“Good Catfish, No View”

Falls View Restaurant
Ranked #14 of 47 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 28, 2014

With a name like Falls View you would, reasonably, think that you could view the falls. Well, not really. The restaurant is near High Falls but there is absolutely no view. The interior is one high-ceilinged room with some side rooms. It all feels very institutional.

With a place like this it is best to stick with what they do best—frying. So we had their fried whole catfish, fried catfish filets and fried shrimp. All were very good. We thought that the whole catfish was a little sweeter and moister than the filets, but they are more work. The cheese grits were quite nice. The pickle plate was good. The coleslaw was the type bought in huge buckets from the restaurant supply store. It is better to go with the salad.

Service is pleasant. Unfortunately, cleanliness is not impressive. We usually don’t judge this kind of restaurant on cleanliness, but this place should have been better. The bathrooms were in huge need of a cleaning and remodeling.

Fried catfish is a nice occasional treat and this is as good as any other I’ve had. But I wouldn’t go much out of my way to return.

ccook1870, Owner at Falls View Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2015

You are right,there is no view anymore. But you have to take into consideration, the restaurant was built 46 years ago and trees grow. When it was first built,there was a view.Also it's more than a large room with some side rooms. We actually have 3 dining rooms and 4 smaller side rooms and can seat 300 people.
Also our coleslaw is made fresh daily. Never comes from a restaurant supply.I agree the building is old and a lot of things need remodeling but all that requires more money than we can put into it at this time. You see, this was my grandmother's restaurant and she was diagnosed with Alzheimer's a few years back and the restaurant kinda got dropped in my lap. We have had to rebuild the business that she had let go and be run by kids.So I'm sorry everything didn't meet your expectations but I do hope you give us another try. We are trying to make it a place people want to come back to.

Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

It had been a while since my family and I had eaten here (the last time left a lot to be desired). I had heard from a family member that they were doing better so we decided to try it out. We ordered the 1 1\2 lb of catfish to share. The fish were small bit good and we loved the cole slaw. Overall, stick to the catfish and you're okay bit the steaks, burgers, etc leave a lot to be desired.

Reviewed March 12, 2014 via mobile

It's been a while since I visited this restaurant . I remember they had good AYCE catfish. I searched the menu and could not find AYCE catfish. I asked our very friendly server and she said they replaced the AYCE with 1.5 pounds of catfish for 18 bucks. So I ordered the 1.5 and my wife had the catfish filets. Well the truth is that I could only eat 1.5 pounds of catfish . I was stuffed. They also give you hush puppies that were not fresh and hot. You will also get two kinds of very good pickles and onions. The sweet tea was good too. This place has that country charm to it. After dinner you can walk off your meal around the falls and river. Btw, this is the second catfish restaurant that had told me the AYCE catfish has been discontinued. Henderson's restaurant in Covington is still AYCE . At least it was a year ago.

2  Thank Chuck C
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Certainly in the top two best catfish restaurants I have been to. Wife and I had the 3 piece catfish fillet. The fish is perfectly cooked and seasoned. Not at all greasy. Cole slaw is different from any I have had but it works well with the fish. The tartar sauce is good and the hushpuppies were again some of the best I've had. Service was fast and the food was on our table in no more than 5 minutes. It is a family run restaurant with a comfortable homey feel. (Maybe it was the fire in the fireplace when you first enter.) So why only 4 stars? The fries were clearly frozen and just didn't measure up to the rest of the freshly prepared meal. We will definitely return the next time we are in the area.

2  Thank wkelly5688
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Great food, especially the catfish...fantastic owners and staff! They also have superb seafood and steaks. I drive 50 miles 2 to 3 times a month to eat here, which means I eat here often.

1  Thank MADISON B