“VERY Clean Hotel...Worth the $$$”

Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Bristow, VA
“VERY Clean Hotel...Worth the $$$”
Reviewed July 15, 2007

The room was very clean, especially considering the age of this hotel. The service was very friendly, the continental breakfast was just fine for what we needed. It was on the beach but the actual beach is not what I expected. We are used to VA and NC beaches where you actually want to swim in the ocean. That's not the fault of the hotel though, just the nature of the island. My only real complaint was the cleanliness of the pools. I know its hard to keep a beachfront pool clean BUT...I wouldn't let my son go under water in one of them because there seemed to be a black fungus all over the sides and bottom and the water was cloudy at best. The other pool was much better but still not up to my cleanliness standards. Overall, it was worth the $139/night that we paid and worked great for our base of operations to explore the island. In the future, if it was just my husband and me, I would pay the extra few $ for the Jekyll Island Hotel simply for the ambiance and history. However, for us with my 5-year old it was perfect.

• Liked — Cleaniness
  • Disliked — Pools
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank thatcherc2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 27, 2007

We stayed in a second floor king suite at the Days Inn for three nights last week, paying nearly $250 per night. The quality of the hotel, however, is more along the lines of a $129 per night hotel.

The suite was spacious, which pleased us, but it felt old and run down. The sofa was saggy. The door to the balcony would close only with effort. The plastic ceiling panels on the balcony sagged about a foot in one spot and rattled dramatically when the wind blew. The bedroom air conditioner leaked, and by our last day there, had the carpet soaked tso that if you stepped anywhere between the bed and the wall you were stepping into a sock-soaking soggy mess.

We had reserved the room for three people: ourselves and our teenaged son. Since the suite included one bed and one sofa bed, it seems obvious that the sofa bed would be used--yet when we pulled it out that first night, we were met with a bare mattress. We found sheets and a blanket in drawers, but no mattress pad. Apparently, any sofa bed users are expected to make their own beds and sleep on a bare mattress covered by a thin sheet. When I went to the desk to ask for a mattress pad I was met with rudeness. I asked if someone had forgotten to make up the sofa bed or if that is the hotel's policy, to make the guests make it themselves, and the girl said, "The king suite sleeps up to six people. There is a bed and a sofa bed. Sheets are in the drawer if anybody wants to use the sofa bed. People are free to sleep where they want in that room." I have never, by the way, experienced having to make up our own sofa bed in even a $99 per night hotel. That's part of the idea behind a vacation, I thought: getting to take a break from things like making beds.

My husband was most irked by the condition of the pools. On our first day there we saw bandaids (in the pools and out), gatorade bottles, a banana peel, newspapers, magazines, shoes, wrappers...and as we checked out four days later, the exact same trash was still there, and then some. The banana peel had been there so long it had turned black and dried up. Not once in our four days did anyone clean the area or vacuum the pool.

The "deluxe" continental breakfast is a most ordinary continental breakfast with nothing deluxe about it. There is cold cereal, off brand hot oatmeal microwaveable packets, a limited pastry selection, fruit, coffee, juice which was put into the ice warm so was warmish when we drank it, and a make-your-own-waffles table, but no actual waffemaker the whole time we were there. The breakfast room is dirty, dated, has twisted vertical blinds and filthy windows.

On the plus side: the little kitchenette seemed well equipped. My son plugged up the toilet late one night and the maintenance man was very prompt and friendly in plunging it. It's on a nice area of the beach--lovely soft sand. The king bed was comfortable. But on the whole, the quality of this hotel just doesn't mesh with the prices they are demanding.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The quality
5 Thank GeorgiaFamily
georgia
Reviewed June 18, 2007

The 2nd floor oceanview room was a good deal for the price. This is not a fancy resort room, but it was very clean. Check-in and check-out were quick and easy and the staff is friendly. The 1st floor rooms only have a view of the sand dunes, but the 2nd floor gives you a view of the ocean, but the sand dunes still hide the beach area. There is plenty of beach at low tide, but high tide leaves only about 20 yards of beach. This was not a problem, since the beaches are not crowded. This is a great place for a family vacation. No crowds, no drunk party goers, and best of all, there are no homeless beach bums hanging around, like you see in Jacksonville or the Gulf Coast.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — only suites have private balcony
3 Thank american100
South Georgia
Reviewed June 14, 2007

True to its word this is an oceanfront hotel...probably the closest you can get to the beach/ocean on Jekyll, which leaves a lot to be desired in my book. It isn't "steps to the beach" as I read in another review but more like several hundred yards. The hotel itself was very clean and the staff friendly. We had a double suite which was very nice...two double beds with a queen sleeper/sofa which was located in a different "living room". The kitchenette had a fridge, microwave and a two-burner stovetop. It had lots of cabinet space for food and dishes and even came equipped with pots, pans, utensils and dishes. Picnic tables on the grounds by the pool also had grills. The only downside to staying here...and it's no reflection on the hotel itself as much as it is the island...is that unless you were on an upper floor (we were on the second floor) you couldn't even see the ocean! Our second-floor view of the ocean was blocked by sand dunes. The island is extremely well-protected for loggerhead turtles so visitors are limited a lot. Be sure and rent bikes from Wheels are Fun adjacent to the hotel and eat at least one meal at Latitude 31. Don't bother with Zachary's. Also, the island leaves much to be desired in the desserts section....especially ice cream. The best place (and the friendliest people we found) for ice cream is Flash Foods in the shopping center by Zachary's. The ice cream was good and the serving easily a $5-serving anywhere else but only costs $1.29! These guys are cheating themselves!

