“It's ok”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jekyll Island
Jekyll Island Campground
Jasper Ga
“It's ok”
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

So here's the deal....I wanted a quick beach vacation before the yougins started back to school. As a child I had many fond memories of Ji never at the campground but just on the island so I thought what a great place to take my kids and show them a little history... We arrived around 11pm to find no creatures starring not even a mouse I quickly filled out the form in the night box and started towards thesite that they picked out for me this place is dark at night and while I am a heck of a fifth wheel xamper pilot I had to enlist the help of my less experienced co-pilot/wife to help me swing my 30'slice of heaven into the black hole they called my camp site.after a few pull ups I got it in set up camp and went to bed the next day check in was a breeze and painless so about thecampground its self....disappointed just dirt and dust no gravel or paved surface anywhere it rained one day and you can imagine the mess that made so don't get me wrong I will go back all though not for long periods not much going on here to do other than the beach but then again isn't that the point... so go for a rustic visit to Georgias historical past just don't expect the usual modern conveniences of other campgrounds

• Stayed July 2013
6 Thank Brandon D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Oklahoma
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

If you have never been to Jekyll Island- go! And stay at the campground if you're able to. We stayed in full RV hook ups; it is a very quiet and pretty campground. The oaks throughout the campground are just amazingly beautiful. Great place for the kids to ride bikes or walk around exploring. They even have a little bird sanctuary where you can sit and enjoy the birds and butterflies. Staff are great upon check-in.

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank moocompu
Melrose, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2013

This was our first trip to this area. We were in our motorhome and stayed at Jekyll Island Campground. I would highly recommend this area and park. Our site was D5 and it was quite spacious for our 40ft RV. Staff very friendly and helpful. Initially, I was concerned about camping in July due to the heat and mosquitos but neither one was a problem. It was hot but the humidity was not as bad as our home in FL. Some bug spray was needed for the mosquitos but then we were good to sit outside. Nice breeze from the ocean. Did not use the campground bathrooms so could not comment on this area. Great area for bike riding. Our 5 yr old grand-daughter was with us and plenty of things to do with her. A very interesting historic area. Beautiful area to explore. Not overly commercialized. We camped over the 4th of July and enjoyed the fire works show.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank bOOmer649
Cleveland, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This campground has a MAJOR issue with mosquitoes, especially concentrated in the tent camping sites. We had 4 citronella candles, a campfire and 2 different types on bug repellent and still spent most of time we were there hiding from the mosquitos in the tent, the guest room at the bath house or the car. I confronted the staff about this and asked if the primitive sites had been built ON the marsh and was told "well, it's next to a marsh" The manager also told me that
The County sprays." The RV sites and the bath houses were fine(some bugs, but no more than can be expected in the woods),but they have no right renting out the primitive camping sites as they are unusable for any humans. We packed up first thing in the morning and left. I don't recommend this place to ANYONE, as my entire family is still suffering from an amazing amount of bites 2 days later.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
9 Thank Melissa D
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Had a great stay in the campground. Close to everything I wanted to visit. Had a nice primitive tent camping site, not on top of other sites like some campgrounds I've been to. Very clean and convenient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicole H
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Reviewed June 4, 2013

We decided to head out for the long weekend at pretty much the last minute. I called the campground and made a reservation for three days which was the minimum requirement for the holiday weekend. There were no primitive tent campsites left so I opted to upgrade to a site with water and electricity. Since this was my second or third time camping EVER, I didn't realize how much these comforts would improve our experience. You see we bought a new air mattress on the way down since, in our haste, we left ours at home. Like ours, we ASSumed it too took D batteries to inflate - WRONG!. We needed an electrical outlet for this model. WHEW! Also, we drive a Chevy Volt so again, SCORE! We kept our car charged up which saved on our fuel expense while we tooled around the island. Ah, sweet serendipity!

We arrived much later than we'd expected which was around midnight. I'd called the front desk to let them know we were stuck in traffic and they assured us that even though the office would be closed there would be someone to greet us and get us to our site as late as 1:00 a.m. There was indeed a lovely lady there when we arrived and she promptly escorted us to our campsite. We quickly settled in as the hour was late and the campground rules call for quiet after 10:00 p.m. When we awoke we opened our eyes to a beautiful tree canopy and realized we were situated next to a lovely bird sanctuary. The restrooms were clean and well maintained and even though this is a "pet-friendly" park the only "evidence" of this were the dogs themselves. :) The other campers were courteous and respectful and their pets were well behaved and well-socialized.

The island is teeming with wildlife and there are plenty of photo opportunities. Driftwood Beach had some interesting post-Apocalyptic looking driftwood trees and we had fun watching the crabs in the many tide pools we encountered. This was the first time I had ever seen horses walking along the beach too which was pretty romantic.

If I had to make a suggestion it would be that they put in a swimming pool as another viewer also suggested. We were not a fan of the beach on Jekyll Island for swimming as the water was silty and brackish so we chose to drive the one and a half hours to Tybee Island for our fun in the water.

All-in-all we had a great last-minute camping vacay and will definitely return someday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kcisme
Gainesville, Georgia, United States
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Clean, nice and shady. Across the street from a great park and fishing pier. Just need a pool !! The campground is in close proximity to the jekyll island historic district and jekyll island club. Great bike trails and beach. Very close to driftwood beach .

• Stayed May 2013