“Great place to send family time if you like bike riding/beach exploring”

Jekyll Island Historic District
jax fl
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great place to send family time if you like bike riding/beach exploring”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

It has been an annual thing, since my kids were young. I take them and their bikes (or you can rent them) and we bike the island on safe biking trails. We take a picinic lunch and stop on the beach. It can be a very relaxing day and done for only the price of crossing the causeway bridge, for this single mom, The kids love exploring the beach and the history of the island. We use our imagination of who love in the beautiful old beach "cottages" that are mansions to us. We almost always spot dolphins. They still do this trip as adults.

Visited March 2012
1 Thank cmcJaxFl

Dunkirk, New York
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Step Back in Time”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

The grounds of the Millionaire's Village are great to see how those wealthy folks of the late 1800's relaxed. The "cottages" would not be out of place in Bar Harbor or the Hamptons. Very well preserved and some are open for tours during holiday season.

Visited November 2012
Brunswick, Georgia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Another Jekyll Island Rip Off...Beware!”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I just passed through the new Jekyll Island Pay Station and bought the $45 annual pass at the self service station. We buy one every year or so. I was instructed to go into the visitor's center get my sticker to automatically open the gate as I passed. Inside I was told by two different employees, one man and one woman, I'd also have to buy an additional sticker to upgrade their new scanner system for 8 additional dollars. I asked why I needed two scanning devices and why it wasn't included in the $45 dollars in the self service machine? The man told me I'd have to eventually buy it by January or the current scanner on my car would not work, so I told him just to give me a refund and forget it. Then he changed his story and said "Well it will work until your current sticker runs out next December and admitted that there was a discussion going on about the additional scanner that cost 8 additional dollars. So I guess in fact, both employees had just down right lied to me when they said my old scanner, which I just purchased 5 minutes ago, wasn't going to work after January. Either that or they are lying about the old sticker working after January so they didn't have to refund my money today. So what I guess is these two employees don't know when they are telling customers a lie or they have been told to tell a lie or series of lies to scam visitors out of an additional $8 to enter Jekyll Island State Park. This park definitely needs to go back under State of Georgia supervision and be taken away for the Island Authority in my opinion. Just about everything has gone downhill at the park in the last few years including the golf courses and the food services. The citizens of Georgia who pay taxes and fees to use the rest of the State Park System of Georgia desire better. Please write you elected representative and ask them to return Jekyll Island to a regular State Park where Georgia's citizens are not subjected to these type of scams and employees are subject dismmissal for blatently lying to customers.

Visited December 2012
6 Thank Mike P
florida
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A delightful day”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

So interesting. Amazing the history that happened here. The little shops are great. The homes beautiful and the guides informative

Visited November 2012
Plant City, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice to tour”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

There isn't much to do on Jekyll Island except relax. But we toured the historic district by horse-drawn carriage. It was very interesting to hear the stories of the old buildings and the elegant country club. The houses are grand! Several charming shops are along the way and offer a nice array of gifts. Famous names have a history here and it's a nice, relaxing tour to take while visiting the island.

Visited September 2012