“New, but kind of cheesy”

Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in LaGrange
“New, but kind of cheesy”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

This hotel is immaculate. The staff tries very hard. The walls are thin..even the towels are very cheap. This must be the newer version of Motel 6. The breakfast was aweful. The only hot cereal is grits (but they offer Korean foods??). The pastries have come from Wal-Mart. The hot bar is bad. My milk in the carton was spoiled and my dry cereal was old. There was no excuse for that type of service. I would never stay at another of their hotels...sorry.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
DOS_LaGrange, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Scottchip, We at the Wingate want to thank you for your review. We are sorry that the food on the breakfast bar did not appeal to you, especially the Korean menu, but we try to change the options daily as well as accommodate fairly the wide variety of guests, both domestic and international, that we have. We do wish you would have informed us and our Breakfast Ambassador while you were here so we could have made it right for you on the spot, instead of extending just this brief response. We like to make sure our guests are satisfied when they are here, in every aspect, from the cleanliness, to the staff, down to the coffee in the rooms.
We do hope when you are coming through LaGrange again you will give us an opportunity to accommodate you again with excellent results.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
Bentonville, Arkansas
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed two nights in September 2012 . The staff was superb. Front desk employees, Michael and Chrystal always remembered my name and were quick to respond to the slightest request. I stayed here after spending two nights just down the road..a business connection recommended Wingate and it was a home run.

Room Tip: The top floor has been recently remodeled. All rooms are good but these are the best.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank CalW4862
Thank you CalW- we are glad that you chose us and we also appreciate the word-of-mouth advertising that your business connection provided. We do realize that you had a choice, as you were already staying at another location, and the fact that you moved to our property means a great deal. Then, to give us such a wonderful compliment...well, that's just icing on the cake for us! Our front desk strives for excellence and to be recognized by name for great service is extra special and we all want to thank you for noticing them.

We hope that you will visit us again should your travels bring you to LaGrange!

Regards- The Wingate Team
Walland, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 18, 2012

My wife and I attended our 40 year Hign School Reunion and stayed at the Wingate in LaGrange, Ga. I must say the facility is spotless and very quite, the rooms are spacious and comfortable. Usually when I travel I have trouble sleeping the first couple of nights but the beds at this hotel are excellent, very comfortable - I told my wife I wanted to take the bed home with me. I haven't lived in LaGrange for over 20 years and in past visits I had lowered my expectations any time I was in town due to some bad experiences but this time I went down town and was very impressed with how the square and main street areas have been improved, that coupled with the excellent stay we had at the Wingate made this the first trip I've made to LaGrange that I truly enjoyed, we will stay here on our next trip.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
DOS_LaGrange, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you for staying with us during your event. It is so nice to know that even with the many other hotel choices you had you still chose to stay with us. We enjoyed having your group, and you, as our guests. It is a wonderful thing to know that you found us clean and comfortable and that our customer service was good. We hope that you found the area fresh and exciting from how it was when you graduated and last came to visit and we at the Wingate hope that you will be our guest when you visit again.

Safe travels,
The Wingate Team
Rome
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was the WORST experience I have ever had at a hotel and being an avid traveler I have seen the good, bad and ugly! The management at this hotel or rather lack of was extremely unprofessional. When checking into our room the young lady at the desk assigned a room right next to the elevator, mind you I was a single woman with three children, and there was a group of young basketball players at the hotel several of which were on our floor (as we heard them several times during the night running down the halls laughing and yelling) If this was not bad enough I went to use the restroom and there was a dark hair in the toilet and what appeared to be dark urine stains near the joints where the toilet seat can be lifted. Needless to say I did not use the restroom as I wanted to speak to the front desk about it first. When I went into the room one of the bed skirts was badly snagged and both were wrinkled. This was not what I expected for a Wyndham brand hotel. I called the front desk and spoke to Sara. I inquired about why we were in a room next to the elevator and if it was a last resort room since we were paying a lower rate than RACK. She stated there were no last resort rooms, but that was the last room she had and in the same breath tells me that there is another room on the first floor?! I then tried to inform her about the hair in the toilet and she had the audacity to tell me that she had to hang up because there was another call!!!! Excuse me, are you serious? I am a paying guest and deserved to be treated with respect. I personally work in the hospitality industry and was disgusted at the way she was treating me. I told her to have the manager waiting for me as I was on my way down. When I got downstairs there was a sign right by the front desk which read "Manager on Duty--Jack Brand". I heard the receptionist telling the manager that I wanted to speak to him, but when she got off the phone she said that he will be back on Monday. Hang on a second, let me get this straight, you have a sign clearly stating he is ON DUTY, yet he tells her he will be back at the hotel on Monday?! This is crazy! An on duty manager means they are actually on the premises! This manager could care less about the issues I had with his property and staff. If it were not for the fact that I had been driving all day and spent the day out with my children who were now tired and hungry I would have packed my bags and left.

