW rewards card...which I had, but had totally forgotten. I didn't even have the card with me, and she went to the trouble of getting my information and looking me up through their computer system, and offered us a much better rate than we would have gotten, and we received a room upgrade!

We pulled in just ahead of the storms, and were looking over the location...ordinarily I'm not crazy about exterior-door hotels, but the Lafayette Garden Inn looked clean, crisp and well kept, and Terri assured us that everything was in order and understood our concerns. We were checked in quickly and efficiently, and got into our room without getting wet, thankfully. We were greeted by queen-sized, pillow top beds which slept like the proverbial dream, the wireless internet service was good and we were able to check back in with our friends, and the bathroom and shower was clean and welcoming after the long ride (PS, if you like your water pressure hard and massaging, you'll like what they have at this BW!). We were given a room on the inner courtyard, which has to be entered by swiping your room key through a reader on wrought-iron gates...we felt very secure and safe after seeing this. With our location, we never heard much of the storm, and slept great.

We checked out the following morning just as quickly and easily as we'd checked in, and had a nice breakfast at the connected IHOP before heading back down the road toward home. Kudos and sincere thanks to Terri and the staff at the Best Western Lafayette Garden Inn for saving our bacon from a dangerous drive, and for being some of the best that hotel service has to offer. Two thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank RangerReady

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Maysville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 23, 2011

We chose this hotel as our base for a visit to Callaway Gardens and the Little White House, realizing it was 15-30 miles away. It was conveniently located for that purpose, and our selection of this property was based primarily on the web site description. Unfortunately, it is getting more and more difficult to trust Best Western properties.

About the only plus, other than the location adjacent to I-85, was an IHOP restaurant located just off the lobby. If you like IHOP, this is a bonus. Food and service at the restaurant was excellent.

The facilities are somewhat past their prime. The lobby is nice enough, and there are some thoughtful features like an excellent hot beverage machine (50 cents, but worth it). The interior courtyard was pleasant, and interior rooms opened onto the pool and surrounding landscaping, all in reasonable condition.

Exterior features are somewhat shabby, particularly toward the back of the hotel. Vending and ice machines are either missing or barely operable. Locked security gates give pause to those guests in the exterior rooms - are the interior rooms more secure?

Our room was dated, with peeling wallpaper, chipped paint, broken lamps (apparently intentionally - all the on/off switches were broken off, and all lights in the bedroom were controlled by the switch at the door). There were only two available electrical outlets, both in use.

The king bed was comfortable. The bed had four of the smallest pillows ever seen in a hotel - not nearly adequate for two adults. The bedspread was badly worn. A refrigerator was turned off; though turned on, it never did get cold, in two days. A one-cup coffee machine was available, but supplies were not provided for the second day of the stay.

Water pressure was good in the shower, but there was no shower liner - just a thin curtain that water poured through, all over the floor. There was no bath exhaust. The toilet rocked violently. The minimum number of towels for two people was provided, and less than that for the second night.

TV reception and channel selection were excellent, but not a modern set. Free internet service worked well the first night, but went down the second evening (the front desk advised it was the provider, not the hotel, causing the problem), and was still down at check out the next morning (causing some guests to be unable to successfully complete their check out process).

The room keycard failed to open the door the second evening, resulting in two people with their arms full of bags having to reload the car, drive back to the front desk (quite a distance), and update the card - no apology was given.

Staff were generally friendly, but did not go out of their way to be helpful.

Perhaps a reasonable bargain (just over $70 per night, including all taxes), but other options in the vicinity would have been a better choice.

I can no longer trust the Best Western or Ramada chains - some properties are excellent, but it is too much of a gamble.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kentucky_Traveler02

Travelers are raving about these LaGrange hotels

Macon, Georgia
Reviewed March 22, 2011

My family and I enjoyed staying here. Although the first night we got here the room we had booked was to small. It was a King bed room and we had brought a playpen and we needed a rollaway bed for the children, well there was no room to move we had to crawl over everything and the kids wanted to sleep in the bed with us . The baby slept in the play pen and the other two slept in the bed with us, but there was no room so I moved to the rollaway bed and slept there, very tight and uncomfortable. So when we got up the next morning we told the Manager on Duty Tanya about our situation, she got us a nicer and bigger room and was very accomadating and super nice. She didn't even charge us for the rollaway bed.Which was 10.00. We had brought our dog with us and when she gave us the other room she had forgotten we had our dog but she let us keep the room even though it wasn't "Pet friendly" they have rooms for that. But all I can say is that I enjoyed our stay and it was GREAT!!!! We will very much stay here again. Thank you Tanya!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank samanthaa85
Reviewed January 28, 2011

Yes i would recommend this to everyone. The mangement and staff are great people and i will be staying again soon.

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank carterjohn34
LaGrange, Georgia
Reviewed January 27, 2011

The property is a little old compared to other properties in that area, but you will not find a place that will take care of you any better than the employees of the Best Western Lafayette Garden Inn in LaGrange, GA. There is an IHOP off from the lobby for great eating and a lounge if you want something to drink and a little peace and quiet or if you want to talk there is a friendly staff to talk to you and help you with your stay. The rooms are very nice and quiet. Give them a try when in the area. You won't be disappointed for what you ger fpr the money.

• Stayed February 2010
3 Thank lagrangeman
Franklin, Georgia
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I was in town fishing on West Point Lake and a friend had recommended this hotel. They have a great set-up for fisherman. There was plenty of space for parking and there was a IHOP and a mexican restaurant on-site. I am new to writing reviews, but I travel a good bit. I was very surprised by the responsiveness of the staff. We had an issue with a running toilet and they had maintenance on-site to repair it. The bed was a little to soft for me, but I prefer a firm bed. If you like to have a drink, Toni will take care of you in the bar. They have a fireplace in the bar that is great and we needed it because it was freezing on the lake. Stayed three nights and look forward to returning for the Elite Series bass tournament in May.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank ts6934
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed May 14, 2010

My son talked me into staying here because of the IHOP breakfast included in the rate. The property is filthy, old, and in desperate need of a renovation. The beds were awful, dirty and unbearable to sleep on. Mine had a disgusting stain right underneath the slip cover....like somebody had been shot and bled out. My son spotted it the next morning as he was staring at the side of my mattress from his bed. Pillows were very old and uncomfortable. The last time this property did anything in their rooms or public areas was over 10 years ago. Carpeting is threadbare and outdated, bedspreads and all fabrics including my desk chair are gross! The "free breakfast" that comes with the rate is a selected menu item with very few options. This is the most disturbing hotel I have ever stayed in.....a dumpster fire of a property! Owners need to tear everything down and start over! Whoever has anything nice to say about this hotel has got to be blind. Trust me, I stay in hotels over 100 nights a year.....this place is a JOKE!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank BigDaveB10
lafayettegardeninn, Guest Relations Manager at Lafayette Garden Inn & Conference Center, responded to this review, June 1, 2010
Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to comment on your stay at the Best Western Lafayette Garden Inn. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed by management immediately.

Because of your honest feedback we have discovered the coffee stain on the mattress and resolved it. Our pillows are all Best Western mandatory Comforelle brand and we understand that some guests want a more firm pillow. We appreciate your candor and thank you again for taking the time.

Sincerely, Tanya Lucas, Guest Services Manager