“Wonderful Summer Vacation on Jekyll”

and 1 more site!
Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Georgia
“Wonderful Summer Vacation on Jekyll”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

We just returned from our stay at Villas By the Sea on Jekyll Island. The Villa (Condo) was a 3 bedroom unit with 2 stories, 2 baths. We had plenty of space for the 6 of us (2 adults/4 kids). Each floor had a balcony with chairs and a table that overlooked a small playground. My husband was able to grill near the playground, and I could keep an extra eye on my younger 2 on the playground from the balcony. We would certainly recommend the Villas and Unit 231, in particular.

The beach is a short walk away, and the pool is HUGE, very well maintained, and CLEAN. The kiddie pool has a small fountain and a ride on toy for smaller children.

Everyone we met on Jekyll was friendly, laid back and pleasant - very accommodating. We felt welcome everywhere we went. It was early in June and the beach areas were not crowded at all, in fact my 8 year old asked us if we could find a beach with more people! We went to the public beach. We found more people, but not a crowd.

It's no wonder that they say once your feet have touched the sand, you'll return! We will be back! We LOVED the historic area, and are thinking of going back alone to stay at the Jekyll Island Club. I submitted photos of our Unit and the Pool ... hope they get posted.

• Stayed June 2006
7 Thank jinxme

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
gordon, ga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2006

My husband and I stayed at The Villa, May 24,2006-May 27. We were shocked when we walked into our villa. While, it did have the amenities listed, it was shockingly small. We chose this for 3 nights instead of staying at another location on the island that was listed for 87.00 a night because we thought we would have extra comfort versus a hotel room. Well, you do not always get what you pay for. We paid over $550.00 for 3 days and this was a discounted rqte. THe villa was no larger than a hotel room. We were disappointed when we walked in, but it was clean and modern, just cramped. The sofa and chair were very uncomfortable. Then it got worse, the bedroom consisted of a bed and nightstands. There was no dresser to put clothes or even to put a suitcase on. I was so tired and all I wanted to do the first night was lie in bed and watch the season finale of American Idol, but there was no tv in the bedroom. Of course, there was no place to put one the room was so small. I felt as if I were sleeping in a closet. A good point, the closet was half as large as the room or seemed to be. SOmeone on staff called to see if we were happy and I told her how I felt. She acted like who cares she just worked there. The toilet ran all night and maintenance was called in and then it was worse. When I took a bath I had to hurry because we kept running out of hot water. My husband would have to wait a little while after I got through before he could have hot water. It was pouring down rain and our keys would not unlock the door. We went to the front desk and they could have cared less, just said they had no clue why we were locked out. These are just a few of the problems we had. Most were problems that could have happened any place, but it was the attitude when we reported these problems .Upon check-out we asked to speak to the manager on duty and was told the only complaint was no tv in bedroom and this was a discount rate. I would have gladly paid a regular rate and had the comfort I expected from the picture on the internet. I would never stay in this unit again and am not sure if I would ever stay at this property again.

11 Thank bonnie a
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2006

My family and I recently stayed at the Villas by the Sea over the Memorial Weekend Holiday and loved it! Although the resort and Island seemed busy, we did not feel like we were crowded on the beach or at the pool. Our condo was larger than I had expected and stocked with more cooking supplies than other condos we have stay at on Amelia Island. I highly recommend this place and would return again. My wife and I really enjoyed sitting and relaxing at their ocean front gazebo in the evenings while we were there.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Smyrna, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2006

Initial impressions were good. However, we had roaches show up the first night. Then, the roaches showed up in the upstairs rooms, even on the bed. Housekeeping staff came around knocking and entering the condos on the morning of checkout 2 hours before the checkout time. No manager was on duty at all on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. The manager on duty Monday was only the "On Duty Manager". The general manager or anyone else with decision making abilities was gone for the entire weekend. The staff responsiveness was poor and there was not a single apology. The only response we received was that we had already gotten a discounted rate and that the general manager would be back on Wednesday. We will never stay here again and I will be advising everyone I know to avoid this place as well. We were very disappointed.

4 Thank GRGT96
Winter Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2006

Villas by the Seas handled a golf outing for 32 players flawlessly, from check-in to check-out. The facility sits on a prime piece of waterfront real estate on Jekyll Island and the newly renovated rooms are a pleasure to stay in. Staff is friendly and eager to help which contributed to a perfect weekend.

Highly recommended!

6 Thank IronmanGolf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2006

I attended an annual conference at the Villas by the Sea in April and once again I was impressed! I attend meetings and events all over and no other hotel has ever made me feel as comfortable as the Villas by the Sea. Each time I have stayed at the Villas by the Sea, which has been 3 times now, I have been greeted with smiles upon arrival and have always been impressed with my room which has always been different each trip. I look forward to my trips to the Villas by the Sea and wish more hotels were as nice.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2006

We attended a Spring Conference at Villas By The Sea and we were all VERY pleased with everything!!! The Villas (more like condos), were all very nicely decorated and clean, it was nice because we could share a villa (we had a two bedroom) and yet, did not feel as though our privacy was diminished in any way. The meeting rooms were great and worked very well for our agenda, and the food was delicious as well. What a lovely place to 'get away' from the hustle and bustle of where meetings are usually held, (Atlanta) - no traffic to fight, and people are so friendly and the atmosphere is relaxing. We really felt as though what we gained from the conference was so much more than if we had been in a large city and had to worry with parking, traffic, whether or not the hotel we got would be close to the meeting site, etc. We will definitely use Villas By The Sea again for future meetings or even retreats, and on a personal note - I will be back for a family getaway as well! Very nice indeed.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!