“Top notch food”
Review of New Dawn Inn

New Dawn Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Norton
Description: A very warm welcome awaits you to what was once the Kings Head situated in the village of Norton situated on the A38 between Tewkesbury and Gloucester. The Kings Head ceased trading in 2011 and was totally refurbished during the early months of 2017 and re opened in August 2017 as the New Dawn Inn It was decided to give the old name a rest and start with a new fresh beginning A new Dawn.  The proprietors have quite a bit of experience in the trade, having run restaurants and bars in Gloucestershire for well over 20 very successful years. We employ 4 highly trained chefs (not cooks) who are deeply passionate about what they produce and our head chef coming from a 4 star Cheltenham hotel. tel- 01452 730001 info@newdawninn.co.uk we operate a no children policy as we wish adults to take the time to relax and enjoy high class food in a child free environment. There are a number of great children venues in the local area that cater for children. where we take ours.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited this time with my husband, seated quickly by the lovely Hannah, ordered drinks and made our choices fromw the extensive menu. I had salmon and brie to start my husband chose calamari, to follow I had seabass the other half had beef pie which he said was great, everything was served piping hot and beautifully presented. Service as always friendly and warm, my favourite place to eat wether as a group or just a date night with hubby, keep up the great work guys.

2  Thank Pioneer66981811557
Write a reviewReviews (460)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely new clean appearance, friendly staff. Some nice choices on the menu, nice to have local items too. Service was pretty quick, food was nice, nothing to get too excited about though just decent pub food. Good homemade lemon meringue pie. The coffee needs some work, the latte was served in a glass (my pet hate) and it was tasteless, like the coffee had been used already and the milk hadn’t been warmed just poured straight on. If in the area we would pop in again but we’d avoid a coffee

1  Thank LandBW7568
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

i have eaten here maybe three times in the last six months. It is on the way from my home to my friend in Cheltenham so a good halfway meeting point.
The food is good pub food at reasonable prices. It is not average food at inflated prices nor is it gastro pub food at gastro pub prices.
We always have pies in our group. Sometimes we all have pies and sometimes we have a bit of a pick and mix. We noticed the menu has changed.
My friend is a sucker for faggots so ordered them with the usual onion gravy, mash and peas. Three of us had the pies, two chicken and one beef.
Faggot girl was in heaven, loved the faggot AND the gravy. I had my usual chicken pie but quickly realised it wasn't my usual chicken pie which is creamy with bacon and apple and has the most delectable crisp pastry. This was partially cooked pastry with an odd taste. The filling was the sort of chicken and leek that every man and his dog can produce. My other friends had a sirloin of beef pie with a madeira gravy. I'm sorry . to say the pastry was the same disappointing leathery affair as the chicken. The beef was not tender and the sauce quite bland. If you are going to talk the talk you sure have to walk the walk. The description bigged the pie up. Sadly it didn't deliver. First of all the beef in the pie was not sirloin and neither should it be. Why on earth would you use a roasting cut of beef for a pie? Secondly it was described as simmered overnight in red wine. If it had been simmered overnight it would have been meltingly tender. It wasn't.
As for the " fine Madeira gravy " It tasted of just a plain gravy. Why would you use Madeira in a gravy. What a waste. You would use it to deglaze a pan maybe and then serve that with the pie.
What has happened here is the chef who made the delightful pies we have had in the past has left, taking his pie making skills with him. Wherever he has gone to they have an asset. These pies are not fit for purpose. I would take them off the menu and replace with something else or learn to make a proper pie pastry. My very hardy friend managed to finish her pie. Sadly my other friend and I couldn't cope with the pastry.
Would I go back? Probably but leave the pies well alone!

Date of visit: September 2019
jennytullwarts1, Manager at New Dawn Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

we appreciate your comments but just to let you know the 4 chefs that started here over 2 years ago are still here
and full of enthusiasm and a passion for cooking.
Also we stopped selling chicken pies on the evening menu some time ago so not sure on your comments here.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

What a lovely evening. The staff were friendly, welcoming, and knowledgeable about the menu. The food was beautifully cooked and the portions a good size. Thank you, we will be back.

1  Thank BumbleOnTour
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The lady who served us was lovely very helpful, it went down hill from there, the starters came out my partner had stone cold calamari to which he couldn't eat, my starter would have been lovely if it hadn't got so much bottled chilli sauce, a bit of advice a drizzle of homemade chilli and lemon dressing would have been much nicer.
We both had the same main course as we liked the sound of Firecracker knowing that meant spicy, we were very disappointed as it wasn't spicy at all in fact it was very bland and tasteless although the chicken was nice and moist.
We have eaten here a few times and not been disappointed before we weren't asked throughout the courses how the food was but a table of 4 across from us were asked several times as they obviously knew the staff.
It Would have been nice to have been treated the same as other customers
We won't be in a rush to go back which is a shame as it is only 2 minutes from where we live.