“Quirky and fun”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Reviewed February 26, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is steeped in history, is a real pleasure to explore and the grounds are beautifully kept. We stayed for two nights and I 'did' the museum while my husband played golf, we cycled around the island (the hotel provides bikes for hire), we walked and we sat on the balconies in the sun.
On the downside our room was decidedly dated and tatty, although clean. The paint was chipped, the wallpaper and carpet appeared to be vintage 1980's and there was a large, repaired lump out of the bath. The room was above the balcony where the cafe is located and noise of chatting carried upwards. However, there is a flat screen, excellent wi-fi and we were in the cheapest rooms on a special deal so I can't really complain.
Don't rely on being able to eat at the Courtyard at Crane - it is often booked for weddings/functions at the weekends.
I found the guys who park cars, provide the bikes, etc a little creepy but that is a personal thing. All the other staff were delightful.
Altogether I would thoroughly recommend a trip here - it is a truly atmospheric experience.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DoingMyBucketList

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I cannot tell you how beautiful this place is. It sits on the harbor under large oak trees nestled among old homes and a beautiful old chapel. It feels like you have stepped back in time ~ the property is stunning, the dining room is magnificant and the surrounding cottages are perfection. I loved everything about this place. We rented bikes and took the bike path around the island - I think it is about 7 miles total. The cabana by the pool makes hamburgers and hotdogs and there is an additonal little bakery sandwich shop in the hotel when you don't feel like dressing for dinner. The service at this hotel is superior. I just wanted to sit on the wrap around porch and drink mint julieps all day.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A hotel stay like no other. This hotel understands HOSPITALITY. The grounds are amazing. Bike/foot paths that seem to go on forever. A big HIGH 5 to Attila. He showed me customer service like I have rarely seen before. I stopped in to see the Crane Cottage menu, as I was thinking of having dinner there. Long story, short, he booked me one fine table in front of the fireplace for that evening. When I asked about renting a bike for the next couple of hours, he did not hesitate to get on the phone and have a bike delivered to me in less than 10 minutes! Another staff member brought the bike over on a golf cart! Attila was sure to grab a couple of bottles of water for my bike ride! He also mentioned that he would be around when I was having dinner, and he would be happy to show me a couple of suites located in the Crane building! So, after one fine meal, he was waiting for me, and showed me around the property! I have not been this impressed in a long time. My room, with king bed, was located in the "annex" of the main building. Very nice room with large, private enclosed patio, with view of the grounds. The staff at valet and front desk were also very helpful and pleasant. I have not stopped talking about my stay!

Room Tip: I simply cannot imagine a bad room at this hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ManOnTheMove
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We had a room with a living room, and 2 fireplaces. It was a cold weekend and the fireplaces were super, the sounds helped induce sleep, the beds were cushy. Negatives, the Internet was iffy at best, wireless, the TV in the living room didn't work. The "romantic picnic" was less romantic and more high school "cheap". Turtle farm was fun, but very warm.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace.
Reviewed February 23, 2013

The hotel and the island are so unique and truly beautiful. So glad that a friend sent us there. We stayed in very nice new addition, but I'd love to know about the old wing rooms and those in other mansions nearby, all part of hotel.

The turtle farm is well worth stop and shops near the club are fun and reasonable.

Room Tip: Investigate room options ahead.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The Jekyll Island Club Hotel is a charming turn of the century hotel in a beautiful setting. High ceilings, hardwood floors, pianos and armchairs throughout. Catch the morning sun or sunset on rockers on the wraparound verandahs. The main dining room is not to be missed. Service is impeccable. Breakfast is more than reasonable, and dinner, although a little upscale, is not unreasonable. Did I mention the service was impeccable? Rates are very reasonable.

The island itself is idyllic with waterscape all about. There is a wonderful driftwood beach on the north side, and families shrimp on the south end. There is a sea turtle centre which we will be visiting tomorrow.

The only negative aspect was that we were assigned a room with no view. Otherwise, it was great.

Room Tip: 2217 has no view to speak of. It is a handicap room.
Reviewed February 21, 2013

It's a visit to times past and so enjoyable to stay at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. The gentleman at the registration desk ( I think his name was William), was very kind and helpful and even called my cell phone to let me know my room was ready. The grounds are beautiful and immaculately well kept. The rooms have that old timey charm and it's fun to imagine yourself living a hundred years ago, being extremely wealthy, and spending the winter at the club. Last time I stayed in the San Souci building and this time I was in the main inn. Next time, I would like to stay in the Cherokee cottage.
If you require constant entertainment and lots of action, don't stay here. But if you are like me and enjoy nature, walking, relaxing on the sun porch with a good book, then this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Check out all the room choices, you may decide you like one cottage better than another, or you may...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#5 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Ocean Club, a Jekyll Island Club Resort

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!