“Post-deployment trip with My Husband”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Savannah, Georgia
“Post-deployment trip with My Husband”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

My husband and I took a mini trip upon his return from a 18 month deployment to Iraq. We stayed in Crane Cottage instead of the Main Lodge. My husband did not want have been "dressed" for dinner with the required jacket for men to dine in the main dining room so we ate at the restaurant Crane Cottage. It was fabulous and resonably priced. My husband still talks about his Ribeye being the best that he had. I had one of the wine flights they were offering, which was very nice.
Make sure you try one of Kenny's Lemon Drop Martini's at the bar in the Lodge. They are not to be missed!!
You can play tennis, ride bikes (bikes available), play croquette-proper attire required and provided, walk on the beach, explore shops, learn the history of the island as well as the Jekyll Island Club itself.
We live in Savannah and this is less than 2 hours from us. Even though we are close to home, I always able to relax and enjoy my time away from the stresses of daily life and work!!
My mom, aunt, and a friend stayed for a couple of nights in Crane Cottage several years ago during a horrible summer thunderstorm that cause a lightning strike that set the gym at Glynn Academy on fire and the power went out during our dinner at the Crane Cottage restaurant. We ate by candlelight and had a fabulous meal because the kitchen operates on gas stoves and such.
Also was there with my mother, my mother-in-law and her sister's for the day and we got to drinking Kenny's Lemon Drops and stayed for Dinner that night before driving back to Savannah!
If you are there on Sunday morning make sure to allow time for the Sunday Champagne Brunch!! Fabulous made to order omlets, champagne, sweet and savory items, salads, desserts, order off of the menu ffor selections like eggs benedict or turkey with dressing...depending on the time of year and days selections.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
ft rucker
Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel for two nights. We were on the island for a business convention and chose the Club Hotel for convenience to the event as well as its supposed historic charm. From first entrance onto the grounds it was a disappointment. Grounds maintenance is sloppily performed, shrubbery is not well trimmed. It is truly a real shame to see the timeless buildings kept up so cheaply and carelessly. As we moved on into the check-in process, the situation got worse. The clerk was very vague about the charges he was putting on our card and upon further inquiry informed us that "hotel policy" is to charge incidentals upfront (to include potential damages as well as all the items in the mini-fridge in the room) and any expenses not used would be returned to our card within 72 hours following our departure. I find this UTTERLY ridiculous! We told him that was unacceptable and he agreed to charge any extra expenses at check out. Problem solved...so we thought.
Moving on into the room, the bathroom had been poorly cleaned, there was hair on the sink counter-top as well as on the base of the commode. There had clearly been a leak at some point that has been repaired but no effort has been made to conceal the staining on the ceiling. For the cost of the Club Hotel, surely better care can be taken of the property.
When our bill arrived under our door an undisclosed resort fee of $10, per person, was included. These fees are just outrageous, perhaps it would have been more palatable if it had been mentioned when we made our reservations, but it was not. The hotel is clearly doing their best to rob customers of any additional penny they can attempt to justify. Furthermore, when we got home and checked our bank account, the front desk clerk had charged the incidental fee even though he assured us he would not. We have called to complain, the only response being that they have to run that fee to ensure the card is valid and the assurance that we will get our money back. However, this explanation does not add up because they charge your card for your first night's stay several weeks prior to your arrival--therefore, they CLEARLY already know the card is legitimate. That fact aside, assuming that explanation was valid, a much lower charge (like $1.00) would achieve the same purpose.
Dealing with this was a huge waste of time! The conference is held annually at Jekyll--in the future we will certainly be staying elsewhere. From our group we hear that the Hampton Inn is brand new and an excellent place to stay.
As far as the Club Hotel goes, the historic cottages and shops that surround the property are adorable and worth seeing, but not worth staying in the Club Hotel to see. Luckily, you can visit those without staying at the Club.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
10 Thank jh6881
Graniteville sc
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We loved this Hotel everyone was just wonderful.
The decor Food Beds and convience tio everything on the island wa swonderful

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
huntersville
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My friend got married at the club and my wife and I decided to make it a weekend trip. While arriving, I remembered my friend told me it cost $5 to get to the club because it's on a state park, which is fine with me. It's beautiful and glad my $5 can help make it look nice. Once arriving to the Club, it looks like something out of a movie. It's huge and has many features that will take your breath away. We checked-in to our room, it was a king size bed and a screen in porch. The room was nothing to talk about; it was a normal old room. The bed was very nice and one thing I enjoyed was the old images on the walls from the clubs early days. The only thing was the hallway - you can hear everything and footsteps all through the night and the hallway light goes right into the room with little insulation around the door. The shower and bathroom was perfect...not bad at all. The people working at the club were extremely nice. We rented the bikes and rode around the island, very nice and the paths were perfect for people who just want to cruise the island. You can see some of the old homes which were pretty cool. Sunset at night is really nice - right over the waterway. There is a pier that we went fishing and caught some stuff...not a lot. It is a very nice romantic getaway but if you bring children, I believe there are things to do. The pool was very nice. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kevkid33
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 1, 2011

My wife and I stayed on the hotel looking for nice amenities and close to the beach. The hotel room was ok, the bathroom it is too small, also the bath tub has a wood case that make you hit on you knee every time you get in.

But in general, this hotel looks more like retirement house for Senior Citizens or Third age tourist. The hotel front desk people are not friendly at all and the people at the restauran or at the pool does not try to make you feel comfirtable.

Finally I would say, the hotel is perhaps a good place for weddings with bride and groom family. ONE NIGHT WILL BE ENOUGH

1 Thank MaGomP
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My wife and I traveled to Jekyll Island for Easter weekend, and WOW was this place beautiful! From the pristine beaches, including MUST SEE Driftwood Beach, to the georgeous, flowing spanish moss trees that line the island - Jekyll is worth the trip. The Club Hotel is a wonderful place with a TON of history - I HIGHLY recommend Sans Souci for your time there - but a FEW minor changes would go a LONG way. First off, bring beach towels. The pool always ran out of towels, which were tiny "shower" towels, so quickly, we found ourselves waiting forever in hopes of getting one. Again - they're TINY when they are available - the pool needs to fix this asap! Secondly - ignore the website's eating options. Most are CLOSED on weekends, but OPEN during the week. One would think it'd be the opposite. OPEN THE PUB on weekends!! Lastly, post better signage on what's available AT the resort for the guests there. It took a lot of research on our part to find out what was available, and furthermore how to get TO it at the resort. Amazing place, but needs a LITTLE more to make it perfect.

Room Tip: Call to book it - don't do it on-line!
1 Thank Sawyer123456
nc
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Pool area and bar service good, Solterra very good, Grand Dining Room elegant but overpriced and uninteresting menu. Hotel tour was interesting.
A must see historically but be sure not to get a north facing room in the annex on the ground floor. Room was dark, small, bed not very comfortable, light coming in from hallway at night, bathroom door did not close, no bathroom fan, no soft furnishings to make it a cozy retreat. Internet did not work in our room and neither did cell phone!

Room Tip: Ask lots of questions before you book.
1 Thank candlemas
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
The Beachview Club
The Beachview Club
#7 of 9 in Jekyll Island

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!