“An Absolutely Fabulous and Beautiful Wedding”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Reviewed December 29, 2010

My husband and I exchanged our vows at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel in Faith Chapel on December 20, 2010 in front of a group of about 80 family and friends. To give an accurate account of all of the work and planning that the staff executed to make our day the most enjoyable day of our new lives together, I'll describe the experience in a fragmented manner and provide ratings from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest score. The hotel gets a 4.5 overall score. The staff was/are amazing.

Pre-Planning Score: 4.5
I did not hire a wedding planner and handled most of the planning details in conjunction with my mom and godmother. The reason that the hotel gets a pre-planning score of 4.5 and not 5 is because while they did a fabulous job with their end of the planning, I served as my own chief planner. This is not a swipe at the planning staff, however, as I chose to do my own planning independantly and that is no reflection on the hotel or the staff- at all. We booked all vendors with the exception of the catering a la carte, including the jazz band, florist, photographer, and my uncle who is a miniser served as our officiant. Cricket Elrod, as the on site logistics manager, worked tirelessly to answer our questions, resolve outstanding details, and she actually gets a score of 5 for her response time to inquiries throughout the process and for incorporating last minute details and requests in a quick and flawless professional manner. Any questions that we had about the reception set-up, providing information during our tasting procedures (which was very, very nicely done, set-up and scheduling- DO NOT NEGLECT TO DO THIS B/C IT IS AN AWESOME EXPERIENCE), accounting updates, etc. were handled with the highest level of professionalism. Beth spearheaded reservations and she was great as well in communicating contractual obligations and tracking them as they were met. Jessica was also awesome as Cricket's right hand.

Catering:4
Miss Nancy and Jessica were great before and after the reception. They went over the details with me the day before the reception to make sure that everything was in place. They discussed the arrangements of the tables, the ambiance of the room, and they even threw in a few unexpected details to create the right atmosphere with lighting and candles....and I had a Sunday afternoon wedding. Absolutely Fabulous. We ended up needing new place cards because the cards that my mom made were no longer applicable with last minute changes. All I had to do was ask and Jessica made it happen - the day before. Miss Nancy is a sacred institution and should be cloned. The air of experience is all around her.:) The banquet manager was very accomodating and he was constantly checking with me to ensure that everything was being done to standard and helped with the logistics for cutting the cake (who knew that there is an actual hand-placement that goes with cutting the cake?);). Also, I had an uninvited guest take a seat at my reception and the banquet manager made sure to speak with my mom to get an assessment of the situation and how to handle it instead of simply putting a plate down for someone who was not on the guest list and charging me. This act has earned him my highest regards and an outstanding score of 5 for professionalism, ethics, and integrity. The reason that catering gets a 4 is because the banquet staff, while nice, didn't seem to have everyone served in a timely manner. We had a table of close family friends who were without food for about 15 minutes before the staff was prompted and to correct the error. Also, we requested lemonade as an additional drink option and many of the guests were not informed until we were well into the reception that lemonade was a drink option. It was also possible that because 1 or 2 of the servers did not speak English very well, there might have been miscommunications. However, both errors were corrected with a small degree of prompting and the reception overall ran smoothly. I received all of my heirloom items back (cake knife, server, champagne flutes) clean and intact. Cleaning is done by the staff so we didn't have to worry about that and the Banquet Manager had my gifts and heirlooms sent to my room and they were there when the Groom and I retired for the day. Neither the lemonade, nor the hiccup on the food should reflect poorly on the overall great job done by the people in charge.

Accomodations: 4
We received well-appointed and regal accomodations. I was in a Deluxe King Suite in the San Souci building on the 3rd floor with a magnificent view, hard wood floors, a fireplace, and a nice bathroom. The wardrobe was okay as a closet, but more investments could be made on this end. I didn't mind the stairs because a bellman helped to bring everything up and take everything down to the car. However, do not try to have a batchellorette party here because the other guests will hate you for it and security will be called to tone you down. Lol The maid staff was nice and helpful.

Faith Chapel: 5
Faith Chapel was beautifully decorated for the holidays, with bows on the pews, candles in the windows, and a Christmas tree. All we had to do is pay the fee to rent the chapel. It's so gorgeous, nothing else was needed. All of my guests talked about how beautiful the Chapel was. Also, a special thanks to Clint (the manager of the Chapel) for accomodating us on the additional time needed for pictures after the ceremony and for handling the associated accounting logistics through the hotel. He was also golden on responsiveness and taking care of personal details associated with our particular ceremony in conjunction with Cricket. Great teamwork!

