“Best Food on the Island”
Review of Driftwood Bistro

Driftwood Bistro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Casual theme low country cuisine specializing in fresh vegetables and unique entree items featuring Wild Georgia Shrimp, Stuffed Collard Greens, Signature Pastas and Shrimp Creole. Traditional favorites like Yankee Pot Roast, Shrimp and Grits, Stuffed Baked Flounder, Fried Grilled or Blackened Wild Georgia Shrimp (did I mention that we serve Wild Gorgia Shrimp). Unique sandwiches like our Veggie Wrap and Cracker Cuban as well as burgers and salads. Full service bar specializing in frozen specialty drinks from Top Shelf Margaritas,Peach Daiquiris and Rum Bar Smashes.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My golf group stayed at the Villas by the Sea and this is the restaurant attached to the hotel. The food is very very good (try the meat loaf with red sauce) and the servers are super. We had a group of 24 and they accommodated us very well. The most attractive thing was the cost. It was half of what we had paid the night before and the food was better. Call for reservations because this is a favorite of the locals.

Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

The driftwood bistro was highly recommended online and locally. My husband and I looked at the menu online and made a decision. It was beyond our expectations. The fried green tomatoes were to die for, the shrimp and grits were ahhmazing, and the pork tenderloin was divine. We were very impressed with the staff who almost got to know you while you were being served. My husband and I loved the food because it was down home southern but not all fried. Everything had a twist to it. The fried okra, green tomatoes, even the Mac and cheese were all unique! We will be craving this again very soon...just another excuse to come back!

Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had dinner here twice. Very good and enjoyable atmosphere both evenings.Pn the second evening,
our lovely waitress Augusta took the time to describe the dishes peculiar to this part of the US. Staff noticed our "exotic " accent and made us feel welcome.
The wild Georgia shrimp was terrific, the flounder topped with leek cream , really delicious. The fried green tomAtoes a real treat and we just love the squash casserole with winter squash.
The wine (a real bargain at 10$ a bottle for any ) was not so great .
And the collards were great, real southern fare.
The restaurant was full of happy, satisfied locals and tourists alike.
Great place.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Based upon the good TripAdvisor reviews I was expecting more from our dining experience. Just so you know my wife and I are not food snobs and keep an open mind when it comes to food and service.

The restaurant was busy, but we were seated in a few minutes. We were warmly greeted and given our menus. My wife ordered the Shrimp Creole and I ordered the Shrimp and Grits with a side of Fried Okra. We both had our shrimp grilled.

The Shrimp Creole was bland tasting and any sauce was sucked up by the rice. The shrimp themselves were grilled, tasty and cooked appropriately.

The Shrimp and grits were a disappointment. The order was to contain mushrooms, leeks, ham, roasted red pepper cream sauce over cheese grits. All I saw was one mushroom and a white cream sauce over the grits. The sauce was plain and reminded me of white gravy that is served with chicken fried steak. The grits underneath were good.

The worst part of the meal was the fried okra. Usually you would get slices or chucks of okra with a moist center and fried with a breading of some kind. The pieces were squished flat and the first bite I had to spit out because it was all fibrous and not eatable like a hard stem. I tried another piece and it was the same way. I asked the waitress to take it away and ordered cream corm instead which was good.

The best deal is that you can order a bottle of a good wine for $10.00 and have it with your dinner or take it to go with you.

No problems with the service or the atmosphere or cleanliness of this place. Maybe we hit it on a bad night? Next time in Jekyll, may try again, because of the other good reviews.

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had an early dinner at this deservedly popular restaurant. I ordered the shrimp with a citrus reduction which was flavorful but a bit on the oily side. The menu has an extensive list of side dishes some of which are family recipes and are really very good - the squash casserole was excellent. The restaurant had quite a bargain on a bottle of wine when we dined there. The owner and his staff were very friendly and helpful. This is an excellent restaurant and one that I would recommend without hesitation.

1  Thank mdm69