“Step Back In time”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Clearwater, Florida
“Step Back In time”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Jekyll Island Club Hotel is a gem from a different era. The grounds are beautiful and the calm is wonderful. You can walk the property on paved walk ways or rent a bike and explore the island with miles of trails. Visit the beach or happen across historical ruins. And after relax with a glass of wine on the veranda in comfortable rocking chairs. Our room was lovely and updated. All the modern conveniences of home. Our dining experiences where fabulous. Lunch and Dinner at Crane Cottage was superb and we can't forget the breakfast buffet in the Grand Dining Room, not a bad meal. Lastly the staff could not have been nicer. What ever your whim they are on it. We will definitely be back! Loved Jekyll Island Club!

Room Tip: Ask for West facing rooms in the main hotel or if possible stay in the Crane Cottage or The Cherokee...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Sumter, South Carolina
Reviewed December 30, 2013

If you keep in mind this hotel's purpose is to recall late 19th and early 20th Century comfort and that era's experience, you'll enjoy this place very much. We went there with our eyes wide open and thoroughly enjoyed it. They offer a range of accommodations from a double-bed room to suites, and a broad range of prices. Once you consider the amazing, 19th Century buildings, sprawling grounds, cost of upkeep and the large staff, its easy to understand the room prices. After a disappointing arrival experience (the desk attendant was just plain rude), we had a great time from then onward. We did go back to the desk twice later on and found the other staff to be pleasant and helpful. Our room was small, clean and well equipped. The bathroom was small but modernized, fully equipped and had a great shower. Wonderful towels. The bed was comfortable. Even though the hotel seemed to be full, it wasn't noisy. There are three eating places: two are nostalgic and expensive, the third is a coffee and sandwich shop. The hotel will provide guests a free van ride to other locations on the island. Very nice! We would like to return someday.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 2301-05 as they are right above the kitchen exhaust stacks so you're treated to a so...
1 Thank Robertmsnz
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed December 29, 2013

In my work life my job took me to many beautiful hotels like this. Most of them new, but not all of them. Now that I am retired and not on an expense account any longer, hotels like this are more of a once in a while luxury for us. Someone asked me what the Jekyll Island Club was like. The closest hotel I could think of that reminds me here is the Del Coronado in San Diego. They are very different, but the architectural style is similar (although the Del has a Spanish influence) but this hotel is much more quiet. The Del is on the ocean and this hotel is not, but the ocean is not very far away. The Del is in a neighborhood setting, but this is not, and the acres of land surrounding this hotel are spectacular. I mean TRULY spectacular!
We have three daughters and when they were young I don't think they would have liked it much on this "out of the way" small island. Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Disney World, etc. all would have had many more child friendly things to do. But now that our girls are older and are working and have children of their own, this would be a wonderful place for them to come to, without children or pets (we can do the babysitting and the pet sitting for them) to recharge their batteries. Life moves so fast and is so demanding. Anyone who wants to get off the track and take a break, just fort a while, would love it here. If you need the stimulation of Manhattan, the Loop in Chicago or anywhere in San Francisco to be happy, this is not a good place for you. Those all are wonderful places, but if you are looking for somewhere just to relax, it doesn't get any better than this.
As I mentioned, Jekyll Island is not for everyone. It is very quiet here and things move slowly. The beaches are not usually crowded and walking and bike riding (there is a beautiful golf course here and I am sure there are tennis courts also) and enjoying nature and the outdoors is at the top of the list here. Food at the hotel is excellent, especially in the Grand Dining Room, but the Courtyard at Crane and the other restaurants associated with the JIC are excellent also. There us a wonderful little restaurant in Brunswick (Indigo Coastal Shanty - just about 10 miles away) and some great places to eat on Saint Simons Island also. Several years ago I attended a business meeting at the Cloister in Sea Island, which is another beautiful resort, with my wife. She went on a tour that brought her to Jekyll Island and she told me about it. I wish I had visited sooner because there is not doubt that my preference is The Jekyll Island Club now. The short drive out the causeway from the mainland brings you to another world. Just pick out a rocking chair and enjoy "the slow and quiet!"

Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Just came back from spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at the Jeckyll Island Club. We have stayed there several times and have always liked the ambiance. We were staying in San Souci which was fine. However, the room needed to be redone - paint was missing around the firplace and the bathroom needs updating - there is no place to put your stuff - we had to move a table from the room into the bathroom in order to avoid putting our toletries on the floor. Towels were big and fluffy and there were plenty of them.The mattress is soft and not very comfortable. We got the Christmas package which included a Christmas stocking (we have done this several times before). The stocking left alot to be desired - candy was stale, fruit was off and I don't consider Lantz peanut butter crackers exactly gourmet(or Christmasy for that matter). It was not worth the extra money. The meals were excellent and the service was quite good especially in the main dining room. The bar is very small and it was hard to find a place to sit. Christmas Eve bartender was excellent and went out of his way to make sure we were happy. Christmas day bartender went through the motions and seemed annoyed when I brought back my drink as way too sweet. All in all, it was fun but there are things which could be improved for next year.

Room Tip: San Souci has quieter rooms as does Crane Cottage
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

My family and I have traveled all over and have never been to a hotel with a real wood burning fireplace in the suite. Every evening we would call down to have the fire built by the staff (as you can't do it yourself), and it burned for hours upon hours. We were there during the winter months so it was perfect for the chilly nights.

The grand dining room was a bit fussy in the evenings with men needing to wear jackets and women in cocktail attire. I understand the need for this as it keeps out the riff-raff (so to speak) but it also seems a bit stuffy. So we skipped dinner at the restaurant and opted for room service by the fire (mentioned above).

The crochet lawn was so much fun. It's the official crochet game and not the one we all learn as kids in the backyard. It's challenging and fun.

We rented bikes, enjoyed scotch by the fire in the main lobby and even went horseback riding at the stables at the far end of the property. The also have carriage rides (private or with a large group) each evening.

I couldn't be more happy with our 3 night stay. It really was a relaxing Victorian weekend.

I really wish they would do a special Dowtown Abbey weekend something. I saw they do ghost hunter weekends so maybe during the off-season in jan-March they could do something with afternoon tea, costumes and watching the show too. Just an idea. Seems like their target audience and this is coming from a 28yr old.

Great hotel.

The rooms in the main house are really dated. Avoid those if you want luxury! You get what you pay for, FYI!

Stayed December 2013
Georgia
Reviewed December 22, 2013

My family spent the weekend at the Jekyll Island Club. This has become a Christmas tradition for my husband and I. The club always arranges for the Christmas Bagpiper to play on the grounds of the hotel the entire week of Christmas starting at 4 pm. He plays for 45 min to an hour and it is amazing! We make sure to slip in a couple of nights during this week so we don't miss the piper. Everyone gathers on the porch and has cocktails while listening to this unique instrument. The piper is very talented and even plays the piano for the club in the grand dining room and in the lobby bar. I have to also brag on the Christmas decorations! This place is always beautiful, but at Christmas it is over the top! Big thumbs up to Jose and Mike who always take good care of my husband and I and all of our kids. I always hate to leave this place but it was terribly hard this trip because the grounds and hotel were just beautiful!

Room Tip: All you have to do to get a top notch room is speak to Katha or Kendra in reservations. Really the...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Florida
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We spent two nights staying here and really liked it. We stayed in a traditional king room that was located in the Sans Souci buliding. Large room with an equally large bathroom. Nice table with shutters if you need to spread out. The fireplace was very nice, but you have to pay to use it; which is kind of silly and the only negative we would give the room. Also had a balcony that would be shared with your neighbor. The grounds were well kept and everything was decorated for Christmas. Lots of neat history and great walking areas to tour. Staff was very helpful and courteous. Some may think the price was high, we paid $234+tax+resort fee, however we felt it was about right. As mentioned, the room was large and the surroundings were impressive.

If you are into a low keyed location, this is perfect. Jekyll Island is a little remote, so the dining options are somewhat limited, but the scenery and history is great.

Room Tip: Keep in mind these are restored buildings and some show the wear more than others. Therefore a comp...
3 Thank AmosMerritt
Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!