• Liked — The kitchenette
  • Disliked — Closeness...or lack thereof...to the ocean/beach
4 Thank peachorangepenny
Owen Sound, ON
Reviewed May 26, 2007

My husband and I and two friends stayed at the Days Inn on Jekyll Island just last week. I had done lots of reading on all the hotel options prior to choosing the Days Inn and I'm glad I did. We decided on this hotel as the reviews were so much better than for any of the other hotels in the area. They were all right!

We had pre-booked our stay through Expedia and the check-in was quick and efficient when we arrived on the Island. We found our rooms to be the exact second floor, ocean view, king rooms that we had requested. Although a bit small, it was extremely clean and in very good condition. We didn't need any more space as we were there to explore the island, not sit in our rooms.

Each room had a fridge and microwave in it. A pair of chairs and a small table outside for relaxing were nice touches too. There were two pools availible for use, although only one was open while we were there as it was the off season and the hotel was not busy at all. We didn't experience any problems with crowding in the pool while we were there. There were plenty of pool toys (pool noodles, a floating net and ball, etc), lots of lounge chairs, and pool towels were all readily availible by the pool.

The beach itself was great as well. The natural dunes were amazing to see! At low tide, there is tons of space to walk, play, or lounge on the beach. We could see that the beach would be significantly smaller at high tide, but the beach goes on for miles, so I can't imagine there would be much problem finding space to sit even in the busy season. We didn't get to spend lots of time at the beach as it was very windy and the water was quite rough. What time we did spend there, the water was warm, and fairly shallow at low tide.

Breakfast was offered from 6 - 10am each morning. It offered a great selection of make your own waffles, cereals, fruits, and muffins, toast, etc... Great to have something availbile first thing in the morning. The other hotel option we were considering did not offer breakfast and I'm glad we chose the place that did. Again, lots of seating and I only had to wait 1 minute to get to a waffle machine in the morning. Beautiful view over the ocean to enjoy too!

This hotel was the perfect 'home base' for us while we toured the island and even had a bike rental location right next door and easy access to the amazing trail system circling the island. I would recommend it to anyone traveling to Jekyll Island and would definately return on our next visit!

• Liked — Very clean, great view!
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
5 Thank Ryman_MacNeil
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed May 6, 2007

Admittedly, we are used to more upscale accomodations and the aquamarine waters of the Carribean; however, we needed a vacation on a budget so we went with Days Inn. The accomodations themselves were a bit of a shock but looking back on the trip, overall, we had a decent stay. Our room was a suite on the second floor, facing the ocean (its really hard to see the ocean on the first floor due to sand dunes). The suite consisted of very very basic furniture in one room (like a living area) and two double beds in the other room with a long hallway connecting the two that had a little kitchenette area in it and a no frills bathroom off the side. We also had a balcony which was nice. The hotel itself could use some updates, from the rooms (new carpet, bedding, window treatments) to pool maintenance (some cracks and in need of a fresh coat of paint) but the beach was nice. Very wide and quiet. Jekyll Island itself is pretty--not like the islands of the Carribean but still a nice break by the water with lots of natural habitat and wildlife. Large continental breakfast in the morning saved us money (the waffles were delicious).

• Liked — Location of the beach and view from our room
  • Disliked — Needed updates
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank TimeTravelerer
Jonesboro, GA
Reviewed May 1, 2007

My husband and I stayed there two nights and were very happy with the service.We got the April -May Hot rate special they were running for $79 a night. The room is a typical Days in room so don’t let the name resort fool you. The room was clean and every person we met friendly and helpful. We had forgotten our toothpaste and they gave us a trial size at the front desk. The continental breakfast was more then filling, although there was not a protein in site. For those of us on a low carb diet that was shot. But 4 types of bagels, English muffins, waffles you make fresh your self., variety of muffins, fruit, cereals, and juices ( I think that they need to nix the kids juice boxes for some pitchers). I enjoyed the view of the ocean while I was eating. The two pools were large and although only one was open it more then served the amount of guest I saw swimming. The upstairs ocean view rooms had balconies. You could walk right onto the beach and there were two water spayers to rinse off in back on the concrete near the pools so no traipsing back through the sand as I have seen in other hotels. It was my first trip to Jekyll Island. I may not have been as impressed with the island as I had heard I would be, but if I had a reason to go back, for me and my budget I would not think twice about staying here again.

• Liked — the friendl staff and the location to the beach and island attractions
  • Disliked — The beds were too hard for me.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,182 reviews
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#6 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island? Share your experiences!