“History and charm” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Pawleys Island
“History and charm”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We recently celebrated our 45th anniversary here and staying where some of the pioneers of our country visited made for a real trip down memory lane. The Club is beautiful with many porches, a turret in which we "took tea" in a portion of The Grand Dining Room. The tea was perfect and we were delighted to meet a man whose grandfather's picture was hanging in one of the cottages nearby and was one of the founding fathers. What a wonderful beginning to our adventure. The Cafe Solterra is a quaint little shop with delicious pastries and a perfect reuben sandwich. The one disappointment was our anniversary dinner in The Grand Dining Room Saturday night. The salad and wine were perfect. The steaks were properly "done" but arrived cool. The coffee was just okay (cool) and the key lime pie was tasty. My creme brulee was sub par. There seemed to be glue and gunk under this lovely glaze which was a huge disappointment as it is one of my favorite desserts. The waiter was excellent and a charming young man. Our room had a beautiful view of the river and we sauntered around the grounds which were impeccably groomed and the entire "Club" area was superb. The staff were very attentive and the relaxing areas were cozy and warm. You could picture Rockefeller sitting by the fire and discussing the latest duck hunt with his fellow hunting acquaintances.

Room Tip: We had a third floor corner room overlooking the river, some beautiful grounds and the pool. I woul...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a wild party or to be entertained 24/7, this might not be the vacation that you have been waiting for...If you are looking to rest and relax this just might go down as your best vacation ever. I am not saying that there is not a ton to do there or that it is boring or even that there arent a plethra of things to do but this is more of a relaxed hotel located in a near perfect setting. Although you will be relazed and laid back, the hotel staff is busy making sure that you are taken care of in many different ways from the way that they prepare their fantastic breakfasts to how helpful they are to setting you up with things to do on excursions. One definite draw back is the distance from the hotel to the beach although they even find a way to make that enjoyable. One of the great things about the setting is where it is located on the water so that ships could be docked nearby. There is a lot of history of who used to make this is vacation spot that is fantastic to learn. To get to the beach, they have several vans that shuttle the hotel guest to and from the ocean. The shuttle drivers are as engaging as you would like them to be and have a lot of knowledge about the island. If reading a book by the pool is your cup of tea, you will enjoy the pool setting as it is near perfect for relaxing. The afternoon/evening breezes making walking under the old live oak trees with hanging spanish moss something near to perfect. The grounds are incredible making this an obvious spot for weddings and gatherings. We try to make it down to the hotel once a year to recharge and I am sure that you will enjoy as much as we have!

Stayed March 2012
2 Thank 029439
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Nearly two decades ago we stayed one night at this Club as our first adventure into Georgia, and then settled into Savannah as a new home. It is possible memory has failed, and while our memories are most pleasant of the first visit, this weekend seemed as though many improvements have been made and the Club now a true gem.

While we selected a special weekend package, the room prices seemed most reasonable for a four star hotel. It should be added we stayed in the older section, which is surely the best on the premises. The grounds were immaculate. Elevator landings living-room-like. The bars with couches and piano player. Staircases were wide and beautifully done with hand-turned wood balustrades.

The bedroom was large and most comfortable. Our view, as we had requested when making the reservation, was out through the pool and the river beyond and quite lovely.

But the highlight is the dining room. I would consider it the finest room I have seen including the Boca Club, the Cloisters, the Breakers, the White in West Virginia, the Hotel Monasterio and others.

The hostess Christy was a pro, even searching a response to an unanswered question overnight and remembering who the questioner was. The same waitress, lively Zoe, was assigned both nights and she followed up on many conversations as if we had become friends.

