“Average”

Fresh Air Bar-B-Que
Ranked #2 of 47 Restaurants in Jackson
Cuisines: American
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Stopped by this restaurant with my family (hubby, 3 kids, MIL and FIL) on the way to see Lane Southern Orchards. My MIL had seen a fabulous review of this place on TV. We and my in-laws like to test out BBQ places, as we have yet to be blown away.

Anyway, I like the history of this restaurant, the original building, and the atmosphere. Employees are very friendly, dining areas are clean.

The food was only average per BBQ standards to us. The sauce they put on our BBQ pulled-pork sandwiches was good, but all the sauce in the bottles on the tables were too vinegar-y...and no other options were available.

My 5-year-old wanted ketchup instead of BBQ sauce on his sandwich. He grabbed the ketchup bottle (your standard red picnic ketchup bottle), and poured it on his sandwich...only to find it was hot BBQ sauce! Really? Putting hot BBQ sauce in a standard-recognized red picnic ketchup bottle -- and with NO label on it? It seems all the red ketchup bottles on the tables had the hot BBQ sauce in it with no labels. We didn't complain, just gave my son some meat that hadn't been drenched yet.

The coleslaw was very, very sweet. My 12-year-old son liked the Brunswick stew.

Overall, average BBQ.

Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stopped in Fresh Air on our way home from FL back to Atlanta. Not too far from the highway, we heard this place had some of the best BBQ in GA; boy are we glad we stopped. The menu is limited, but when the food is this good, that isn't a problem. The brunswick stew is quite good, but what really sets this place apart is the BBQ sauce. Flavored with hints of vinegar and other deliciousness, the sauce was some of the best I have ever had(you can buy pints, quarts, etc...of the sauce to take home).
Will definitely return!

Reviewed June 28, 2012

If I am ever forced to be traveling through the Middle Georgia area, I always make the detour to go here. It makes the trip worthwhile.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

The food used to be great but for some reason things changed and the flavor is just not there anymore.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

When you do something well, you don't need to do anything else! Fresh Air BBQ has been in operation since 1929. At this original location, they only make BBQ pork and Brunswick Stew. You can have a BBQ plate or sandwiches...Vinegar-based sauce has changed very little through the years.