“Not What We Expected!!!”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 5, 2009

The Location of the hotel was ok. It is right across the street from the beach and within reasonable distance of the attractions on the island. Now my main concern is the room, sevice, pool, and cleanliness.

#1 The ROOM, NOT AS PICTURED!!!! IT was SMALL and CRAMPED! We had the supposedly...Large 2 bedroom suite and it was NOT AS PICTURED....The Air Conditioning SUCKED!!! The vents in the bedrooms and bathroom didn't work and were DIRTY, The windows in the bedrooms CAN open they are NOT secure BEWARE OF YOUR VALUABLES, the kitchen is SMALL, the only thing good about the room was the beds...they were comfortable.

#2 The Service....we had 3 lil ones and 2 teenagers, now for b-fast we didn't want to take all the kids down so we took food back to the room well the B-fast LADY decided to get smart w/us in her OWN language to tell us "THAT IS FOR B-FAST ONLY" I was like "WHAT" she acted like it was her kitchen.....the B-fast area was HOT like the air didn't work, flies everywhere, and VERY VERY SMALL!!!!!! It was like they gutted 2 rooms to make the b-fast room, it was ridiculous.

The POOL area stayed dirty, the pool itself was dirty, the skimmer doors of the pool didn't work 1 was broke off and they fit it with something else that didn't work, there was bugs, debris, and the floor of the pool was just gross, not enough tables or lounge chairs, the sundeck is bigger than the actual pool.

The Cleanliness was just not in the housekeepers vocabulary, the FLOORS were DIRTY our feet were black, the cabinets were filthy, and the day we were packing up to leave a "ROACH" crawled on the FLIPPEN FLOOR!!! NONE of us drank coffee, and the day we were leaving we noticed WATER in the coffee pot w/coffee Granuals, JUST GROSS!!!!!! Also there was dirt and dust around the intake vent and the air vent...OMG!!! JUST INSANE GROSS!!

Before we left to come down we called to make sure the kitchen was stocked w/the proper kitchen utencils.....and of course when we get there NO CAN OPENER!!!! They DON"T PROVIDE CAN OPENERS....so we had to go out and buy one among other things they didn't provide.

I will NOT come back here and I will do my best to PREVENT my friends and other family members to NOT stay here either!!! Do yourself a favor and DON'T stay here either!!! Find another place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
qualityjekyll, general manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2009

Please accept our apologies that conditions
at our hotel were not what you expected.
Your issues have been addressed with the staff and management. We appreciate your comments.

Reviewed June 24, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. We expected a clean, comfortable room within walking distance of the beach. This hotel delivered and exceeded our expectations. The staff was great, the room was great and the breakfast was as well. We did not expect the Ritz for what we were paying, but we got a great stay for the money. You can not expect more for what you will pay here…it just is not realistic.

Housekeeping was so good that after thoroughly cleaning our room, the housekeeper left the tip on the desk (for those of you who don’t know, you should tip a hotel housekeeper just as you would a server in a restaurant) that we left for her because she was not sure if it was just money I had left out. I had to go find her and give it to her. She had cleaned all of the sand out of the floor and cleaned the room as well as it was when we arrived. The person who complained about housekeeping was way off base.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants to go to the beach and not pay out the butt for it. This hotel is without question the best value on the island. We had a wonderful vacation at Jekyll and that is due in large part to the staff at the Quality Inn.

I had read some bad reviews about this hotel, but they all seemed to expect too much for what they were paying. There are much more expensive hotels that offer a lot more butt kissing than this hotel, but I promise that if you want a clean, comfortable room at a reasonable price where you can walk to the beach, this is where you want to stay on Jekyll Island.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mark H
Reviewed June 19, 2009

