“Good tour”

Stately Oaks Plantation
Ranked #1 of 15 things to do in Jonesboro
More attraction details
Owner description: Stately Oaks is an 1839 antebellum house listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Its plain Greek Revival architecture is representative of the era in which it was built. It was originally constructed in 1839 by Mr. Whitmill Allen who sold his home to Robert McCord in 1858 and then moved to Tyler, Texas. It is located in Jonesboro, GA., the very city where Scarlett had to pay the taxes on Tara. Even though Tara only existed in Margaret Mitchell's imagination, she placed Tara in Clayton County where she had visited relatives who lived on a large plantation south of Jonesboro. Many of the stories she heard as a child are in the movie. Clayton County is truly home of Gone With the Wind. Also on site, are a one room schoolhouse, a tenant cabin, cook's house, country store, blacksmith shop and Native American Indian Village.
Chesapeake, Virginia
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Good tour”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

It was an interesting tour of the house as well as mourning practices of the Victorian era. This tourist stop has changing themes throughout the year and you can return again and again and not me bored.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank dguern1

Tyrone, Georgia
60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“Just OK”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I've lived nearby for 20 years and just recently visited. It was me and my 3 kids. Some of the reviews I've read are a bit harsh. While Stately Oaks does identify itself as being in Clayton County, "The Home of Gone with the Wind", I do not think it tries to make it seem it has more of a role in the movie than it does, which it doesn't. They did share a fascinating story of its part in the Civil War but I will not spoil that for you here. The house itself is nice but I think once you have seen one Greek Revival style house, you have seen them all. What the main attraction for us was that during the month of August only, they depart from the regular tour and give a "Victoria Mourning Tour" which explains mourning/grieving rituals from the Victorian era. Not gruesome at all but very interesting for those that have an interest in the Victorian age. The house was decorated as it would be for a family in mourning. There are a number of out buildings to see including a general store which serves as the ticketing window/gift shop, plus a school, kitchen etc... There is also a Creek Indian Village which was not very well maintained, one of the structures was close to falling down. It was an enjoyable visit but something I would only recommend for people interested in history.

Visited August 2012
4 Thank PatriotGal
Willis, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A trip back in time”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Through the descriptions of our knowledgeable tour guides, we could imagine ourselves living in the time that Stately Oaks was a viable plantation replete with joy and tears. Before we arrived, I knew that the home was originally down the road from Margaret Mitchell's grandparents home and, as a young girl, she was influenced by it's charm as she passed by. From the non-verbal messages on calling cards, courting candles, and to how to tell photographs of boy babies from girl babies since both wore dresses, we learned so much about life in the 1800s. It was fascinating to my husband and me and we are not even avid Gone With the Wind buffs. The home more closely represents Tara in the book rather than the one in the movie and was an awesome place to while away an afternoon visiting the home and the outbuildings. We loved it!.

2 Thank Texasfoodie_12
Chicago
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Almost a complete waste of time”
Reviewed May 19, 2012

We felt that the plantation was hyped as a real influence in the life of Margaret Mitchell and that it influenced her depiction of Tara in the novel.
When we visited, we discovered that she had never even visited the plantation.
None of the furnishings nor decorations were authentic and the house seemed cluttered to us.
The guide seemed bored by the experience and was not very friendly nor personable.
I would go to the Jonesboro Museum and I would take the bus tour but I would avoid this plantation.

3 Thank Melaney R
atlanta, ga
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great information of Civil War Era”
Reviewed May 7, 2012

EXCELLENT Tour, Very Knowledable tour guides Ted Key
buy tickets in the gift shop, Well worth it tours every hour
11 / 12 / 1 / 2 / 3 Closes at 4 pm Interesting outside structures.
August has MOURNING TOURS So interesting! Don't miss it!

2 Thank talio101