“Great Small Town Restaurant”
Review of 61 Main

61 Main
Ranked #1 of 55 Restaurants in Jasper
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My sister-in-law and I stopped in for lunch. We each had a cup of Thai Chicken Soup and split a Pressed Veggie Sandwich. Both were good. However, the restaurant touts that they use fresh, local, ingredients. They have a long story on the back of their menu. I didn't know coconuts grew in the Georgia mountains.

Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

I love 61 Main. One of my favorite restaurants in the area.

The last visit I informed the waitress I would not be returning. Not because of the food prep and taste but the you can not substitute vegetables on your main protein.

I don't like the vegetable that was being served with the meat I had selected. I ask to change the vegetable and was told the owner had made the decision to not let you substitute vegetable even if you could pay an up charge.

Wish they would change the policy. What a good restaurant.

Tadd S, Owner at 61 Main, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

AlMeyers,

Thank you for your review.

My name is Tadd Schreiber. I am one of the owners of 61 Main, along with my wife, Jenna, who is the chef. I am the night manager as well. I believe I remember your table from the other night.

From what I recall, you did request the change out your side, and yes, the server had told you we did not change out the side vegetables. That is all correct. The server did come and ask me about this prior to entering in your order. After discussing with the chef, we told the server to let you know we would change out your side on your dish and you decided to not change the side. I know I even came over to your table to make sure all was OK and you yourself told me it was fine.

The chef works hard to pair all of our seasonal vegetables with each of the entrees every week to try to create a complete dish, in hopes to have each item complement the other.

Anyway, I do hope that you might have a change of heart and we will see you in the restaurant again. We have appreciated your business in the past and would love to have you dine with us again.

I would love to discuss this with you in more detail. Please feel free to call me at your convenience and I would be happy to talk this over with you. My mobile # is 843.568.3931 or you can email me at tadd.sch@gmail.com.

Thank you again for your thoughts.
Tadd Schreiber
Co-Owner 61 Main.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Decided to take a long drive up to the Jasper area and by the time we were through antiquing, decided it was time for some supper. Based on several recommendations we decided to give 61 Main a try. To our good fortune, we weren't disappointed! Although the menu might seem a little limited, I'm sure there is something on it you can try. I had the trout and my wife had the chicken, and both were beyond excellent! Our visit was the highlight of our trip! We were greeted by the owner, Tad, who fixed us up with some mighty fine cocktails and gave us the history of his restaurant. The service was excellent, and I would be remiss if I didn't mention their luscious deserts! I had the Peanut Cake and my wife had the Carrot cake, both of which were exceptional. You won't find a microwave at this restaurant, as everything is prepared fresh per your order. They emphasize locally grown vegetables so you'll not find anything fresher. It was well worth the trip and we will return!

2  Thank drtufluv
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stopped there for lunch one day and I wasn't impressed. They are trying to be a gourmet type restaurant, which I don't like. To me, gourmet food looks great, but doesn't taste very good. They didn't have very much to choose from and the cost was high. The service was fine, but I won't be back.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We went with another couple for dinner (my first time) and we were very pleased. The beef noodle soup, admittedly a plebeian choice by me, was an amazingly great menu item! I had the beef short ribs which was incredibly good. My partner had the Waldorf Salad with chicken (with which our waitress recommended the bleu cheese dressing) and she thought it excellent also. Our server was attentive and very knowledgable about the entire menu. The wine selection is a little limited but certainly adequate, and deep. I am occasionally frustrated by restaurants that list wines that they are actually out of but they seem to keep the list current. Good for them!

Altogether, a very enjoyable evening and one that I would certainly look forward to repeating. I would recommend you visit, also.

1  Thank Steve M