This hotel has 100 rooms, according to the receptionist, but NO manager available on the weekends! The managers unprofessional attitude and lack of care for his guests is unacceptable. A manager who states he will be back on Monday does NOTHING for the problems I was having on Saturday! I didn't care when he would be back, what I wanted was for my issues to be resolved. Sara did show me a queen room on the first floor, again right next to an elevator. Maybe she did not understand when I explained to her that I am a single woman with three children. Then she showed me a king suite which was away from the elevators, but I would rather we have beds than a king and sleeper sofa.

If things could not get any worse, imagine my surprise when I went back to the room to finally use the restroom. I did clean the toilet with travel Lysol wipes and flushed the hair down the toilet. I went to wash my hands and there was TOOTHPASTE splatter on the taps! When I shut the door to the restroom and looked at the tub there were THREE dark hairs on the side of the tub and another dark hair by the tap. This has got to be a joke! A room that is a rack rate of $99 per night should have better housekeeping. Again, I had to clean the bath myself as I didn't want my children to use a filthy tub.

The only pros I have for this hotel would be the lovely breakfast lady who served a great breakfast and even brought me fresh fruit for my son. The clerk on duty Sunday morning was also a breath of fresh air after such a terrible experience. He was very professional and provided excellent directions as well as a list of attractions for the day out we had planned.

Cons: Terrible management who did ZERO to resolve a guest complaint. Night staff who do not know how to handle a guest complaint or act professionally. Filthy bathrooms. Pictures on website do not accurately reflect any of the three rooms I viewed! The list goes on.

I will never stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Ask to view your room prior to check-in to make sure you have a clean one!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
10 Thank brittinGA
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This hotel was excellent. The gentlemen at the front desk working both of days we were there was extremely welcoming and helpful. He even allowed us to check in early which was very helpful with two traveling toddlers tired from a long car ride. We had a suite which was amazing. Beautiful hardware floors and French doors in the bedroom so our smallest could sleep in a "separate area." The free hot breakfast was also terrific. The only recommendation I have would be to include some type of cartoon channel such as Disney or nick jr for small children, but I'm not sure what they're main demographic is. Overall, an amazing experience and terrific value.

• Stayed June 2012
DOS_LaGrange, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
It is so nice to know that you enjoyed one of our Executive Suites. It is our pleasure to make our guests welcome and happy and the front desk is so thankful for the wonderful compliments that you gave them. We do take suggestions very seriously, so we will definitely forward along the idea for the Cartoon Network as well.
Please join us again if your travels bring you back to LaGrange!
Kindest regards,
The Wingate Management and Staff
atlanta
Reviewed April 18, 2012

My husband and myself stayed at the hotel for four days celebrating my birthday
the staff were very friendly . Our room was clean of course the wood floor was very impressive the bathroom was clean lot of space . Breakfast was good
I would not hesitate to reccommend someone to the hotel Wingate by Wyndham
thank you all for your hospitality i certainly will be back .

Room Tip: Higher room has less noise,
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
DOS_LaGrange, Director of Sales at Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for allowing us to make your birthday special. We are so glad that you chose to celebrate your time with us. We pride ourselves on our unique rooms and our staff is so happy to know that you were treated exactly as you should expect to be- with friendliness and appreciation for choosing our hotel when there are many other good options in the area. We hope that you will return to the Wingate on your next trip to LaGrange.
Happy Birthday to you! The Wingate Staff
Hampton, Georgia
Reviewed April 14, 2012

A group of us went to spend the weekend in the area to celebrate a birthday. We were able to get an excellent deal through Expedia.com. We stayed for only one night, but was very impressed. The staff was friendly. The room was lovely. The full breakfast, was not gourmet, but definitely acceptable and not continental. Overall, great value. Would consider staying here again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
We wanted to thank you for your review. It is always wonderful to hear that we are making sure our most important asset, our guests, have enjoyed their experience. It makes it even more satisfying for us to know that you considered us enough to post to Trip Advisor. Thank you for being our guest and we look forward to seeing you again.

The Wingate Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near LaGrange
Hampton Inn Lagrange near Callaway Gardens
La Quinta Inn & Suites LaGrange / I-85
Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Lafayette Garden Inn & Conference Center
The Lodge and Spa at Callaway Gardens
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#6 of 10 in LaGrange

Been to Wingate by Wyndham LaGrange? Share your experiences!