We have been to Jekyll Island several times, and it's simply fabulous for a total family fun getaway. Jekyll is a small barrier island off the coast of southern Georgia, and most of it is a state park, so over half of the island is completely undeveloped and in its natural state. The rest of the island is kept low-key and family-friendly. Miles of bike trails, miles of clean beaches, amazing sea turtle sanctuary, excellent golfing, really fun mini-golf, horseback riding on the beach, fishing, dolphin watching tours, interesting historic district with nice shops, and more. We rate our vacations by the number of T-shirt stores -- the more T-shirt and junk souvenir stores, the more commercial and (in our opinion) unpleasant the destination. This is a two-T-shirt-store resort island, so it's not very commercial at all!!
Villas by the Sea is one of the largest hotel complexes on Jekyll. Units are owned by individuals as condos, and most owners winter on Jekyll. Then spring through fall, the units are rented as full-kitchen hotel accommodations. Because units are individually owned, there is some variation in the quality between the units, but generally the units we've stayed in are well-maintained and well-equipped. The property is well-kept, the front staff is helpful, and the on-site restaurant is one of the most popular on Jekyll. There's an outdoor pool that is advertised as heated, however it's a solar panel heating system so during our visit early in the season, the pool was still icy cold. The beach in front of Villas by the Sea is only accessible for several hours twice a day at low tide, but there are several other beaches on Jekyll that can be accessed at high tide. It's also a very quiet resort, especially if you choose a unit away from the pool or playground area. The best thing about Villas by the Sea is its location on Jekyll Island, which is simple, clean, and truly wonderful.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Villas by the Sea Resort is an enchanting oceanside resort and conference center on Jekyll Island, Georgia. AAA 3 Diamond Rating. Choose from one of our 160 spacious one, two, or three bedroom villas whch are individually decorated. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Cancelon and Hotwire so you can book your Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villas By The Sea Hotel Jekyll Island
- Villas By The Sea Resort And Conference Center
- Hotel By The Sea
- Resort By The Sea