“Not as good as expected”
Review of Driftwood Bistro

Driftwood Bistro
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Casual theme low country cuisine specializing in fresh vegetables and unique entree items featuring Wild Georgia Shrimp, Stuffed Collard Greens, Signature Pastas and Shrimp Creole. Traditional favorites like Yankee Pot Roast, Shrimp and Grits, Stuffed Baked Flounder, Fried Grilled or Blackened Wild Georgia Shrimp (did I mention that we serve Wild Gorgia Shrimp). Unique sandwiches like our Veggie Wrap and Cracker Cuban as well as burgers and salads. Full service bar specializing in frozen specialty drinks from Top Shelf Margaritas,Peach Daiquiris and Rum Bar Smashes.
Jacksonville FL
“Not as good as expected”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Based upon the good TripAdvisor reviews I was expecting more from our dining experience. Just so you know my wife and I are not food snobs and keep an open mind when it comes to food and service.

The restaurant was busy, but we were seated in a few minutes. We were warmly greeted and given our menus. My wife ordered the Shrimp Creole and I ordered the Shrimp and Grits with a side of Fried Okra. We both had our shrimp grilled.

The Shrimp Creole was bland tasting and any sauce was sucked up by the rice. The shrimp themselves were grilled, tasty and cooked appropriately.

The Shrimp and grits were a disappointment. The order was to contain mushrooms, leeks, ham, roasted red pepper cream sauce over cheese grits. All I saw was one mushroom and a white cream sauce over the grits. The sauce was plain and reminded me of white gravy that is served with chicken fried steak. The grits underneath were good.

The worst part of the meal was the fried okra. Usually you would get slices or chucks of okra with a moist center and fried with a breading of some kind. The pieces were squished flat and the first bite I had to spit out because it was all fibrous and not eatable like a hard stem. I tried another piece and it was the same way. I asked the waitress to take it away and ordered cream corm instead which was good.

The best deal is that you can order a bottle of a good wine for $10.00 and have it with your dinner or take it to go with you.

No problems with the service or the atmosphere or cleanliness of this place. Maybe we hit it on a bad night? Next time in Jekyll, may try again, because of the other good reviews.

Asheville, North Carolina
“Recommended restaurant on Jekyll Island”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

We had an early dinner at this deservedly popular restaurant. I ordered the shrimp with a citrus reduction which was flavorful but a bit on the oily side. The menu has an extensive list of side dishes some of which are family recipes and are really very good - the squash casserole was excellent. The restaurant had quite a bargain on a bottle of wine when we dined there. The owner and his staff were very friendly and helpful. This is an excellent restaurant and one that I would recommend without hesitation.

1 Thank mdm69
York, Maine
“Great food with great service”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My family went to Jekyll Island for one night and decided to try the Driftwood bistro for dinner. We came in right around 5:00 and were seated right away. We were happy to see that there was shrimp and grits on the menu. We came with five adults and one child who was 1 1/2. The waitress we had was really nice and accommodating.

We ordered four meals for all of us to split with two appetizers. We had the fried green tomatoes which were excellent, and the wonderful wild shrimp to start. For our meals we had the house special which was some sort of citrus shrimp, which was the only meal we really didn't like but we ate anyway. We also had the shrimp and grits along with the yankee pot roast. I would HIGHLY recommend these two dishes. All of our platters were regular size and they were enough to feed all of us although we all wished we would have gotten another shrimp and grits instead of the special.

We wished we could have gotten dessert but our waitress was getting really busy and we didn't have a lot of time to wait. Overall, it was a great experience and when we go back to Jekyll we will definitely eat here!

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Value, Good Food”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

After spending almost double for dinner a couple of nights before, I was anxious to see if the Bistro was as good as the reviews. They did not disappoint. The service was very attentive! The food was delivered promptly and was very tasty. The portions were just right and fairly priced. Of course $10 for a bottle of wine that you don't have to feel like you have to finish because they'll let you take home what you don't finish! This is definately a MUST visit if on Jekyll Island. I'm looking forward to my next visit (whenever that is :-( )

Decatur, Georgia
“slow service and rude staff”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Came with a large group in January. i know large groups with many checks can present problems for the waitstaff but the issues I experienced did not have anything to do with that. My order came out wrong, took a while to see the server again to explain what was missing, she says she will bring the missing item because I am going to get charged for it, never brought it, and said it would take too long to void it. Two hours later after extremely slow service and check distribution she tried to make me feel bad about asking for the item to be removed. She wanted to wrap it up and send it home with me. The atmosphere is nice and the food average. Maybe you could get better service at the bar.

Visited January 2013