“GREAT VALUE, GREAT ROOM, GREAT STAFF!”

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Kingsland
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in Kingsland
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Suffolk, Virginia, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2012

This was my first time staying here and I would definitely come again. Miss Lola and her staff catered to my team needs. This is a great location for shopping and eating. Miss Lola made me feel quite at home. The breakfast was also great. The bedroom was quite spacious. There is also a beautiful pool waitng and ready for you to relax in.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bonita Springs, Florida
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel had a two room suit for very little money. If I had not been driving through, I would have enjoyed the ful refridgerator, kitchenette and microwave. We did enjoy the two tvs, nice work space and very dark curtains. I got a wonderful nights sleep. The bathroom was roomy with a walk in shower. Who ever takes a tub at a motel anyway?
Lola set the tone when we checked in and everything was as she told us it would be.
There is a nice hot and cold breakfast, too. The coffee was good and I can be harsh in that judgement.
I did wonder about the fountain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport News, Virginia, United States
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband had business in Georgia and he, myself and my 12 yr old daughter stayed for a month at the Hawthorn. The room was clean and the staff was curteous and friendly, especially LaShonna, Lola and others whose names I have forgotten (please forgive me) and if something is broken or breaks they will fix it right away, I mean before you can hang up the phone someone is knocking at your door. Your sheets are scheduled to be changed every other day but you can request that they change them everyday if you like, they kept the place very clean. We had a full size refrigerator in the kitchen, range top stove (no oven), large microwave and we shopped for food and cooked like we were at home, two large beds and an additional sofa bed in the livingroom of our room. There were TV's in the bedroom as well as the livingroom. My daughter and I spent most of our evenings at the pool which remained open until 11 pm. Walmart is very close as well as other places for shopping and eating and they have a laundry facility for guest on the property. If quarters are needed you can get them at the front desk. My only problem was that I am taking online classes and the free internet went out about 21/2 weeks into our trip, some times you would get it and sometimes not. The good thing is that they have two desk tops for guests down stairs and a printer. I believe the problem was cleared up just before we left but that was a very frustrating time for me and my daughter. I recommend the Hawthorn if you intend to be away from home for a good period of time. When we left I was glad to get home and when I got home I kind of missed it ;).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Belmont, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property on our way to Florida. The staff was very warm and welcoming even though we checked in late at night. The rooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable. Breakfast was standard but the staff was very nice. When checking in to the hotel I forgot my credit card at the front desk. The following day I got a call from the hotel telling me that they would hold it until I passed back through on my way home. This location is a half way spot for me when traveling to FL to see family and I will stay at this hotel again. The only bad part about this property is that it is not clearly marked on the main road and difficult to see.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stopped at this hotel to be greeted by a very nice desk lady. Very neat fountain near the elevators. Big rooms with temperature controls AND different TV's in different rooms so everyone got to watch what they wanted. We also had everything we needed in there including a refrigerator, body wash and shampoo in the shower, a stove top, and a microwave! Everything went great except for a couple of things.

The hot tub near the pool area outside of the hotel did not last very long, but a great hot tub nonetheless. The shower is...unusual, I should say. There is no door in the shower so if you are standing at a specific angle, people can see you if they go into the bathroom. Not a very comfortable position. And water got onto the floor afterwards which made me slip. Also the water had an unusual way with temperatures. When I got in, it hit me with frigid cold water. I went down to the front desk about and they said they had a "full house" and the temperature wasn't working right. When I went back into the shower, it was fine. Then after about a minute of showering, it went cold again and it went back and forth throughout the whole shower. If showers are most important to you in a hotel, don't stay here. Also they claimed to have vending machines even though I walked the entire hotel inside and out trying to find one.

But I highly recommend you stay here because overall, it is a great hotel. I had a great time here and I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2012

On checking into this great looking property, the lady on the desk was lovely. So nice and friendly. We had been driving for 10 hours, were exhausted and were looking for a comfortable place to stay.

There was a beautiful fountain in the atrium, however, it was empty of water, and there were coins lying at the bottom of it. This should have been a clue that maintenance and attention to detail were not all they should be.

The room was great. Nice sitting room with huge TV, good bathroom, nice little kitchenette, and nice king size bed.

My husband and I each wanted to watch something different on TV, so I got undressed and got into bed only to find that the remote didn't work. My husband went downstairs to get some new batteries, but it still didn't work.

The livingroom TV had no remote at all, and the front desk had none to replace it.

Our lovely desk lady offered to change us to another room but I had already gotten into bed, and was not about to get up and dressed and moved.

This was a dissapointing inconvenience, however, things happen.

The next morning, however, there was no hot water for the shower. I called downstairs and was told that the maintenance man would go and look at the water heater "AGAIN". A cold shower does not make for a good start to the day.

On the way out, I stopped at the desk and told them about the things that had gone wrong, and I was offered a 10% discount, which I did not accept.

This lovely property is spoiled by inattentive management and maintenance.

I hope that they make some changes fast!

Room Tip: Pick another hotel. There are lots in the area.