Hotel Grounds and Wow Factor: 5
The grounds are immaculate, and particularly for a Christmas wedding, you will feel like my hair stylist who said, "What kind of fairy land have I stepped into? This is beaaauuuutifullll." This place is absolutely dreamy during the holidays- blue lights and all! For the rehearsal dinner, we were in the federal reserve room and you could see the christmas decorations on the hotel verenda through the many windows and there was a beautifully decorated Christmas tree in the room. The food was excellent (the catering manager came up with it as relayed by my in-laws). My husbnad's family was in charge of the rehearsal dinner and they had nothing but praise for the staff (Cricket, catering, etc.) and the actual dinner was above and beyond our expectations for decor, accomodations, food, the relatively close location of the bar, and just overall atmosphere. The glow of the lights in a cozy room overlooking a beautifully decorated verenda, eating great food with friends and familly. Priceless.

Would I have my wedding here again if given the choice? That is an emphatic Yes!!! I would not have my wedding at any other place, especially in my home state of Georgia. This was a fantasy and dream come true. Would I do anything differently? Yes, if I had had the money to spare, I would hire a Chief Planner to manage all of pre-planning logistics. The only reason that I was able to do it is because I have flexible and sound employment and it made sense for me. If you have a stressful job and a rigid schedule, you will definately have trouble pulling this off.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TRAVELLINGRICHARDS
Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed December 28, 2010

Beautiful grounds, impeccable service, steeped in history and detail, bridal suite was unparalleled.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2010

We celebrated our first anniversary with an "off-season" visit to Jekyll Island---a perfect time of the year to visit the area. No crowds, no humidity.

We found a complimentary bottle of champagne, paired with a plate of lusciously sweet strawberries, left on the table in our upgraded room. The spacious room had a glassed-in porch overlooking front lawn area. The bed was very comfortable.

We ate dinner and breakfast in the elegant dining room. The wait staff was wonderful. Very informative and service was attentive. The food was absolutely delicious. We dined on shrimp and grits, a lentil-stuffed pepper delight, filet mignon done to perfection, eggs benedict, and knock-your-socks-off deserts. Our waitress even slipped us a sample of the special coffee served in the hotel that we enjoyed after we returned home.

We spent hours just walking aimless around the property peeking inside the windows of all the Victorian-style houses on the premises. We rented bicycles one day (conveniently located at the front of the hotel) and pedaled away. The weather was sunny and cool which made our tour so pleasurable. We found Driftwood Beach to be enchanting and had the whole beach to ourselves.

A very relaxing and quiet stay surrounded by tons of history. We can't wait to go back and soak up more of the ambiance!

Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TallahasseeBillJudy
Reviewed December 1, 2010

My husband and I try to plan at least 1-2 vacation/weekend getaways to Jekyll Island Club Hotel a year. The hotel and surrounding historic district is a beautiful place. The food is fabulous. The Courtyard at Crane Cottage is our favorite place for a late lunch. I enjoyed the turtle museum and my husband always enjoys the golf.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 60898Karen
Reviewed November 30, 2010

A well kept secret of the south. This unique jewell has the charm of any ot the finest resorts of europe. Overflowing with amenities, ambience and 5 star service. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I felt like a Rockefeller when I stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. Our group, myself, husband, Sister & brother inlaw were all wowed buy our two night stay here. Interesting history, was developed as a private playground for the wealthy elite of the time with a main hotel and additional mini-mansions surrounding, all of which you can stay in. Reminded me a little of Newport RI, same era but a more relaxed architecture & better climate. Since we took advantage of an off season bargain special we were assigned two of the smaller rooms of the top floor of the main hotel, a little snug but very comfortable, good bed, immaculate condtion and a great view of the pool, intra-coastal and sunset. The grounds are great for walking and the hotel offers access & beach pavillion about 1/2 mile away. We dined at the main hotel for breakfast & lunch and thought they were great values for what was offered, my husband thought the shrimp & grits special offered at lunch was on of the best he had sampled on our Southern tour, (the other being Poogan's Porch in Charleston). We also dined at the Courtyard restaurant in an adjacent mansion. We went for the early bird special menu and all were pleased with our selections. Pool was great & the pool bar was better with a friendly bartender who mixed a good drink. All the staff were gracious and accommodating. I highly recommend the Jekyll Island Club Hotel and hope to make it back again myself.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mallybos
Reviewed November 29, 2010

Jekyll Island, especially the Jekyll Island Club Hotel, continues to be our favorite getaway spot for all occasions. Since 2006 we have stayed at the Club three or four times a year, including our honeymoon. We especially enjoy the seclusion and opportunity to enjoy the natural settings which surround the Club. It continues to be as enjoyable as it was on our first visit and we have recommended the Club to others many times.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Ocean Club, a Jekyll Island Club Resort

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!