“Very enjoyable experience”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Millis, MA.
“Very enjoyable experience”
Reviewed June 5, 2006

My son graduated Savannah College of Art & Design on 6/3/06, so my wife and I wanted to reward ourselves by taking a vacation the preceding week. We both like the beach and enjoy playing golf. I had heard of Jekyll Island and after doing some research on the internet we decided to stay at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel for 4 nights. This was the ideal place for us. The hotel was wonderful. Our room was clean and spacious. The king bed was very comfortable and the shower was great. We ate at Cafe Solterra, the Courtyard at Crane Cottage and the Grand Dining Room. It was all very good. We also had cocktails at the Pool Bar, Lobby Bar and Vincent's Pub. We especially liked the Swimming Pool. The grounds were manicured, the ancient live oak trees were draped with moss, the flowers were in bloom and it was sunny each day. Combined with the restoration of the Historic District, this is the only place I would stay on the island. As far as the rest of the island is concerned, we enjoyed each of the 4 golf courses (no crowds-played in 3 to 3 1/2 hrs.) and biked around the whole island. At low tide the sand is so firm we even took the bikes on the beach. Driftwood beach was bizarre. Two restaurants that we enjoyed on the island were Blackbeard's and Latitude 31. All in all, I'd very much like to return. It is a great place to spend 3 or 4 nights at a time.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank Kevin R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Reviewed June 1, 2006

I thought long and hard before writing this review and decided that if I had read a review like this before asking my parents to pay for my wedding, I would have paid closer attention. My wedding at the Crane Cottage at the Jekyll Club was everything I dreamed it would be. It was absolutely beautiful, romantic, and exceptionally coordinated. I would like to commend Attila Dirner, the Crane Cottage Coordinator and Judit Bracewell, our caterer, on their wonderful attitudes and service the whole weekend. They made everything seamless and my parents and I appreciate their efforts so much. On the other hand, their managers' decision to open up Crane Cottage and the Crane Courtyard to the public after we had paid them an obscene amount of money for the privacy of renting the entire cottage for the weekend was detrimental. I was extremely disappointed and upset to find people dining in the cottage while staring and talking about our private familly photos we had displayed for our guests. It turns out that since we were short just by a couple of rooms (my aunt was ill and could not make it), and there is some clause in the contract which states that if we do not have a certain number of rooms paid for, they can do that. We spent thousands of dollars with these people...this place is not cheap. All 13 rooms in the cottage were paid for PLUS the rental fee for the Crane Cottage was over $2000 per night for two nights PLUS we had several guests staying in The Club Hotel. I understand it was a business decision, but it could have gone either way and their decision was based on pure greed. It put a bad taste in my mouth. Just beware if you are planning on spending the kind of money that my parents did to have a private and intimate wedding weekend: You had better make sure that you read the contract carefully because apparently making a few extra dollars on food is more important than satisfying people that are already lining their pockets. I was surprised at their actions to say the least.

46 Thank Equestrian
Madison, GA
Reviewed June 1, 2006

From the moment that they took our luggage out of the car to when they put it back in, we were treated as if we were members of the Jekyll Island Club.

Our room was recently renovated, very comfortable and looked out over the Marshes of Glynn - gorgeous sunsets.

Dinner in the Grand Dining Room was well prepared and presented. It was served by conscientious, professional staff who were attentive, without being intrusive.

The building and grounds are well-kept and very pleasant. There are several restaurants, cafes and bars. Concierge service was very helpful.

For the two nights we were there, our visit was exceptionally good.

Stayed February 2006
6 Thank irablock
Hartford, CT
Reviewed May 2, 2006

Wonderful historical hotel. Called on the spur of the moment and got a great spring rate. Only had time for a short stay but can't wait to go back and have time to explore all the buildings and walk the grounds. Room was very comfortable and had a lot of charm. Staff very helpful. Food at Cafe Solterra was delicious (and very affordable). Recommend Crab Bisque soup if on menu.

13 Thank emwin
Charleston
Reviewed April 28, 2006

We absoltuely loved it! We live in the south and wanted a quick and close get-away, and this was recommended by friends. We had wanted to stay on the beach, and this resort isn't on the beach, but we tried it anyway as we got such a great deal on their spring sales, which they post on their website.

It's a quiet piece of heaven--a real retreat from everyday life. So peaceful and quiet. The staff was wonderful, the rooms were so quaint and marvelous. They are mostly broken up old houses, so they are all different and very charming. You won't have all the of the "usual" stuff from a hotel room, and you may hear others on your hall, but we still felt it was private and would definitely return. The food was good, but pricey--I wish we had gotten the meal plan. It would have been a good value. Not a lot to do at the resort, so we had planned to do some sightseeing, but ended up spending most of our time at the resort--it was so relaxing!

Stayed May 2005
5 Thank mdhgCharleston
Waxhaw, North Carolina
Reviewed April 16, 2006

This whole island is a nature preserve and is amazing. It is very quiet and we thought is was only going to be seniors but there were famalies with kids there. It is really laid back and if you like biking you will never believe the biking trails they have which basically covers the entire island, which is about 7 miles long. The hotel is a classic and has updates so don't worry about that, you just have to know what to expect. A couple of days here is enough as it is quiet, but you can easily think you are back in the 1800's. it is truely amazing. It will cost you $3 to get on the island. There are a couple of restaurants . mainly resorts . We had perfect 70 degree weather for outside activities, plus dolphin watching boat trips, but if it rains bring a good book.

Stayed April 2006
11 Thank Kathyvd
georgia
Reviewed April 6, 2006

Recently, needed to get away from my hectic life as an Innkeeper and made a quick escape to Jekyll Island. They worked me in as they were very busy, Lisa the manager was wonderful. What a relaxing several days. Beautiful surroundings, stayed in the Sans Sousi building gorgeous view. The bellman were quick and very courteous, the room service was not a minute late and charming, the restauarant, Cranes Cottage was lovely. Family friendly also. Large dining room was wonderful for breakfast, very reasonable for a huge selection. Everyone needs to see and appreciate the wonderful history of the place, take the tram ride, very reasonable, and great tour. I picked up a wonderful book on the history of Jekyll and read it for two days. The main hotel is old, obviously, but so quaint. The gardeners are busy every day working and planting, the painters are painting. It is wonderful to see the care that is obviously being given. Only one draw back, it is so busy and I won't be able to get back for months as they are booked so much of the time. Go and enjoy!

7 Thank Grits2
Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!