“A magnificent quiet getaway”
other travelers have booked this property
View of the bed, sitting area and kitchenette
The window bench The living area
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
The window bench
The living area
The Cantina Kitchenette
The 'office' area with built-in table
View from the balcony
Spring flowers in the parking area
Spring flowers as you drive in
View from the street
This picture shows the guest parking area at the end of the driveway.
Use this entrance to 'Aloft.'  Open the door, turn right, go up the stairs and you are in 'Aloft.'
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
flemish01
Savannah, Georgia
“A magnificent quiet getaway”
Reviewed January 2, 2015 for a stay in December 2014
people found this review helpful

If you are looking for peace, quiet and relaxation in a local residential neighborhood and away from the "tourist hustle and bustle", then this is the perfect place for you.
The second-story loft with easy and private access is large and open but feels very warm and welcoming upon turning the key and entering.
The furnishings feel like home and the interior reflects a very personal touch.
Multiple windows on all sides of the loft provide great light and yet embrace once own privacy during the day and evening.
The outside deck is the most magical place to sip coffee in the morning or tea in the afternoon/evening. Because the deck is on the second floor and the neighboring houses are single-story homes, one feels like drinking coffee with the trees and birds while getting ready for another day in paradise.
The owners, Pamela and Michael, are the most wonderful hosts/landlords one can wish for. They are present and there when needed and yet very respectful of ones own privacy.
The loft is only a short walk from the Horton House and Clam Creek, two wonderful places for walking along Driftwood Beach and the marshes and a short bike/ car ride to the Historic District and restaurants.
This place was magical for us and we enjoyed the quietness and the peaceful and relaxing surroundings.
We can't wait to come back next year and do it all over again.
"Aloft" is a well-kept secret. A mesmerizing, quiet place in the middle of an oasis.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The peace and quiet.
Liked least: Probably the mattress.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
Reviewed September 4, 2014 for a stay in October 2013

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: The feeling of being welcomed in a charming home.
Liked least: When it was time to leave.
Traveling group: Friends
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed September 2, 2014 for a stay in August 2014

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Private entrance, parking spot, and access to guest bicycles.
Liked least: Squeaky bed.
Deer Isle, Maine
Reviewed September 2, 2014 for a stay in January 2014

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the setup of the apartment
Liked least: i like to swim at the y in brunswick and do wish JI had a y.
Traveling group: Solo
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Lh L
Atlanta, Georgia
“Terrible”
Reviewed August 22, 2014 for a stay in September 2012
people found this review helpful

Honestly, I'm not sure where to start. It took me 2 years just to finally do this review.
IRRITATION #1: We got there, and the hosts were not there, but left instructions for the key to enter. About 30 mins after we got settled my husband needed a nap after a long 6 hour drive, so as always, he sleeps in the raw and got into bed for a nap. Next thing we know there's a neighbor knocking on the door which has a large window facing into the room WITH NO CURTAINS ON IT! Just a bit embarrassing... the host should have left us a phone number of the neighbor overseeing the place or had them call us before just popping over like that. So NO PRIVACY!
IRRITATION #2: This was an important trip for my husband and I to reconnect after going through a rough patch in our marriage. I specifically asked for NO ALCOHOL please in the gift basket their website indicated they leave. My husband was at the beginning stages of alcohol recovery so this was a really important thing. But they ignored my wishes and left the bottle anyway, indicating their lack of concern for their guests. My husband was so angry he told me to immediately get it out of his sight! I was enraged at them for leaving it when I specifically asked not to.
IRRITATION #3: The host had the nerve to leave a note asking us to tidy up the place, strip the bed and wash the sheets before we left because her daughter was coming in the night we would be leaving and she didn't have a maid service for the day. TOO BAD! When I stay at a hotel, they don't ask me to clean the place and the sheets for them. I thought that took a lot of nerve. So I didn't do it, all I did was strip the bed for them.
IRRITATION #4: When I did strip the bed and saw how disgustingly filthy the pillows were, I nearly got sick! Those pillows had no protective covers on them under the pillowcase. Unreal!
IRRITATION #5: Most of the lights didn't work in the place.
IRRITATION #6: The bathroom sick was like from the 50's with a separate hot & cold spouts so you either got cold water or hot water, there was no way to get warm water. UPDATE YOUR PLUMING PEOPLE! This is 2012 - the old stuff isn't cute, it's irritating!
IRRITATION #7: The coffee maker.., gross again. I don't think the inside of it had been cleaned EVER!
IRRITATION #8: The place was dirty too. You can tell whoever the maid it, did the minimal to dust and clean the floors. It was gross, dusty, and dirty floors.
Shall I go on???..... Trust me, there was nothing cutely decorated about this place either. The woman was a writer, so an artist, and the decor was nothing more than a shrine of her life. Pictures of her life & whatnot were all over the place. It got irritating. She's obviously a bit full of herself. It was nice that they offered to use some of the bikes for the guest to ride around in, but frankly if you're going to do that, at least make sure they work, okay?

