“Owen Reunion 2007”

Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Brunswick, GA
“Owen Reunion 2007”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2007

We hosted our Owen Reunion 2007 at Villas. We went to Villas to meet with Ryan Merritt to begin planning. He was always very prompt in responding to our requests as we planned for the reunion. We were so pleased with the renovations that have been completed. Our units were all so fresh and light. The pool area is very spacious and clean with an area for the little ones. The pool area has some shade throughout the day. One evening we had dinner at Villas. Other than some dropped communication. (we had notified them that all of our familyies would be at dinner at a specific time and evening), everything was handled beautifully. We had a wonderful reunion thanks in part to the Villas staff and resort. Jekyll Island is a wonderful spot to relax.

Ginger Miller
Brunswick, Georgia

Stayed June 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

We went in June of 2007. After spending the first part of the week in an amazing condo at St. Simons island, Villas by the Sea was a disappointment. Though we had asked for non-smoking, we were given a shabby smoking condo. When we asked for a change, they complied, but it was a confusing exchange. There is no beach to play on, just an observation deck. The pool is fine with a nice kiddie pool, but in general, not a very hospitable place to stay.

• Liked — Pool
  • Disliked — Run down accomodations
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank luligian
augusta, ga
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2007

I was looking forward to having a nice luxurious condo by the sea. I recently attended for a conference and was very very disappointed. The first condo I was in had mold. I noticed an unusual smell, but didn't realize until I saw it on the wall inside the pictures. I was horrified. It was really really bad. They offered another condo but it had the same smell. I was very unsure about it at this point. Luckily I was able to stay in another condo that was great. There were a few bugs here and there, but nothing other than an occasional fly or mosquito. This one was much nicer. I think it would be an ok place to go, just be very wary of things like MOLD!!!

• Liked — Proximity to beach
  • Disliked — MOLD
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank rodrigu9
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

I paid $300 for the summer romantic getaway thats found on their website. This is for 2 nights and included 2 tickets to the Summer Waves water park and a pail that contained cheap snacks that I didn't even touch. The beds were sagging and you'll have to drive about a mile to get to a real beach.
Simply put, you should look elsewhere for your lodging.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank YourFriendlyTraveler
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

I book hotels worldwide for both business and pleasure and have stayed in hotels for many many years and the customer service I received at this place was one of the worse I've ever experienced.

Although pleasently surprised at the layout of the condo and the initial amenities, the longer we were there, the worse our experience became. This place is completely lacking in customer service whatsoever and housekeeping is a joke. For the price we paid, you would expect clean rooms. But the only "housekeeping" that was accomplished the entire 4 days we were there was towel service. And that was foregone 1 of the days. They simply would drop off the towels and leave. No coffee refill, no sweetner refill, no bed service and obvious signs of no vacuum or even sweeping service. For the rates, what exactly do you get except a bed, that's it. On check-in the front desk staff's attitude was that we were inconvieniencing them. When we asked for a late check-out they generously gave us a whole extra 30 minutes.

As mentioned in many of the reviews that are on this hotel, the beach disappears for most of the day and evening, so don't expect to enjoy the beach at this hotel, unless you are an early riser.

Honestly there are better hotels on the island with much friendlier service and better access to the beach that I would recommend. Spend your money more wisely and forget the Villians By The Sea. Management seriously needs to spend some money on customer service classes.

• Liked — Multiple bedrooms
  • Disliked — customer service, or lack thereof
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
7 Thank plinebaugh
Winston, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2007

It's important to remember that these are people's personal condos, and not a hotel, so you're subject to whatever decorative whims your anonymous hosts happen to favor. This may or may not work out to your advantage. Also, many of the condos do not afford a view of the ocean, which, during high tides, comes right up to the resort's boardwalk, making accessing the beach impossible and really rather dangerous. The stay I had was not unpleasant, but it was not quite up to my expectations, either, since we could not see the ocean, pool or any other worthwhile amenity. Our condo also had no balcony, detracting still further from my expectations (I love getting up in the morning and taking breakfast on a balcony overlooking the beach). Our condo was on the second floor of a two-story building, and we shared a common door with the unit downstairs. Unfortunately, our neighbors were obliged to use this common area to store a lot of their stuff, and we could hear them come and go at all hours of the night. All in all, if you know what to expect, this can be a great place. The staff was courteous, the room was clean, and the resort was nice. However, I've stayed at a different hotel my last two trips, and I don't believe I'll be seeking out this resort again.

• Liked — Clean accomodations, pleasant staff
  • Disliked — Poor beach access, lousy views
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Noble_Scribe
JAX, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

It was a Family Reunion to Remember.

As a member of the hosting family of Jacksonville, FL for The Jacksonville Family, we had an excellent weekend at Villas By The Sea. The facilities and the staff were outstanding.

Our goal was to experience our family living in a community as a whole. This was accomplished and the staff at Villas By The Sea interfaced as if they were members of the family.

Our elderly was given that extra attention needed and our children enjoyed themselves so much, they never thought about leaving to go to "Summer Waves" .

The catered food was great and their staff was friendly and accommodating.

We continually get calls from family members and friends, who shared our weekend with us, telling us of the great time and service that was extended to them.

I have been involved with many event plannings prior to this one, so my hat goes off to Villas By The Sea for their wonderful Customer Service skills.

Stayed August 2007
Days Inn & Suites Jekyll Island
Ocean Lodge
Ocean Lodge
#4 of 10 in Saint Simons Island

Been to Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!