We stayed at Villas by the Sea for two nights, May 30 through June 1 2007. We rented a 3 bedroom condo,unit 348, which is in the Morgan building, oceanside. We paid an average of $288 a night (plus taxes & fees) for the 3 bedroom unit. We booked far in advance and got an internet special.
The only big complaint I can make is that after we checked in we walked into our original unit to find the TV on, a plate of half eaten pizza on the table, and trash everywhere. The front desk said housekeeping had given them a report that the room was ready, but it was obviously not. The front desk was very helpful, but this was very inconvenient and they almost could not find us a room because they were full. We had to be at a wedding rehearsal in an hour, and as a result of all this we were late. But the front desk was as nice as they could be. Another small complaint, our refrigerator "died" one afternoon, luckily we had no food inside. Maintenance came to inspect it within 30 minutes, but I'm not really sure if they fixed it.
So we then checked into 348. All units are privately owned and the decor and maintenanced varies. We found our unit to be clean and comfortable enough, although due for a little remodeling. The king bedroom upstairs had an "ocean view" (overlooking the shrubs and low trees you could see the ocean) and a sink in the room, but it shared a bathroom in the hall with the twin bedroom, also upstairs. Downstairs the Queen bedroom overlooked the parking lot and had a private bath, and the living area and deck looked out on a narrow grassy area and trees -- too low to see the ocean, but you could hear it and there was a pleasant breeze. A sidewalk to the beach was right beside our building and when the tide was out the beach was very pleasant. The beaches are typical for that part of the country, don't expect the big sandy beaches of the Gulf.
We were in town for a wedding and did not make use of any other amenities, but conveniently for us, Villas by the Sea is 5-10 minutes from the Jekyll Island Club Hotel, where all our activities were.
Overall, it was an average experience. We had a good time and felt that the unit was clean and spacious. But since a few things went wrong, and the units decor was a little dated, I can't give it a great recommendation. But it was pleasant enough. I wouldn't mind staying there again. I think this is typical of most lodging available on the island.
On a side note, from what we saw, Jekyll Island Club Hotel seemed like a wonderful, beautiful place to stay, but obviously more expensive. Although we were surprised that the food was not totally outrageously priced (burger, chips, & drink from the pool side grill for $10, breakfast buffet for $11).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas by the Sea Resort is an enchanting oceanside resort and conference center on Jekyll Island, Georgia. AAA 3 Diamond Rating. Choose from one of our 160 spacious one, two, or three bedroom villas whch are individually decorated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Groupon, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotwire and Cancelon so you can book your Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas By The Sea Hotel Jekyll Island
- Villas By The Sea Resort And Conference Center
- Hotel By The Sea
- Resort By The Sea