I recently stayed at this motel and had a very bad experience with reservation changes and charges that was done through choicehotels. We had to make a few reservation changes with our group from guest counts and choices. We moved the reservation up just one day, but the old reservation wasnt canceled. So when I first get there I was told My credit card was no good, all in front of a lobby full of people, which really embarrassed and confused me, my wife said just pay cash and we will fix later, just wanted to get to the room. I checked my bank account on line and saw where the hotel charged me for all 4 rooms the night before and the same day I was checking in!, which cleaned out my account! Now im broke and just started my little 3 day get away, and 400 miles from home. I go straight to the desk clerk and asked about the charges, of course she cant find anything, told i need to talk to the property manager. The manager contacted me later and I asked what was going on, she told me that I no showed the night before, which resulted in the charge, and charged me for the next day, the day I was checking in. I told her that the reservation was changed through choice hotels. I told her I was broke and I wanted the charges reversed so I could have cash. She fixed it the next day and everything seemed to be fine. We payed for 3 rooms and stayed 3 days. Well when I get home and looked at my bank account, they charged my card again!! WTF!! Im really fuming now, I called the Property Manager, to find out what was going on, she tells me in a really sarcastic way, " You no showed one night on your reservation that wasnt cancelled, so you must pay for 2 of the rooms" I told her that I thought this problem was taken care of and since it was choice hotels that didnt cancel the first reservation that it was fine. She said no, I held those rooms for you and could have used them, So sorry, if you want to dispute you must go through who made your reservations. I told her, the hell will I pay that, Ill dispute the charges with my bank, I just stayed there and our group spent alot of money at your hotel. I told her I will be sending out a complaint to Choice, she was fine with it, which is a pretty crappy way to be to your guest, and you can tell her attitude trickles on down to her day staff. The gentleman who works the evening shift the nights we stayed was very friendly and helpful with info about the area. Other than that the hotel was ok, old and musty smelling and ive seen cleaner, I would recommend if it wasnt for the treatment of management. Watch your bank account daily, a couple of the guest staying there told me that they also charge an extra 10% at the start, other than what your quoted, then at the end reverse that 10% at final payment, so watch you bank account daily if they have your credit card number!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
qualityjekyll, manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2009

two different people made reservations for this guest and failed to cancel one set. We held these rooms for him all night on a night when we were full. We only charged him for the amount of the no show reservations-we did not charge him an extra 10%.

Reviewed June 17, 2009

We had a 2 -room suite which included 2 large bedrooms, large living area, and kitchen area. The rate would have been very reasonable except for the marginal quality of everything else. We had to leave the bedroom doors open at night because the A/C did not seem to work in there. At checkout, two other patrons reported the same complaint about their room so it could be a systemic issue. Kitchen was adequately stocked with dishes and cookware but no can opener. The remote control for the TV in the common area did not work at all even after putting new batteries in. Room key cards kept not working and had to be replaced (also a complaint another patron had) By far, the worst issue was housekeeping. There were long hairs VERY VISIBLE sticking on the hair dryer in the bathroom which remained there for the entire stay. On day 2, we had returned to the room at noon to prepare lunch when the maid came to service the room. We told her we would be finished in about an hour and she scowled saying , "i'm supposed to be done by 1:00." That was rich considering when we checked in at 2:30 the day before we had to wait because the room was not ready. Anyway, we asked to just get some fresh towel and she mumbled about changing out the garbage bags. At that point, I invited her in and told her she clean the suite and work around us since we were all in the kitchen. She then had the audacity to ask if we wanted the beds made. In the end, she made the beds, exchanged towels, and took out garbage. There was no vacuuming and the bathroom was not touched. The next day, we made a point to stay out of the room from morning until 4:00. When we returned, the beds were not made, no fresh towels, etc. No service at all that day. They did clean the following 2 days but took the bottle of dish detergent from the kitchen and left us with some detergentt poured into a styrofoam cup. Breakfast was adequate- ceral, bagels, pastries, sausage, egg "discs", belgian waffles, etc
HIgh points were definitely the 24 hr coffee service in the lobby. Was flavorful and usually hot. Pool was good and the hotel was generally quiet. Check in and check out people were excellent but other staff were more interested in watching TV or talking on the cell than in helping customers. The hotel is older but reasonable maintained except for AC. It is also across from the beach so access was great.
Overall, this place is passable if there are no other alternatives but in the future we will rent one of the many homes for rent. There were several we could've gotten for a week for the same price or less as 5 nights at the Quality Inn