OK, I think I'm done, got it all off my chest. I travel quite a bit and primarily stay at B&B's wherever I can, this place was the worse place I'd ever stayed. They charge about the same as the nice hotel in town, so if you want my advice... go there instead.

Liked best: None of it
Liked least: All of it
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Sep 1, 2014
After thirteen 5 star reviews and many more on our alternate location, all we can do is offer an apology to this customer, who waited two years to post this review.

We apologize for including a bottle of wine in her welcome basket. Most of our guests appreciate this gesture, but we regret that we dropped the ball on her request due to many overall email correspondences.

Our other guests have not had issues with the cleanliness (as noted in the reviews) of "Aloft." Furnishings, linens and equipment (like the sink, coffee pot and two bicycles) have been updated, repaired or replaced over the past two years. The lights have always worked. There are many switches which may have caused confusion.

The neighbor referenced in the review was attempting to communicate with the guests about any possible needs in our absence.

"Aloft" is an eclectic place to stay. We do our best to inform our guests of some of the things that make "Aloft" different. "Aloft," like Jekyll Island, is a mixture of the old and the new, funky and unusual. Therefore it is not a completely modernized, sterile environment. It is also a part of our home and a few personal mementos are used to decorate "Aloft." Many of our guests have commented that they feel like they are visiting friends because of this personal touch.

Two questions: Why wait so long to post the review? Why make a personal attack on the owner/writer?
Please read the rest of our reviews.
Jim H
Holly, Michigan
“Quite a nice surprise”
Reviewed June 16, 2014 for a stay in June 2014
person found this review helpful

We booked this place because our first choice, where we had stayed last year, was not available. And it turned out to be a blessing. I found the loft online, looked at the pictures, read the reviews, and decided to take a chance.

The first thing I noticed is that it was considerably bigger than I thought after seeing the pictures online. Secondly, shortly after we arrived Michael came up and gave us a bit of an overview of the space, the rules, local attractions, etc. We were then left to explore it on our own.

I appreciate the kitchen space because we like to have our own food/drinks available. As an avid cyclist I appreciated having bikes available.

A day or two after we arrived, Pamela came and introduced herself. She was nice enough to invite my wife to a few activities, which led to her meeting more women with whom she spent some time while I was occupied. I appreciated that a great deal.

Even though it was a fairly warm week, and the space is located upstairs, it was very cool in the room. The A/C works great. Everything is neat and clean, the folks are very nice but respect your privacy, and it is located in a great spot.

Whatever issues that arose were very minor and overshadowed by the overall experience.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The open space and privacy as compared to a hotel room
Liked least: Nothing really worth noting
Your age range 50-64
Older travelers
Glenn T
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
“Met my needs perfectly.”
Reviewed June 3, 2014 for a stay in May 2014

The apartment was very comfortable, nicely furnished and centrally located in a nice quiet area. I enjoyed the patio each morning and evening and on my last morning there a bird who was watching me snatched my toast while I was inside getting coffee. Had a laptop issue while there and the owner was extremely helpful in getting it resolved. David and Pamela are very nice people.

Traveling group: Solo
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing