“Great budget choice on the Island”

Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Reviewed July 13, 2010

This is the second time we have stayed here, the first time being for a soccer tournament in the late fall, so playing in the water and laying on the beach was not the planned activity as it was this time. However, our stay last time led us to come back, and we were not disappointed. The place is right on the beach, has two swimming pools (outdoors), and a hot tub. The breakfast room is great, providing a nice view of the ocean, and the breakfast is really good as well. The rooms are typical for a Days Inn, so they are quite adequate, but not outstanding or close to anything considered well appointed (indeed, rather basic). They come with a moderately sized mini-fridge that is unstocked so you can put all your drinks and food inside, and a small microwave. There are a couple of picnic tables with charcoal grills outside. The rooms were quite clean and did not have that worn-out beach look common to beach hotels. I note pleasantly that the ice machines were reasonably plentiful and used filtered water (tap water on the island is not great).

On the downside, anyone going here should not expect recently modernized rooms. The TV is not a flat screen and not overly big. It would be nice if the breakfast had something like hard boiled eggs (still, it is a very good and diverse breakfast: you won't go hungry).

As for location, they are about as close to the beach as you can hope to get, and the beach at that end of the island is not overly populated. (I am not sure it is anywhere on the island.) When we got there, the front desk had a sign saying that the Sea Turtle center was having turtle walks at night, so we signed up. While I usually like to do things on my own, and not join such walks, I figured they would take us to an area most likely to have sea turtles coming up on the beach to nest. I was a bit amused when they gave us directions to park just north of the hotel, and then the walk proceeded to take us in front of the hotel and a couple hundreds yards further south. Turns out the first sea turtle spotted that night was somewhat north of the hotel (so we went up there to watch it lay eggs and move back to the ocean), and the second one spotted was a bit further to the south of the hotel. That said, while the hotel is wonderfully situated, I would recommend the sea turtle walk with the guides since they find out where turtles are from the turtle patrol, and also have the appropriate lights.

I should mention that the staff is great as well, much above the typical 2.5 star hotel.

My bottom line is that the hotel is a great budget choice.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Anonymous-Atlanta
Write a ReviewReviews (2,403)

Reviewed July 11, 2010

Stayed in a standard room at the Days Inn July 3-9. If you're looking for the Four Seasons, this ain't it. The room was fairly small (just a tiny table and chair between the two beds), the carpets and towels pretty worn, and no closet (just a small hanging rack) and a chest of drawers. But this place is so, so convenient: A decent, basic breakfast (make-your-own waffles plus cereal, donuts, fruit, etc.), two clean swimming pools, two computers in the lobby, wireless internet, and just a 30-yard walk to the beach. The staff ranged from very professional to extraordinarily unprofessional: A female employee working at the front desk was loudly criticizing a co-worker in the presence of guests. We paid $99/night, and we feel like we got our money's worth.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the years. I have never had a bad experience here. It's clean and bright, and the staff are top notch. It's also one of the most affordable hotels on the island. I've seen other reviews complaining about the age of the hotel. If you visit Jekyll Island often, you quickly realize that all the hotels are old. They don't rip them down and rebuild every ten years. There is nothing 'run down' about this hotel. I've stayed at higher priced properties on the island that were not anywhere as clean and well maintained as this one. Every time I visit, the hotel has made improvements.

They have a couple of pools, tables and umbrellas, and a nice upstairs free breakfast area.

The location is great, with the beach just a couple of minutes walk from any room. Don't miss out on walking on the beach at night from this hotel. Easy, safe access and it's a beautiful experience.

I always stay in a room on the island side. A balcony or patio isn't a big deal to me since I'm spending my mornings and evenings on the beach, so I go for island side rooms where you can park at your door. Very convienent. All rooms have a microwave and a mini fridge, which is great for leftovers and keeping cold drinks on hand.

My room was immaculate when I arrived and kept that way. The housekeeping staff is great.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank contance12
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here. We had a suite, Rm 119, for three nights, and it worked very well for us. The staff we dealt with did try to please us and meet all our requests. Two TVs in the suite, a big plus when you have kids and teens. We had a hornet's nest by our back door, and the maintenance man came right away and took care of it. One of our key cards stopped working, and the front desk appologized and fixed it immediatly. At $200 a night, we thought the suite was a bargain. We walked right out our back door, and we were only a very short walk to the beach, perhaps a three minute walk. Loved it! Two pools, very clean, one heated, and there were always plenty of pool towels at both pools. Breakfast was plentiful and adequate to start your day, and the breakfast staff worked very hard to keep the place clean and well supplied. Hey, all I need is juice, coffee, a waffle, and some fruit to have a nice breakfast, and that was well supplied every morning. Eat breakfast on the second floor, with a beautiful ocean and beach view. Plenty of tables and chairs, never a crowding issue. The wireless internet worked well in the room with my laptop. They also have two desktops in the lobby for guest use. The room kitchen had a refir, microwave, a small range, a sink, and a complete set of pots, pans, dishes, glasses, and silverware. We were given a large supply of towels daily, and the bathroom was large. There were two a/c units in the suite, and they kept the suite cool night and day. I definitely would stay here again and recommend it to my associates. I think someone on the management staff was on the desk when we checked out, and she was pleasant and thanked us for staying with them. Keep in mind, this property opened in 1969 as The Corsair Motel, so it is old, but it has gone through renovations, and the present owner is maintaining the property very well. I appreciate their no pets policy. Dogs can really mess up a nice resort like this, not to mention how they bother people by urinating and pooping all over. Oh yeah, you can sit out on your semi-private back patio and take in the salt air, very nice and relaxing. Used my laptop out there often. Walk down to the beach, and you might even see a sea turtle.

