“Surprise in LaGrange” 4 of 5 bubbles

Good for: Kids, Families with children
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Surprise in LaGrange”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Forced by too many hours on the road we stopped near LaGrange, Georgia for the evening and eventually found our way to the town center... Lafayette named the town some years ago and indeed is still standing in the lovely square. We were looking for a locally owned spot for dinner and found Venucci @ 129 Main Street. Yum! In fact four of five yums and if they had a bar license, well. With instruction from the wait staff I walked about half a block for a nice bottle of wine which she opened and brought glasses... no corkage fee!
Not to roll it out too long but the food was all from scratch, great bread and perfect service.
Nice downtown shops for a little window shopping.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank justcausey

Houma, La
“Fresh & cozy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

My husband took me here for our anniversary. To start the smell was delicious-there was freshly baked mini-loaves of real french bread in the window. They served us the french bread with fresh olive oil and parmesan cheese. We had fresh salad with homemade house dressing. Bravo! My entree with Eggplant and fresh spinach was cooked perfectly and every mouthful was delightful. What a treat. I really wanted to try the Tiramisu for dessert but I was too full. Next time, yes.

• Visited March 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LaGrange
“Dressed up low quality ingredients”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

Food type: Italian

Price range for an entree $12 - $29

Seating: LImited. The restaurant is very narrow with a semi exposed kitchen (more on this later)

They have the typical pasta, marinara, alfredo, pesto, etc. They also have grilled items like steak, chicken, and some seafood.

Now for an entree that could cost upwards of $29, you'd expect that you're paying for fresh ingredients. And for a "high end" Italian restaurant, you expect the pasta to be fresh and made in house. To my surprise though, I happened to look into the ktichen window when the cook moved a pan of table bread to see and saw large boxes of Extra Value Lasagna noodles (The house brand at Wal-Mart).

If I want Wal-Mart Lasagna, I can buy that myself for a dollar. I was very disappointed because it was abundantly clear that the restaurant I took my in-laws to for their birthday served the equivalent of a high school spaghetti dish.

• Visited May 2012