All reviews beach house rusty anchor fire pit kids eat free martini bar third floor ocean view pool bar morning coffee bike path easy access beach side resort fee coffee maker sand dollars hot tub rent bikes
Reviewed August 2, 2018 via mobile

Myself and three elementary school kids went to Jekyll island for vacation. The island is wonderful and this hotel has the best beach location (we looked at the other hotels while there)! The room was good size, front desk staff great, dinner at beach house with kids eating free amazing! Pool, property and beach clean. Only concern was house keeping. Food some shells, medicine, and toys left in our room on check in. They made beds and vacuumed, but never wiped off table, didn't replace toliet paper or towels. And house keeping or maintenance - both?- dirty finger prints on walls, light bulb burned out, miss matched paint to cover defects.
Definitely not resort but fantastic Beach hotel that could improve a few things easily.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
1  Thank Hayley D
Hal S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Dear Hayley D:
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Resort on Jekyll Island. Your comments and thoughts have been shared with our staff and we appreciate your candor. We have taken steps to resolve some of the issues you experienced and described...that way no other visitor to our hotel will experience the same disappointment. We are grateful for your descriptive experience.

Reviewed July 31, 2018

I knew this was not a fancy resort before we arrived based on reviews, so I went in with fairly low expectations. It exceeded my expectations in most cases except for housekeeping. All the staff (except housekeeping) that we encountered were friendly and helpful. Check in was quick, and we didn't have to wait to get into our large double queen room on the 2nd floor which had a view of the playground, pool, and to the ocean beyond.

The beds were comfy with plenty of pillows. Lots of space for suitcases and beach stuff. Balcony had a small table and two chairs. Bathroom was one big room, but spacious enough for the family. The room also had a microwave, mini-fridge, safe, and flatscreen TV, along with a table and four chairs. The room was quite, and we rarely ever heard anyone else around us or even outside.
We had reserved a room with breakfast included, so we had vouchers for the adults, and the kids under 12 ate free at every meal at the Beach house if an adult ordered an entrée. Great deal.
The pool was small and always seemed crowded. It was cloudy and a little dirty most of the time. It was often very difficult to find pool chairs that weren't reserved. So we spent most of our time at the beach, which did not seem crowded at all despite the fact that the hotel was completely booked during our stay. The bike path that traverses the island goes right in front of the hotel, so you can bike everywhere. We preferred the southern route towards the Beach village as it went along the dunes and had more views and breezes than the route towards the north (more forest & neighborhoods).
Anchor Bar was ok - friendly service but drinks were pricey ($12 pina colada!!) and I never saw a band out there nor at the Beach House, even though I thought I had read they had live music there. The fryer at the Anchor Bar was broken, so we had to order kid's food from the Beach House separately from our order at the Bar. The firepit was really nice, and all the various seating around the grounds was a nice touch.

The biggest con was housekeeping. The first morning I went to make coffee and realized all the kcups for the Keurig was tea or decaf -- no regular coffee! We were down to less than 1 roll of TP but she didn't replace it during her cleaning, so we had to go seek out more at the front desk. We had eaten on the table, and when we returned to the room after cleaning, she had not cleaned the table at all, crumbs everywhere, nor had she even straightened out the beds (covers were on the floor etc). It looked like all she ever did was switch out towels and empty the trash, the rest of the room was untouched and not cleaned. On departure morning I had the Do Not Disturb sign up, and at 9:30 she knocks on the door and asks when we're checking out so she can clean the room. I was dumbfounded... check out was not until 11, and we had the sign on the door! I did mention to the front desk, and they apologized, but I knew this was an issue from reading previous reviews so it seems they need to really talk to/retrain their housekeeping staff.
We would definitely return here - the location was perfect in the middle of the island, Beach House so close for meals as well as Tortuga Jacks, and Beach Village just a short bike ride away.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ends of the hotel are closest to the beach, 1st floor better access to everything
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Hal S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2018

Dear GT Girl:

Thank you for sharing with us your review of our Holiday Inn Resort Hotel on Jekyll Island. I am so very sorry that our housekeeping department fell short of the mark. It is certainly our intent that our rooms are completed to perfection. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping staff.... your critique serves as a training tool for our employees and helps us see our actions and our service from a guest's perspective.

Your entire review has been shared with all of our hotel departmental staff. We are all intent on doing a much better job on a consistent basis.

