“Beautiful historic property, Awesome staff, LOVED it!!!”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Deltona, Florida
“Beautiful historic property, Awesome staff, LOVED it!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I surprised my husband for our anniversary with a long weekend trip at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel. Both of us were pleasantly surprised with the beauty and attention to detail that was displayed on the 200 plus acre club. We stayed in San Souci which was built in 1896, our room (4102) had the original hardwood floors, original window panes and original stained glass and had tall ceilings which were accented with gorgeous multi layered crown molding. The King bed was very comfortable, the bathroom was huge, the front porch with rocking chairs was perfect for enjoying a late afternoon cup of coffee. It was summer so we couldn't take advantage of the huge fireplace that was in the room. We also had a nice walk in closet, in room safe and large table with chairs. Each day we were left 2 complimentary bottles of water and we did have an in room coffee pot. Since we were celebrating our anniversary they sent us a complimentary bottle of Jekyll Island Champaigne and strawberries which was a nice jesture, we also had evening turn down service with Jekyll Island logo's imprinted on chocolates. Each morning we had the breakfast buffet in the main dining room which was a nice way to start the day. They had eggs, bacon , sausage, fruits, grits, pasteries, juices, etc. You could also get cooked to order eggs, toast and pancakes. I had purchased the dining plan with dinner and I am so glad that I paid the extra money. Our dinner was absolutely wonderful; the service was fabulous, the food was delicious and the desserts were to die for. The clubs private beach pavillion is a nice place to spend the day. They have towels for the guests, chairs and umbrellas that you can rent, restrooms and food. Driftwood beach is a must see, plan on riding bikes through the miles of moss covered oak tree paths. Overall, we had a wonderful time with wonderful service and no complaints. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer! The hotel and the island is a definite must see and do vacation location.

Room Tip: San Souci - separate from club, quite, large rooms beautifully restored
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsMariaD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2011

I stayed here for a business conference and was quite impressed. The resort is laid-back and lacks much of the ostentatious elegance of many pricier and fancier resorts. However, the food in the dining room was consistently good, the service was excellent and the staff were attentive.

The hotel offered courtesy rides to/from the beach which was clean and unblemished and featured a Jekyll Island Club "pavilion" with restrooms and food available for purchase. St Simon's Island is a 20 minute drive away and features fantastic restaurants which we took advantage of.

My room was "smallish" but nice and located near a quaint courtyard. I look forward to returning when pleasure, not business, calls!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Eric10036
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel last weekend. I had booked the BOGO rate (buy one night, get one night free), which I couldn't believe that they offered since this hotel is rated 5-star. The service was medicore, the pool bar and staff were great. I tried speaking with the maintenance and hotel staff and the maids, but they seemed not to like their jobs or care to talk. Anyway, my wife and I stayed in a Jacuzzi Suite in the Crane Cottage. I must say the suite is very, very small with a king bed. The bathroom as a Jacuzzi/Shower Combo. I wouldn't really consider te Jacuzzi tub a true jacuzzi w/ the shower above. The room does need updatting. I also did not like the stairs leading up as I was stung by a wasp on the foot. At this point a staff member saw me and didn't say anything or try to help me while I was in pain. The grounds are kept very nice, the breakfast was decent and and reasonable. The only tip I have is look for the BOGO rate online if you haven't stayed or been here before. Also, I tried Haylards Restaurant in St. Simmons, it was recommended for Fine Dining, but was horribe service. Do not go there.

Room Tip: Make a Reservation on their website, look for BOGO rate
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jhw82
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

The hotel grounds are beautiful, and the room we had in the San Souci building had a lovely balcony view of the sunset every night. The rooms in the hotel proper can be smaller, but the overall experience was highly enjoyable. We were able to rent bikes one day, spend an afternoon by the pool, and pass another playing croquet.

Room Tip: The rooms in the San Souci building are large and have quiet balconies with sunset views on one side
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

This was the most relaxing vacation I have been on.
The hotel is beautiful. The staff is always smiling are ready to help.
We had a double/double room which had a sitting area with a sofa and 2 chairs that looked new. The beds where very comfortable and the pillows where wonderfully fluffy !
The grounds are so beautiful and clean. Pool was very clean and a cheese burger at the pool grill is a must!! Best in the world. Solterra cafe is yummy for a quick coffee or lunch. Breakfast in the grand dining room is a must also. Very Yummy!!

Room Tip: Best view would be a front room facing the warf and river area. Ask for a room with a porch.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2011

We stayed here over the 4th of July weekend for 2 nights on our way to Orlando and wished we could have stayed longer. My 11 and 9 year olds absolutely loved Jekyll Island, the hotel, the pool and grounds, learning croquet, biking around the island and "discovering" the fantastic Driftwood Beach and seeing dozens of dolphins on the fun dolphin tour. The hotel itself is a charming beauty that takes you back in time! The trip was an anniversary present for my wife (and kids), and we were pleasantly surprised by the complimentary champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in our room. Our room in the Annex was spacious, clean and most comfortable. We found the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. The restaurants were wonderful and reasonably priced for a resort (don't miss the Sunday brunch!). We loved that the historic district and the beaches were so accessible by foot or bike (we didn't use our car at all during our stay). The 20 mile bike path around the island was wonderful and mostly in the shade. We will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

This historic hotel/resort is a place that time forgot. You can easily imagine the regular visitors from the late 1800's playing croquet in all-whites on the front lawn which is still an amenity today. Our stay was in San Souci building built in 1896 with a very large bedroom, with working fireplace, bath and private back porch overlooking the manicured lawns. There is an old world ambience here amidst the historic buildings, beautiful serene surroundings all guarded by huge live oaks dripping with Spanish moss. They have bike rental, a swimming pool, and a designated hotel area on the beach (accessible by a short car ride or by bicycle). Or just relax on the grounds while reading a book borrowed from the library. The large dining room is beautiful and the breakfast buffet plentiful or choose one of the other smaller restaurants on the property. We were surprised to experience a fireworks display on our last night right over the lawn in front of our building. There are about 10 small gift shops on the property also. What a relaxing stay with tons of Southern charm.

Room Tip: I understand the rooms vary greatly from one building to another so keep that in mind.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
The Cloister at Sea Island
#1 of 1 in Sea Island

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!