“Not the best Hampton Inn!”

Hampton Inn Kingsland
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in Kingsland
Elyria, Ohio
“Not the best Hampton Inn!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

As hotel chains go, I like the Hampton Inn brand. They tend to have nice comfortable rooms and a decent free breakfast which is nice when traveling with family. However, my experience at this Hampton Inn was less than acceptable. The room was fine, we got a suite, which was very large and comfortable, though I don't understand the exposed bathroom design which kept everyone up while it was being used by others.
My real displeasure was with the lady running the breakfast room. We slept in a little and I didn't get down to the breakfast area until about half way through the allotted eating time. I was looking to have the hot oatmeal and when I got there, the container was empty, except for some drips and drabs. I went and found the attendant in the adjoining kitchen and told her the container was quite empty...and she was rather sarcastic, " Oh, really?" She then came out and got the container and brought it back into the kitchen. I waited about 20 minutes for her to come out with a fresh batch...but it never appeared. When I went to the kitchen to check, I saw she had simply cleaned it out and those of us who hadn't come down in the first hour and a half weren't going to get any oatmeal. I felt like one of the Three Bears, returing home to say, "And somebody took away my oatmeal and I'll never get any!"
When you pay up a bit to stay in a nice place, it would be great if you could coexist with a staff that understands they're there to make your stay a pleasent one. This woman could use a little attitude adjustment.
Finally decided to just take advantage of the travel bags they offer when you're heading out and don't have time to eat in and found they didn't have any at this Hampton.
This is only the second substandard stay I've had at a Hampton Inn...and nowhere near as bad as our attempted stay at their hotel in Pittsburgh where they "lost" our reservation, but it was enough to send us out looking for other brands to try on the rest of our trip.
Others seemed to have been okay here...but I wouldn't recommend it based on our exerience. I didn't, but should have talked to a manager while I was there, so I have to take some of the blame for not making that effort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank wamrazing
hikingslandga, General Manager at Hampton Inn Kingsland, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to bring this issue to my attention. I do apologize for our breakfast attendant not helping you and promptly bringing out more oatmeal, this is not up to my standards and I have talked to her about the issue. As for the togo bags if there were none out at that time my staff would have been more than happy to get you one. Thank you again and rest assured this issue will be taking care of.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
North Fort Myers, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is always are layover when were heading back to FL from Philadelphia. The hotel is always clean and the people are always friendly. In a good locations where you could always fine a good place to eat.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

Stayed at this Hampton Inn on our trip to FL. Location is right off I95. Lots of shops and restaurants on King Ave. Finding the entrance to the hotel can be tricky. Hotel suggests using Boone for the navigation system. You have to actually cross the railroad and drive parallel to it to find entrance.
Our family of four had no problem with check in and had a restful night. Room and hotel were very clean. Although new, I would say that in general this hotel is a the smaller side. Rooms are rather small for American standards; the pool also seems smaller than others.
Breakfast choices were the usual, but staff was very good at replenishing goods with a smile and positive attitude. However, there were few tables available.
I would definitely stay again in this hotel, service was excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hubbard, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Headed from Ohio to Florida and we always make it to here to stop and leave a 3 hour drive for the next day...

Decent hotel off of 95, easy on and off with good food options.... Clean and provides breakfast... Not bad for the price.

• Stayed December 2012
West Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

My family stayed at this hotel while returning home from a vacation in Florida this June. We didn't have a reservation and we checked in after midnight with no problems. The hotel was clean and appeared to be relatively new. We basically just needed a place to lay our heads for the night and get a quick breakfast and we had no complaints.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
hikingslandga, General Manager at Hampton Inn Kingsland, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. On behalf of the staff we are glad that you had a good stay with us and hope to see you again soon.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

I arrived here for a business trip expecting to be welcomed as a new guest but had a difficult time with the check-in process. I felt very unwelcome here. There were two young ladies who were at the front desk. One was friendly and the other one was very rude and disrespectful to me. She did not believe me when I told her I was there on business and did not want to take my credit card. She said a lot of people are abusing the government rate. I am still giving the hotel a good rating since all of the other staff were nice and friendly to me during my stay there. She ended up taking my card but made it clear to me that it was only for this stay. I have never had this problem at the other two Hamptons I have stayed for business.

• Stayed October 2012
hikingslandga, General Manager at Hampton Inn Kingsland, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
We are sorry we were not able to provide you with a better quality of service. This is not typical of our usual Hamptonality and welcoming staff, and we are always looking for ways to improve our customer experience. I can assure you that we will address this with our staff members, and we don’t suspect this being an issue again in the future. It is our policy for the Per Diem that you must have government ID, pay with government credit card or have travel orders for this rate due to the amount of government business we do here in kingsland. I have addressed this issue with my staff. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we are all about Satisfaction Guaranteed and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a great stay. Thank you for your feedback and we hope you will come back and stay with us again
Williamsburg, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I was returning from a business trip to Florida and stopped here at around 9:00 pm. I did not have reservations (having been in the car all day), but I asked the clerk to give me my company's corporate rate. She did not know how to get the rate entered and asked me to resolve it in the morning with the day clerk. The day clerk entered the rate, but it did not update on my bill and I was charged the higher rate. When I called the hotel to get this corrected, the person who answered refused to identify himself by name, or give me his email address (so I could send the documentation) but said, "I am the manager". He refused to honor the corporate rate because I was a "walk-in" and ignored a request sent by the Hilton Honors Desk to resolve the issue.

I remember exactly nothing about the hotel itself; I was there less than 12 hours. I can't comment on anything except the disappointing treatment a Hilton Diamond Member of longstanding received. Under no circumstances will I ever return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Annual_Skier
hikingslandga, Manager at Hampton Inn Kingsland, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry our policy did not meet your needs. However, I would like to apologize for the level of service that you received from our staff members. Your comments will help us to improve our policies and better serve our guests in the future. Thank you for your review.