“Great location”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
texas
“Great location”
Reviewed October 24, 2010

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel while visiting the Georgia Coast. The hotel is very nice. It is a resort like hotel. We had a king suite with a balcony. The suite had a couch, microwave and mini fridge. The rooms were larger than most Hampton Inns. There is a very nice boardwalk than goes to the beach. The breakfast was typical Hampton Inn that was always stocked. Even though some of the rooms have a balcony, there is no beach view. You are looking at the dunes with vegetation and the beach is not visible. If you want to see the beach from your room, there are several hotels further down the street that do have views. For such a large facility, we were surprised that there were only 2 luggage carts. We had to carry our bags over several trips to our room. The staff could not locate a cart for us. If using your GPS, it will tell you to take the first right turn after paying the $5 parking fee for the island. If you take this turn, you will arrive at the 4-H site. Just go a mile further down the road and you will see the Hampton Inn on the right. If you go to the second road to the right, you will see signs that will lead you to the Hampton Inn. We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was very peaceful and quiet.

1 Thank rdwacw

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed October 23, 2010

Very nice hotel, staff was extremely helpful. I would definately stay here again.

1 Thank Nuke63
GA
Reviewed October 18, 2010

An example: I went to the front desk to rent a bike, they were out. Rather than saying "sorry, we've run out" they said "we're out, come on I'll take you to another rental place". It's that kind of positive, guest-focused attitude that will keep me coming back.

The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and helpful. The location and facilities are very good. Room cleaning was later in the day than I'd prefer, although I have no doubt that if I stated my preference they would honored it. A very enjoyable stay.

1 Thank GJY
Jupiter, Florida
Reviewed October 17, 2010

We stayed at the Hampton a couple weeks ago in early 2010. This was our first time to the area. We enjoyed bike riding on the island, kayaking and going to St. Simons Island nearby.

The Hampton was very enjoyable and I agree with most of the other reviews on the positive aspects. A couple of things they could improve: while we visited the hot tub was inoperable becuase they needed a new heating element. Would think they would keep spares for these kinds of situations. The hotel also has a very nice fire pit but the night we want to use it the staff could not figure out how to start it. Another morning we dicided to go bike riding and asked if our room could be cleaned while we were out. It turns our we were gone for 5 hours and they did not clean the room. Anyway these are the small issues we had but overall it is a very nice property and we had a great time.

I will share a couple of things we enjoyed that others did not touch on. The bike riding is great but what is really nice is that the sand on the becah is hard packed at low tide so you can ride for miles at a good pace on the beach.

There is no gas on the island currently so don't excpect to fill up there. I believe one station was being built.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My daughter, my 2 grandchilden and I stayed for one night at the new Hampton on Jekyll Island. The hotel staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful and the rooms were very large with comfortable beds with nice decorations. However,there were a few things that would prevent me from giving it a rating of 5. One was that they allow dogs in the rooms in this beautiful new hotel with nice carpet on the bedroom floors. We saw a lot of people with little dogs (some barking) while we waited on the only elevator that was working that day. The one that was working was very slow and we were on the top floor. The fan in the bathroom was on a motion detector and I found it noisy and irratating because it ran for a long time after leaving the bathroom. Also,in both our bathrooms (we had adjoining rooms) the temperature indicator handle in the tub was installed incorrectly - the cold water was where "hot" was written and the hot water was where "cold" was written on the plate on the wall of the tub. I think this could be dangerous for their guests. The complimentary breakfast was not up to par with other Hampton Inns and Suites that we have stayed in in other cities. It is a beautiful hotel and realize some of the things we did not like can be changed.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed October 12, 2010

The rooms were well appointed, big and better than a regular Hampton Inn. The furnishings are just this side of luxury. We enjoyed the pool, the beach access and the location. Jekyll islands doesn't have many places to eat out so be prepared for this factor. We had breakfast at the Inn and it was good, better than continental fare. Waffles, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, all the basics and more. The kitchen for the poolside dining was slow, and very limited menu. You can't just run out and get a sandwich here so we expected their menu to be a bit more than it was for us. Still, it was adequate. They have one of pantry markets at this location and this would be fine for a single person to catch something as they pull into town late at night. Make time to relax by the outdoor fireplace by the pool, its fabulous. You can purchase a s'more kit at the front desk. The hot tub wasn't working at all when we were there, but hopefully for you it will be. Staff was very helpful and accommodating.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Duluth, GA
Reviewed October 8, 2010

In an attempt to end a short stay on the GA coast in style, I thought we'd splurge a bit and stay at the Hampton Inn on Jekyll Island - mostly due to always having a very good stay in all aspects of hospitality at Hamptons. The first irritant (which HI had no voice in, however) was the $5.00 fee to access the Island and/or park therein for 24 hours.

When I approached the desk, the room we were assigned had not been prepared as yet (1.05p) and I agreed that check-in is listed as available at 1500hrs. OK, we went to the village and putzed around for a couple of hours, returning at 1530h to check in formally. All was OK up to that point.

A walkway behind the hotel offered guests a short, unobstructed walk to the beach - which at this time of year was almost deserted but, nonetheless, quiet and beautiful.

The next morning, we went down for breakfast at about 0830h and asked if the hotel had received and/or still carried the USA Today newspaper. The desk clerk had no idea what I was talking about and offered me the Brunswick News (a local rag) that was under the table "over there" (pointing). I threw up my hand and said, "No thanks" and went with my spouse to choose a table for breakfast. As we were locating our table, I got a tap on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw another guest, with a USA Today in her hand which she gave to me saying, "Here's one, sir...they have the paper" and shrugged indicating that the front desk was not a place of measurable intelligence.

That I could pass over and forget, but the "breakfast" (and I use that term sparingly) was the worse I have encountered in over 184+ different Hampton Inns in 45 states during the past 10 years! There were no eggs - scrambled or otherwise; there was only two (count them) hot bins with cold French toast fingers and sausage cut-ups (which were hot). Yes, both hot bins contained exactly the same thing! No oatmeal except two packs of Apple and Cinnamon, with no Original oatmeal packets. Only those and instant grits. Other cereals choices were KIX, Corn Flakes and Cheerios. Yogurt? All Harvest Peach - the kind provided by food purveyors that no one will buy and they have to unload them somewhere.
All in all, for the $$ paid $135+), this is only the second Hampton that I will permanently cross off my list of those I would return to. Most disappointing indeed. I blame myself for not going with my first choice, the Hampton Inn in St. Simons Island.

4 Thank GwinnettTraveler
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#8 of 9 in Jekyll Island

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Jekyll Island? Share your experiences!