The food was excellent. Beef tenderloin one night was probably the best I have ever had. The award winning shrimp and grits was true to form, although I would have preferred a mushier grits. The sauce was perfect. Mrs. B. is asking me to mention that the dining room lighting is very flattering. She also wants me to add that the clothes closet in the room is tiny and would only fit a few hangers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Charles B
oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a hotel and a place I'd been wanting to visit for years and it exceeded my expectations. As a history buff and lover of old hotels, it was pretty much a given I'd enjoy my stay, but I was pleasantly surprised by the large size of the rooms and friendliness of the staff. The grounds were immaculate but it was raining off and on which prevented us from playing croquet on the front lawn or biking. We loved the Georgia Sea Turtle Rescue Center which is practically on the grounds. A short stroll brought us to a dock with a bar with outdoor seating (there was also a nice restaurant there.) We had the best time listening to music, sharing a delicious "low-country boil" and looking out across the marsh. We never tried the hotel restaurant but enjoyed ice cream from the snack bar late one night. Snacks, restrooms and shelter were also available at the hotel's special section of the beach. My favorite thing were the porches and comfy rocking chairs located all over the hotel. I sat in various ones for hours, relaxing and dreaming of days gone by.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Overall an average experience at best however any shortcomings are almost completely rectified by very very excellent staff! Food is ok although grand dining hall was awesome. Lots to see and read on the property for history buffs but really not much else. This is an older property which is ok but it really needs an update especially in the guestrooms department... For the cost it is fair but on vacation I have become accustomed to much much more. If not for wedding on site we would have not stayed here or really considered going. Staff was excellent that is the truth.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Jazer540
Tulsa, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Just returned from a fantastic long weekend at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. I booked this about 2 months ago for a birthday weekend for my mother. I took my 9 year old son as well. We arrived about 5 pm on a friday and were checked in quickly to room 4207-Sans Souci. Beautiful double double room with a large turret alcove and veranda. Bathroom was quite spacious with an abundance of towels. There was no storage area in the bathroom and that would have been nice, but we made do. The beds were a bit dated and felt like a hammock. My mother was unable to sleep on the last night due to the sagging bed. But we were all together and the atmosphere and ambiance almost made the awful night disappear-almost! We had no problems with noise except for a cat fight one night and that was just downright funny! The heat was difficult but we just turned it down while getting ready for bed and slept with it cold-very toasty covers. I should note that the hotel was almost completely booked with various organizations and a few weddings but I never felt like it was too crowded, or that the service was lacking.
The history at the Club is fantastic and I would definitely do the hotel tour next time we visit. We had breakfast in the grand dining room twice and the sunday buffet-all were outstanding and the service was wonderful. We also had dinner in the Grand Dining Room and that was super as well. The wait staff and very courteous and I felt exceptional in their service. We did have dinner at Crane Cottage one night and of course it was excellent as well.
We rented bikes - they had any kind of bike you needed including one for infants and toddlers to ride on the back as well as a type of tandem one for parents and a 5 or 6 year old to ride together if the child is unable to ride a 2 wheeler. Cheap too at $9 for a half day. This was such fun-and we had a lovely time riding around looking for 'island treasures'.
Next time I would definitely choose to stay in a king suite in Crane or Cherokee. They have weddings in these cottages every weekend so they may be full of wedding guests.
The historical village is located all around the club and it was so much fun walking and shopping and sightseeing.
What made the weekend even all the more fantastic was our room rate-$126./ night. !!!!!
Completely worth every penny. The dining costs were standard for a fine restaurant.
We have decided to make this an annual January trip! Highly recommend!
** I am 44 and my mother 68 and there were many 20 somethings at the hotel. However if you are looking for night life try Jax Beach. My 9 year old had the time of his life and cried on our flight home because he wanted to go back to 'Jekyll Island'.

Room Tip: Look at the floor maps online. All rooms, even though they may be labeled as the same type of room...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Freddy4
SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Older place that could use some freshening up. We visited jekyll Island for lunch and the hotel on the outside was in need of a little help. Didn't go inside so I can't answer that. Overall, the hotel was loaded with older folks from the 60's and up. Not much to do on the island itself for the younger crowd. Couples with small babies would be good for the backside of the island where the beach is in the summer time.

Room Tip: Good for elderly couples.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island
4.5 of 5 stars 690 reviews

Been to Jekyll Island Club Hotel? Share your experiences!