“Lovely Get Away”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Reviewed September 20, 2012

If you like history you will love Jekyll Island Hotel. Each stay has been a great experience, however if you plan to eat in the grand dinning room no shorts are allowed which we did not know, but they have a "tourist room" you can eat in which is right off the grand dinning room and it has a better view.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Kaspivey
There are newer reviews for Jekyll Island Club Resort

Reviewed September 20, 2012

When my wife and I were married 40 years ago we spent our honeymoon on Jekyll Island but, being poor as the proverbial church mice, we had to choose a hotel a little more downscale than the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. We did visit it and gawked at the pictures on the walls depicting life for the 1% of the early 1900s. The place just reeked of history and opulence.

A couple of weeks ago we splurged and spent two nights there celebrating our anniversary. My wife had booked a room in the Annex which, I gather wasn't built when the Vanderbilts, Carnegies and Morgans wintered there. Still, it was pretty old and our room had a fireplace, antique furniture and a little (unairconditioned) sitting room with a view of the croquet field. The hotel had thoughtfully provided us with a bottle of chilled champagne and fresh strawberries. Sweet!

There were a couple of oddities that naturally come with retrofitting a 100 year-old hotel room with the expected conveniences of the 21st century traveler. The bathroom was small without a working A/C vent so when the bathroom door was closed it got kind of hot and really steamed up when the shower was running. The air-handler for the room sat in the ceiling above the tub which was a good place for it because it leaked when it was running. The hotel was upfront about it not being handicapped accessible (there are handicapped rooms available just not in the main clubhouse). There are stairs everywhere. There is an elevator in the annex but you still have to use stairs to get into or out of the building.

The staff was great. They would take you anywhere you wanted to go on the island and had great recommendations for places to eat and things to do--and they were really friendly. One of the guys, Steve, drove us to the Hotel's beach pavilion one morning and back again later that afternoon. He shared his interesting life story with us along the way (he went to college at Belmont Abbey in NC). He worked at the hotel during summers during college and married his wife at the Faith Chapel on the hotel grounds. It was pretty obvious that he loved the hotel, and the island and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

We didn't bring proper clothes to eat in the grand dining room (which I should have remembered I needed when I was packing) but did enjoy an excellent meal at the Crane Cottage, a short sunset stroll from the hotel. There is another restaurant, Latitudes, on the hotel grounds which is closed on Mondays so we ate somewhere else. We had lunch at Latitude's dockside "Rah Bar" the next day where I had an oyster Po Boy and my wife had fish tacos while we enjoyed the breezes and the view. Speaking of food, the hotel has a little take-out place, the Cafe Solterra, which has a surprisingly wide selection of stuff to eat and drink and of course was my source for Starbucks coffee in the morning.

I would recommend the Jekyll Island Club Hotel to anyone who appreciates a sense of history because going there is a little like going back in time. The elegance of immaculately landscaped grounds with huge butterfly bushes covered with butterflies and hummingbirds and ancient live oaks draped with Spanish moss also conjures up a time when the robber barons ruled the world.

Room Tip: Be sure to check if they're offering packages for stays and dining. Even if you're not stayi...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Allarts1
Reviewed September 16, 2012

Jekyll Island Club Hotel is a step back into history. This beautiful old hotel has magnificent woodwork throughout the rooms and lobby. This former private club for the very wealthy still has plenty of wonderful sights and things to do. Tour the "cottages" of former club members and stroll the manicured grounds. There is a 54 hole golf course less than 2 miles away. The ocean is close by with many walking and biking trails as well. The breakfast buffet features eggs, bacon, sausage, yogurt, fresh fruit, several juices, cereals, home made pastries and muffins as well as special additions like blueberry waffles with raspberry sauce and stuffed crepes.
My room was cozy overlooking the pool and water with real wooden shutters at the windows. Staff helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: I think any room would be a good choice. I couldn't find any problems here!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed September 11, 2012

We celebrated our wedding anniversary here and they made us feel special...accomodating us with an upgrade and complimentary champagne. The staff was great! The atmosphere of the historic hotel was very nice. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Captivatedx2
Reviewed September 10, 2012

What a beautiful and charming property. The rooms are rather large and the heated, covered porches on a crisp morning are to die for. The dining room atmospher, food and service are wonderful and remind me of a simpler time. I absolutley loved the little array of shops. The staff were amazing as well. I wish I had more time to visit the little cafe/bakery on site. I will definitley be back again!

Room Tip: Water view!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I had the choice of Hampton Inn of the Jekyll island Club and opted for the club. I was happy with my choice as I stay in Hampton Inns often. This property is very old and historic so if you want modern style this isn't your place, but if you enjoy something with an old southern feel to it then you'll love this place.

The rooms are small and the furnishings are straight out of an antique store. There is Wi-Fi which was faster than most places I stay. I had dinner and lunch and both were done above average for hotel dinning. I suggest going down to Vincent's Bar for a drink (if you can find it) as this is one of the most interesting little bars I've ever been in.

You also get the "ghost" that are suppose to haunt the second floor and veranda. I stayed on the second floor which is where the ghost of the "Bellhop" roams around as the legend goes.

Room Tip: If you're afraid of Ghost do your research and book a room that's not haunted!...Really!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TheRealBillBrasky
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Jekyll Island Club is an uncrowded, unspoiled 19th Century treasure. It is reminiscent of Hotel del Coronado in San Diego and the Grand Island Hotel in Michigan. This hotel, on a gorgeous island, is a throwback to the grandeur, architecture and charm of another century. It is comprised of a great Victorian Hotel, vast grounds and turn-of-the century mansions ("cottages"). This Club was the winter/spring playground of America's wealthiest families who then summered and built their "cottages" in Newport, RI. It is perfect for biking or strolling along both the ocean and river. Many of the mansions are open for touring. This island is about 1 1/2 hours southeast of Savannah, GA. The Club food is excellent.

Room Tip: The eastern rooms with sun porches are charming.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#5 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Ocean Club, a Jekyll Island Club Resort

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!