1  Thank Cruiser100
Reviewed June 13, 2010

We, along with our 10 yr old granddaughter, stayed at this Days Inn on June 3rd & 4th, 2010. Our main destination was the Sea Turtle Center. We did go out on the beach at night looking for a sea turtle, got lucky and watched one nesting/laying her eggs.

As far as the hotel, not quite so lucky!! In their adds, it is stated that this is an "award-winning, oceanside inn". I would be curious to know what the award was for and how many years ago was that? The room was dreary, the ceiling ugly , the furniture outdated, and when you opened the door, you looked straight into the tiny bathroom.

The location was good, granddaughter enjoyed the pool(s), and the staff was friendly enough, however, would not stay there again

1  Thank AbbyCharlie
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel. As others have stated, the hotel is old, dated, grungy and rundown.
The location can't be beat - it is right on the beach. We got a suite on the 2nd floor and from the balcony, you could see the ocean & hear the surf. The beach itself is beautiful.

The room was awful - when you walk in, there are 2 very uncomfortable dble beds w/small lumpy pillows in the first room. This room overlooks the parking lot & is noisy because it's exterior. The room a/c unit is 6 inches from one of the beds, so if you like cold air blowing right on you when you sleep, you will enjoy it. We didn't like it, so had to shut it off. In the bedroom are an open closet area, cheap dresser and old t.v. Off that room is the galley-style kitchenette that has a mini frig, microwave, coffee maker, very small sink & 2 burner stove top. The kitchenette was sparsely supplied with some dishes, eating utensils and pots/pans. I think it would be hard to fix a meal in there.
Off that room is an old bathroom w/fiberglass tub/shower combo and then a sitting room w/dingy sofa and old t.v. Then a door to balcony and ocean view. The furniture on the balcony is plastic, wobbly and had never been cleaned from the looks of it.
The whole place, including carpet, ceiling tiles, bathroom were all dated & in need of updating & repairs.
While this place is rundown, the room had been cleaned and the main areas were cleaned regularly. The staff there is very friendly & helpful.
The continental breakfast was nice - they have a waffle station, different hot & cold cereals, fresh fruit, canned juices, yogurt, muffins/danish, coffee & tea. There were workers there keeping everything filled & cleaning tables. The breakfast room overlooks the pools & ocean, so that is wonderful.
The smoke alarm started chirping around 6 a.m. (low battery?) and I reported it at check-out and they made a note of it. I think that even though this place is old & grungy, they are cleaning it on a regular basis and trying to maintain it as is.
If you stay there for the view, and don't mind rustic surroundings, then you'll enjoy this place. Just know this going into it. My preference is very clean, updated, more upscale, so this just wasn't my style.

1  Thank FLLights
DIJkylMgmTeam, General Manager at Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2010

Dear Guest,

We are sorry to learn that our facility was not up to your standards. We do not claim to be a new hotel, but we do strive to be the best Days Inn & Suites that we can be. Our previous awards are Chairman's Awards for quality, and Executive Housekeeper of the Year (out of 1800 Days Inn's).

Our hotel was originally built in 60's, but our company bought it in 1998 and closed it for a year to put more than 4 million into a complete renovation. Since our reopening in 1999, we have continued to upgrade as needed, by replacing carpets, bedding to new pillow top mattresses, currently replacing 27" televisions to 32" flat screens, last year we upgraded our pool area with two brand new pools (one heated in the winter), a hot tub and kiddy pool, added large funbrellas to our pool areas for addtional shade, upgraded our lobby with new furniture, a beautiful hand painted 8' by 85' murral, a 90 gallon salt water aquarium, and two complimentary computers and printers for the guest use.

We do thank you for giving us a try and we do know that we are not suitable for everyone, but we do strive to offer the best value, the best in customer service with clean and comfortable accommodations that would appeal to most guests looking for a relaxing atmosphere while on beautiful Jekyll Island!

The Days Inn & Suites
Management Team

Reviewed May 31, 2010

The place is right on the beach, so you can't beat the location. Additionally, it is very quiet, peaceful, relaxing and perfect for families. The hotel was clean, but the rooms are so very old and just need a complete renovation. The breakfast area is beautiful overlooking the ocean and the breakfast iself was perfectly adequate- waffles, cereal, bagels, donuts, etc. There were some minor annoyances. The first night we called the front desk to request a crib and had to call back 4 times as the front desk person said he would have to wait until his replacement showed up. Well, he just left and I eventually had to go to the front desk myself to pick it up. Once received, it had some nasty stains on the mat, so we didn't use it. In the end, we had a good time on Jekyll Island and there aren't a whole lot of options in terms of hotels. However, in hindsight, I probably would have spent a little extra and stayed at the brand new Hampton Inn and Suites down the road which is also oceanfront. The question is whether you want to spend a little more money. I would have felt a little more comfortable in a newer place/nicer room.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
#3 of 9 in Jekyll Island
Best Western Plus St. Simons
Best Western Plus St. Simons
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island? Share your experiences!