Reviewed July 28, 2018

I can't say enough about the staff of this hotel. Chad at the front desk hands down should get employee of the year award. I watched him with other customers, and my interactions with him were fabulous. He takes the time to tell you about the property and helps you with just everythign.
Props got to Wayon as well - the light outside my room was out and he loaned me a flashlight. YAY!!! I stayed in 172 and would highly recommend this end of the hotel. I liked being on the first floor bc of the ease of popping in and out of my room and it was away from the pool and Tiki bar area - lots of foot trafffic etc as one might expect.
Jennifer gets the friendly bartendar award and Steven is right there with her on the service front. The food at the restaurant was good - ate there twice.
The rooms were very clean, beds super comfortable, big closet and the bathroom shower and layout awesome. Very comfortable.

THIS IS A GREAT HOTEL AND PRICE can't be beat for location and there is everything you need on property. Free coffee in the AM on the 3rd floor about the front desk but I had coffee in the room - just grabbed the creamers the night before.

The fire pits were lovely atmosphere and the walkways around the property were well lit but not too bright to ruin the atmosphere.

I went to the Village that is located right near the Westin - although nice. Nothing there that would make me pay the hefty price that comes with this chain. It was cold while this property was charming and not huge - very cozy - but not 'neighbors in your face' cozy. MIxed group of families, older folks - I'd stay here again without hesitation.

One learning I had for my first visit to Jekyll Island - these are not the pristine white sandy beaches. This is a marshy area however, if you don't mind swimming in ponds and lakes - not a problem I did NOT swim in this water. It was all about the pool for me.
The beaches are great for walking and it was very peaceful - LOVED the beaches here for that. Definitely make a point to go to Driftwood Beach - very cool.

Room Tip: I'd stay down on end where I did - my room was 172. 2nd floor rooms no doubt had better view. Unsure hotel has elevators for luggage
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled solo
3  Thank newcitygirl15

Dear newcitygirl15:

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts regarding our Holiday Inn Resort Hotel on Jekyll Island. Our team is so happy you enjoyed your stay and found it quaint, retro, and fun. We all look forward to you next visit. See you soon!!!

Reviewed July 28, 2018

Was excited about staying right on the beach and the view from our second story room did not disappoint. It was very nice being able to have such great beach access. The hotel looks pretty nice and is landscaped attractively. Lots of pillows for the beds and WiFi is good. Dogs are also welcome here and we saw a lot of them. That being said, we had a few issues that were aggravating. Right when we checked in, we had to call the front desk to bring us sheets for the sofa bed, batteries for a tv remote control, and fix a tv that had no reception. The young man that responded to our requests was super helpful and very nice. The next morning, we had to call maintenance because the toilet wasn’t flushing correctly, the toilet was not properly secured to the floor and rocked every time you sat down, and the toilet seat was too small for the toilet! Seriously? The maintenance guy was also nice and corrected all but replacing the seat, which was obviously not the right size for the toilet. As the week went on, the shower drained slower and slower and needed to be cleaned out. The whole room needed a really good cleaning and was kind of half done, in my opinion. The beds in this hotel are also very high off the ground, so if you are short, it is kind of a struggle to get in and get comfortable. Forget being able to sit on the side of the bed and talk on the phone because your feet will be 8 inches off the floor! The last day we were there, I called the night before for a noon checkout time instead of 11 am. The lady at the front desk assured me that was fine. So the next morning, the hotel system promptly locked us out between 10 and 11. Not a good experience. Thankfully, we had someone in the room who was able to let us back in to get our stuff or we would have had to trek to the front desk and get another key. So the hotel was just okay but with all the issues we had, I would really have to think twice before staying here again.

Room Tip: Get a room near the end of the hotel. It is quieter there and a second story room has a great view.
Stayed: July 2018, traveled on business

Dear Best Georgia Peach:
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our Holiday Inn Resort Hotel on Jekyll Island. Your critique has been shared with our entire staff (from maintenance to housekeeping). Comments such as yours serve as a training tool for our team members and it helps us see our hotel from a guest's perspective. The items your mentioned in your review have been addressed...including the mis-matched toilet seat.(how embarrassing on our part).

We hope that you will visit us again soon with the hopes that you will find our service and property to be exemplary.

Reviewed July 25, 2018

This IHG location is perfect for singles, couples and families if you relish the pristine peace of nature, and enjoy shopping in class and local offerings. What is most impressive and rewarding is the performance of the entire staff at this IHG location. Bravo and thanks to Joseph Mancini, Will and the staff for providing such wonderful service, such that I will return again and again. Heaven on Earth at Jekyll Island, with a home at this IHG location. You will enjoy!

Room Tip: Ocean front!
  • Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
Hal S, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2018

Dear Mister D:

The team of the Holiday Inn Resort Hotel on Jekyll Island appreciates your kind review of our hotel and staff. Will and Joseph are especially pleased of their mention! Thank you.