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 6, 2008

The hotel itself was outdated but attempts were made to make it more modern. The island was pretty much deserted, the hotel is directly across the street from the beach. I'll start with the good. Check in and check out was very quick, we arrived about 30-45 minutes before check in time and the room was ready. The suite was large and very clean and the beds were comfortable. We were 'upgraded' to a room with a kitchenette which included a stove. After checking in we changed clothes and went to tour the surrounding area.
We returned to our room around 1:30 the next morning and when I turned on the lights I noticed a somewhat large bug scurrying across the floor. The bug was immediately exterminated. After this I was somewhat on edge. Not wanting to be ignored, I noticed another, much smaller bug walking across the floor toward my friend who was watching tv. This bug was also exterminated. After 2 bugs in less than 3 minutes I went to check the bed for others and was about to call the front office to complain when I was told to go back into the living room area and look on the wall next to the phone. On the wall was a bug that was about 3 inches long and at least 2 inches wide. At this point I was ready to go and sleep in my car because that was too much for me. I immediately called the front office and was informed that this was just a 'palmetto bug' and they had come through the pipes and were inside because of the cold and if I just ran the water then no more should come inside. At this point it is close to 2 in the morning and I am too tired to do much else but comply.
After waking several hours later and shaking out everything to ensure no creatures are taken home we checked out.
I

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank vacationer08GA
Reviewed September 3, 2008

We were a bit worried about the negative reviews, but when we arrived, we were quite pleased. We had a two bed-room suite, and everything was clean -- no bugs. The furniture is dated and a bit worn, but nothing more than I would expect in an older motel. The beds were comfortable, the kitchen had adequate plates and cups (didn't match, but who cares?), and the living room was large enough for our family of five (four adults and one active four-year-old).

I don't know what a few folks were looking for or what happened, but we enjoyed our stay and would willingly return.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed August 19, 2008

I grew up vacationing at this hotel when it was a family owned mom and pop hotel and brought my family this month. I LOVE this place!! The hotel has received a bit of a facelift over the years but it is still a bit outdated (like the pink 70's style tiling in the bathroom and the older cabinets in the kitchen). To all the naysayers about bugs, old smell, etc...yes there may be a roach or two crawling around this is the south of course and they are abundant but we never ever saw one in our room. It may smell a bit musty but it is in fact an older motel. You do not stay at this hotel expecting a $200 a night room. We had a two bedroom suite. Our room was comfortable, large, clean and smelled fine. The beds were pretty comfortable a bit on the firm side for me but some like it firm some like it not so firm...a hotel can't please everyone. It is true that the hotel is not on the beach. But if you don't mind walking less than 2 minutes across the street (literally) you'll be right there on a quiet, beautiful white sandy beach. The rooms may not have an ocean view but step right outside of your room, hang out at the pool (which was very clean and well maintained the whole week) and you see the ocean. If you want an oceanfront hotel stay someplace else. The breakfast bar was just fine. Juices, cereal, a nice assortment of mini muffins and danishes as well as hot waffles and for those who enjoy good ol' southern food there are biscuits and gravy. There was a staff person tending to the food supply the entire time. The management was friendly and our room was cleaned every single day. There are very few hotels that you can stay at for around $150/night and get two bedrooms a kitchen and a living room. You can buy groceries and cook out on the grill in the picnic area to save some money or you can eat out at a plethera of restaraunts on both Jekyll and St Simons. You can easily pay that for a plain old king sized room with a pull out sofa at most chain hotels. But if you're looking for a nice place for a family vacation and you can even bring your dog for only $10 extra a day (compared to $25 most other places) try out Jekyll Island Quality Inns and Suites.

Stayed: August 2008
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Best Western Plus St. Simons
Best Western Plus St. Simons
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Quality Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!